SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   What Stainless Steel Brake Lines to Buy??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/what-stainless-steel-brake-lines-buy-10394/)

gpz4jp 01-23-2007 07:01 AM

What Stainless Steel Brake Lines to Buy???

I saw a nice pair of stainless brake lines in the Dennis Kirk catalog for the Hawk for $52.99. They are made by Russell. The description says they come with everything I need to attach (all hardware). My concern is that they do not go from the calipers directly to the master cylinder. How can I find this out? The clerks probably won't have a clue. Any recommendations on what brand to buy and/or how long the lines need to be so I can remove that rubber "Y" bracket that both current lines go into and directly route to the master cylinder? What have others done to improve the brake feel? I'm also ordering new EBC HH sintered pads for the front/rear. Just bought a 1999 (Bright Yellow) and have ridden twice since last weekend. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!!! I've been an in-line 4 guy and rode a CBR600 before (my last bike). Someone on in the forum wrote that after riding the VTR1000, the CBR looks and feels like a toy bike.....I think I have to agree. Of course, what other bike has all the character of the VTR anyway and with Honda reliability? Enough said. Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I can get the front brakes shaped up and this bike will truly be "THE ULTIMATE"!!!!! Thanks again for all the help. This forum is awesome.

gssbmm 01-23-2007 07:28 AM

I have the russell lines and they go stright to the MC. I've loved them so far much stronger brakes, and better feel then the stock lines.

Birdoprey 01-23-2007 07:41 AM

Russell used to be the standard for SS brake lines so you probably can't go wrong with them.
that's a good price for a front set. you might check ebay. so, both russell and goodridge have two lines from MC to calipers. the goodridge has plastic coatings to protect the bike and even come in different colors to coordinate. except their 'race' lines which are a smaller diameter and have no plastic coating. that's what I have and really have no issues with rubbing except at full right steering lock when they lightly rub the inside of the fairing.
in summation; decide if you want plastic coatings, what color you'd like and check this forum for info on installation and bleeding.

gpz4jp 01-23-2007 08:38 AM

Thanks Birdoprey!!

Appreciate the feedback. May go with the plastic coated to protect the fairing.

JP

Scooberhawk 01-23-2007 12:22 PM

Stainless steal isn't supposed to rust; but, at least on any street bike, my s/s brake/clutch lines will be coated for water sealing and piece of mind.

And I got 'smoke' Galfers that seem to go well with the '05 paint scheme.

Birdoprey 01-23-2007 09:23 PM

good point. I hadn't thought of rust...but, hey I'm in FL. No problems, right?

jschmidt 01-24-2007 06:43 AM

Gafler, Goodridge, Hel, Russell. Take your pick.

mikstr 01-24-2007 06:49 AM

Hey guys, get this, he THINKS that adding the SS lines will make it perfect. How quickly you will learn that you just can't stop there, lol

Now, start modding :)

In all seriousness, congrats on the new bike and welcome aboard :)

iamanonymous 01-24-2007 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 40173)
Hey guys, get this, he THINKS that adding the SS lines will make it perfect. How quickly you will learn that you just can't stop there, lol

Now, start modding :)

In all seriousness, congrats on the new bike and welcome aboard :)

so true. anyone know of any 41mm forks with radial calipers? haha

mikstr 01-24-2007 07:50 AM

There is a chap on the Speedzilla site (Varium) who made a radial brake adaptor kit for the RC...looks pretty sweet. I have often thought about that for the VTR but, as I don't own a CNC machine (nor do I do any track days, ...) it is just a dream.

altosuperhawk 01-25-2007 06:29 AM

If you visit the "Clearance" section at the Muzzy Performance site you'll find black stainless front lines for $29.95 for the VTR. About 6 weeks ago they were clearing out full stainless systems with your choice of Titanium or Carbon Fiber mufflers for $195.00. Caused a bit of a feeding frenzy amongst Bandit 1200 owners.

Hawkrider 01-25-2007 10:07 AM

Hey, good call on that special at Muzzy's. I just ordered myself a set. The Galfers I have are getting a little ratty and there's a spot where the coating is coming off. Plus, I'm kinda doing that white/black motif, ya know. :)

EngineNoO9 01-25-2007 10:54 AM

my buddy got the brembo MC for his rc51 and says it's sickening good. Absolutely amazing. The 5/8" + better calipers is fine though with ss lines and good pads. I'm going to be getting goodridge lines all around, already have the clutch and have to re-order fronts and probably buy a rear while I'm at it

BLAKCK HAWK 01-25-2007 05:17 PM

will theze s/s lines fit the rc51 mc?

jschmidt 01-25-2007 05:51 PM

RC/954 brakes on a VTR is a great setup. Did mine for 100 bucks.

supertwinSH 01-25-2007 06:36 PM

Just got me a set too! Great deal!

