SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   What's up with SLIP-ONs? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/whats-up-slip-ons-8287/)

mikecronis 03-12-2006 01:09 AM

What's up with SLIP-ONs?

There seems to be a trend on these "slip-on" mufflers here. Maybe I'm confused and someone could educate me a little on this but I thought that:

1. Slip-on mufflers were wrapped around or "slipped-over" the current muffler.
2. It adds weight to the bike.
3. It adds noise.
4. It's WAY overpriced.
5. It does nothing performance-wise.
6. It looks sort of cool.
7. It discolors the exhaust pipe due to the clamp (most of them).

Five seems a bit touchy because I can think it -might- add back-pressure to the exhaust system by sound-waves back towards the headers a tiny bit, causing them to run a little hotter maybe a degree or two, depending on the sound frequency, or quite just the opposite.

Are these things correct? If so, why do people get them and not a full system? Seems like a waste except for some cosmetic benefits.

sprhawk neil 03-12-2006 06:21 AM

Re: What's up with SLIP-ONs?

slip ons do not slide over stock pipes they mount to the collecter pipe were the stock pipes are clamped on.they do drop weight I do not know how much maybe 5-7 pounds.I do beleive if you jet the bike you will get performance gains.they will be a little louder but should sound great.and finnaly they seem tereblly over-priced hope this helps

Skipperdabio 03-12-2006 11:33 AM

Is this guy serious?

sprhawk neil 03-12-2006 11:41 AM

I could not tell but I replied any way!!!

AZZKIKER 03-12-2006 11:46 AM

Let's all sue the aftermarket companies. LIARS!!!

mikecronis 03-12-2006 12:56 PM

They mount over the "collector pipe"? What is that exactly? Is it the two stock mufflers or their internal works that are perforated?

Honestly, I've never seen a slip-on before installation. I've purchased Muzzy mufflers which completely replace the old, existing muffler, which I assume are called bolt-ons, and I've purchased complete exhaust systems which include the headers and installed them, but I've been totally confused on what the heck a slip-on system is.

From what I'm guessing here is that you remove only PART of the mufflers, the outside part or metalic "wrapping" part (in our case, both silver-ish metalic cylinder muffler casings) and replace them with a different shaped muffler, such as a Muzzy carbon-fiber oval or something?

Certainly re-jetting will improve performance depending on your application, but just changing the muffler casing would probably only bring a 1 or 2 Hp gain at MOST, no? Wouldn't it be far better to buy a bolt-on or complete exhaust system than just replace the shell of a muffler? I have a suspect it's like the K&N conspiracy that only the re-jetting causes the Hp gain.

AZZKIKER 03-12-2006 01:01 PM

Slip-on=bolt on muffler.

sprhawk neil 03-12-2006 01:04 PM

follow your stock mufflers pipes to were they go under the swing-arm there are pipe clamps and a few mounting brakets remove these and the stock mufflers come off you order your slip-ons and put your new slip-on mufflers on they are made to replace perfectly you do not need header pipes as they are already stainless

mikecronis 03-12-2006 04:50 PM

Ah, I see now. Thanks!

Is rejetting required for bolt-on aka slip-ons?

Skipperdabio 03-12-2006 07:20 PM

Rejetting is required for best performance. Your bike comes jetted lean from the factory and when you do exhaust and or air filter without rejetting it makes this even worse.

mikecronis 03-12-2006 08:50 PM

175/178 was factory jetted too RICH for Denver. I had to go 172/175. Would I go back to stock jetting?

mikecronis 03-14-2006 12:22 AM

Akrapovic explains that a Bolt-On muffler replaces just the canister (like just a muffler on a car). A Slip-On system replaces the canister and the link-pipe connecting to the header (so like a cat-back on a car which includes the muffler).

Akrapovic also explains their Bolt-On system is cosmetic only and provides zero gains except noise.

I had the terms reversed.

vitter 03-17-2006 07:05 AM

the term slip on is from way back in the day when mufflers did not bolt to the pipes, they were built as one piece. If you wanted an exhaust you could get a full system or a slip on. For the slip on you had to cut off the original exahust, or disconnect it after the collector under the bike, and the aftermarket piece slipped on the existing pipe.

Harry_w 03-19-2006 07:22 PM

I thought slip-ons were mufflers that slipped onto the header pipe and were held on with springs....thats the way my Two Brothers cans are on my bike.....going back a ways, my 85 FZ750 had a Hindle slip on. On the engine, short pipes were bolted to the engine at the exhaust ports, bout 2 inches long. Then my header fitted over these and was held on by four springs at the engine. Then the muffler was pushed onto the end of the header and was also held on by springs and a clamp around the muffler to fasten to the frame...

Loco 03-20-2006 09:12 AM

1) The superhawk does not use bolts on its muffler cans. A bike like the SV1000 from Suzuki does, however. The "bolts" are located right where the springs are on your (and my) Two Brothers Exhaust. Instead the VTR aftermarket cans "slip" onto the midpipe provided by your manufacturer. The stock cans (and the associated foot or so of mid-pipe) are removed when you put on an aftermarket system. Many times you will have to use aftermarket exhaust hangers also, due to the new configuration.

2) Stock cans are about as heavy as you get, and in no case will switching to slip-ons increase the weight of the exhaust.

3) It does add noise, and that's probably the number one reason people get aftermarket slip-ons

4) They are fairly expensive, but like any other good mod for the Superhawk, you gotta pay for what you get.

5) Since these pipes typically give increased exhaust airflow, your bike will tend to run more lean than at stock, so you will probably want to re-jet to a richer set of jets. Stock bikes run lean as it is, and richer jets are a good idea, if nothing but to prevent engine damage from running a super-lean mixture. This increased airflow and fuel will translate to extra power (UP TO A POINT because the cylinder can only combust so much).

6) True that. They do look cool. In fact girls often ask to sleep with me just because my exhaust pipes look so shiny.

7) Negligible. And besides, the "clamp" is way under the rear cylinder, completely out of visual range. Remember, your slip-on system usually comes with a mid-pipe.

Pretty much the only difference between a "Slip-on" and "full system" is the replacement of the headers. The full systems allow for better airflow over the stock system, but I think THAT is the overpriced aspect. Full systems are like $1000 versus the slip-ons which retail around $400-700 typically.

This concludes our broadcast day. You stay classy San Diego.

superhawk22 03-20-2006 09:38 AM

Unless you don't care if it's brand new, then keep your eyes on sleezbay. I just bought an Indigo full system for $80, the cans were smashed but the head pipe was good. I didn't care because I just used my 2Bros cf cans instead. Which I also got off ebay for about $150.

Harry_w 03-20-2006 05:23 PM

Gotta agree with you about the 2 Bros pipes....nice deep throaty sound.
Last fall a few of us went out for a ride, friend who came along had a VTR with stock pipes. We stopped at a donut shop and when we came out of the shop, some teens were eyeing our bikes....mine a bright yellow with the 2 bros and undertail and my friend with the stock VTR...They loved it when I revved up my bike, laughed at my friends.....
Another friend ended up changing the stock cans for Scorpio's over the winter and they are pretty nice sounding as well.....

cb21983 03-24-2006 07:48 AM

Save yourself some money and just do the baffelectomy!!! My pipes kick A$$

penst8grad 03-24-2006 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot (Post 19029)
Unless you don't care if it's brand new, then keep your eyes on sleezbay. I just bought an Indigo full system for $80, the cans were smashed but the head pipe was good. I didn't care because I just used my 2Bros cf cans instead. Which I also got off ebay for about $150.

You must collect exhaust systems. :lol:

You had just bought when when you sold me those cans. The do sound sweet even if they don't boost performance.

BirdofParadise 03-24-2006 02:36 PM

Ahhh!
The ground shaking, gut wrenching, throw you down and stomp on you sound of the Super Hawk with a good set of slip ons. :twisted:

Sounds like a top fuel dragster...what a rush!

As long as I have ear plugs I'll never go back to a docile exhaust.

Got to love our VTRs. :wink: