SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Wheel Bearings... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/wheel-bearings-29466/)

VTArrrgh! 11-17-2012 07:40 AM

Wheel Bearings...

Any issues with replacing the stock ball bearings with roller bearings? Pros? Cons?

Thanks!

smokinjoe73 11-17-2012 03:05 PM

On the wheels? I have not heard of this being done or even possible but I guess anything is. Have you found roller bearings to fit? I always do the steering head but never heard of wheel done.

HRCA#1 11-17-2012 05:04 PM

I've been in around motorcycles for over 40 years can honestly say I've never heard of it nor can I recall ever even discussing it. I'm sure there is a legitimate engineering reason that it's not done but I can't elaborate on it.

comedo 11-17-2012 05:09 PM

+1 to smokinjoe73
Ceramic wheel bearings are the only upgrade I'm aware of.They're expensive and whether they provide any significant benefit for street riding is debatable. Properly installed, well greased stock wheel bearings with good seals will last a very long time.

Tweety 11-18-2012 12:29 AM

Needle bearings have less tolerance for side loads... The wheel bearings experience high sideloads... There is a reason nobody's done it...

VTArrrgh! 11-23-2012 03:01 PM

Not needle bearings, Tweety - roller bearings. I was wondering about the sideload subject though. Based on the anatomy of each bearing, how would a sideload affect a roller bearing differently than a ball bearing?

http://media-1.web.britannica.com/eb...4-CA4BDEA9.jpg

E.Marquez 11-23-2012 03:28 PM

Needle Not made to handle side loads.
Cylindrical roller bearings like you pictured, two inner lip, can handle light thrust loading only.

Tapered, spherical , and thrust roller bearings are designed for thrust loads.

The Ball bearing is designed to handle both thrust and radial load... just not as much radial load for a same sized roller bearing or as must thrust as a tapered roller... ball bearings are a compromise load deal. But when spec'ed and sized for the radial and thrust load needed,,, a perfect bearing for things like motorcycle wheels.

smokinjoe73 11-23-2012 09:07 PM

Even if you could use tapered roller bearings I have never heard of it being done and the real question is why would you devote any energy to the idea?

This is only one tick away from trying to re-invent the wheel.

E.Marquez 11-24-2012 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 345350)
Even if you could use tapered roller bearings I have never heard of it being done and the real question is why would you devote any energy to the idea?

This is only one tick away from trying to re-invent the wheel.

Not sure who your asking that of.... since no one suggested doing so..... (the OP spoke of using roller bearings and posted a pic of cylindrical roller bearings).

But to your question.... I would not :p

To the OP.

What are you trying to achieve by using an other then ball bearing in this application?

More hours between failure?

Less rolling resistance?

More radial, static or thrust load capacity?

Easier availability?

WHAT?

Ons'Ro 11-24-2012 11:01 AM

Harley-Davidson used tapered wheel bearings up to 1999 model year. They are high maintenance as they reqire inspection and reseal, with new wheel seals and grease, every 5k.

HRCA#1 11-24-2012 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ons'Ro (Post 345364)
Harley-Davidson used tapered wheel bearings up to 1999 model year. They are high maintenance as they reqire inspection and reseal, with new wheel seals and grease, every 5k.

That's interesting and I never knew that, but then again I've never owned a Harley. I've seen a bunch on the side of the road but never owned one myself!!!

mikstr 11-24-2012 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ons'Ro (Post 345364)
Harley-Davidson used tapered wheel bearings up to 1999 model year.

There you go, the perfect reason NOT to use them....... btw, funny how it only took them 96 years to figure that one out.... lol