Randman 01-25-2007 07:07 PM

I noticed after adding the RC51 calipers that the lines seem just a tad long, not that big of a deal, but I wonder will the RC51 lines work better?? or will they be short?? Anyone, Anyone...thanks

Hawkrider 02-01-2007 05:16 PM

Just got my Muzzy brake lines delivered today. These are nice. Much nicer than the street lines from Galfer or Goodridge. These are smaller in diameter, probably closer to a race quality line. Can't wait to get them installed. Of course it's like 10 friggin degrees out (non-insulated garage) and I haven't even had the opportunity to finish up rerouting the Scottoiler lines yet, though I did at least start that project. And of course I won't be able to fully test any mods until late March or so. :( :banghead:

supertwinSH 02-01-2007 05:22 PM

Very cool Hawkrider....I can't wait to get mine! Sounds like we REALLY got a good deal. I am just ready for this winter weather to get lost! Spring PPPPLLLLEEEAAAASSSEEEE come soon!

altosuperhawk 02-02-2007 07:56 AM

Glad you're satisfied with the brake lines Greg. When I posted the details of the Muzzy 'closeout' exhaust sale on a Bandit site guys went nuts. One even ordered 4 systems for re-sale on the site and on e-bay. In hindsight I should have ordered another full Muzzy ti system for my Bandit- especially at $195.00!

skokievtr 02-02-2007 08:00 PM

Greg,

Per your comment: "I haven't even had the opportunity to finish up rerouting the Scottoiler lines yet"

Do you want pics of how I installed my Scott Oiler. I also have a formula for mixing substitute Scott Oil.

You got up to 10 degrees! What balmy locale to you live?

B

Str8away Hater 02-02-2007 08:58 PM

Well I'm sad to say Muzzy sold out of the front lines for the VTR. Did anyone happen to uy an extra they would be willing to pass on ;)?

Hawkrider 02-02-2007 09:28 PM

I've got the routing all figured out. With the single sided exhaust it's a little more tricky. I'm going along the bottom of the swingarm, around the top of the sprocket cover, up and back toward the subframe. It'll look pretty hidden when I'm done. I had a mix of 30W and Marvel Mystery Oil for a while. I just recently bought another bottle of Scottoil because I had to place an order for parts anyway. A pic of your routing would be cool though. Never hurts to see new ideas.

supertwinSH 02-03-2007 05:47 AM

Got my lines today!

There in! I got them today....can't wait to install....My brake mod will be complete! Oh...I need to get a Master cylinder banjo bleeder bolt first.

What a deal!

skokievtr 02-03-2007 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 40954)
I've got the routing all figured out. With the single sided exhaust it's a little more tricky. I'm going along the bottom of the swingarm, around the top of the sprocket cover, up and back toward the subframe. It'll look pretty hidden when I'm done. I had a mix of 30W and Marvel Mystery Oil for a while. I just recently bought another bottle of Scottoil because I had to place an order for parts anyway. A pic of your routing would be cool though. Never hurts to see new ideas.

Greg,

I sent you some pics. For the substitute Scott Oil, I ran a series of controlled viscosity tests per ASTM/SAE spec. I ended up with about a 65/35 ration of chain saw blade "oil" (very sticky though hypoid 80/90 gear oil can be used with some fiddling) and Marvel Mystery Oil. At the standard 70 degrees it runs pretty much like the real thing with minimal fling and drys to a similar black powder that brushes off. At 1/3 the cost it works about as well. They usually have a Scott dealer at the annual mc shows.

Is the new Duc 1098 sweet or what? Too bad the valve lash adjustment intervals are so low (stated at 9000 but I heard thats rubbish).

Bret

Hawkrider 02-03-2007 08:36 PM

Hmm, interesting. Yeah, the 30w that I use requires that I have the adjuster on minimum to achieve the 1 drop/minute that I like. Funny how we both use MM Oil. :) I have some 70w engine oil that I may try after using the Scottoil I just bought.

Yup, the 1098 is mighty sweet. Though if I want outright power I take the 1000RR. She may have to go on a diet though...or maybe I should....:roll: