SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   What size is the clutch hub nut? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/what-size-clutch-hub-nut-33674/)

ZERO 12-16-2015 01:39 AM

What size is the clutch hub nut?

I just ordered a PRO shifter kit for my wifes 2002 Superhawk. (She has a hard time with the 1st to 2nd shift)
Does anyone know off the top of their heads what size the clutch hub nut is to remove the clutch basket?
I'd like to have all the tools I'm going to need ready.
Thanks.

Wicky 12-16-2015 08:45 AM

Bookmark this

RonAyers Honda VTR parts diagram - Clutch

Aquasnake 12-16-2015 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 392373)

I believe Zero is probably looking for the wrench size not the thread size?

Might the info be in the S/M?

kenmoore 12-16-2015 10:40 AM

From memory it's 30mm for the nut.

It's a good idea to replace it as it is staked.

If you are careful you can re use it.

E.Marquez 12-16-2015 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 392376)
From memory it's 30mm for the nut.

It's a good idea to replace it as it is staked.

If you are careful you can re use it.

30mm is what i remember as well, though with 4.5mm to 78mm sockets if I gabbed the wrong one, i just grab another. so I may be off on my memory.
As for the staked nut.. As long as the staked area does not fall in the exact same spot that needs to be restaked the nut can be used.. and truthfully, staking is not needed... if you use the proper anaerobic thread locking compound. Just dont forget to heat it to 250c before trying to remove later.

ZERO 12-21-2015 07:21 AM

You'd use RED locktite or BLUE?

E.Marquez 12-21-2015 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ZERO (Post 392478)
You'd use RED locktite or BLUE?

I use high strength thread lock (colors are not always tied to a "strength and type, ie there are several reds, greens, ect and they have vastly different uses)
So something like Loctite 271
http://www.loctite.com.au/aue/conten...tion_Guide.pdf

ZERO 12-22-2015 01:41 AM

Thanks!
I'm also doing another oil change and coolant change since I need to drain the systems anyway. (Apparently, it's almost guaranteed that I'll get some coolant in the oil during the job.)
I'll post on what the kit comes with. it mentions a gasket, but, not exactly what gasket.
Should I go ahead and get one ordered from Honda for the clutch cover? If so, I'll also order a new hub nut.

ZERO 12-22-2015 02:16 AM

I just placed an order through RON AYERS for a lock nut, washer, water pump cover and right side clutch cover. It was only like $35.
This way I'll have everything I need to finish once I get started.
I also purchased a clutch basket holding tool for the job.

ZERO 12-28-2015 06:01 AM

I just mounted Conti Attack tires that I got from Cycle Gear for about $165 front AND rear!
I'm also painting the wheels red to match the bike. (The black is all grey and crusty looking.)
Might as well do a few things while waiting on my parts.

ZERO 12-28-2015 06:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by ZERO (Post 392568)
I just mounted Conti Attack tires that I got from Cycle Gear for about $165 front AND rear!
I'm also painting the wheels red to match the bike. (The black is all grey and crusty looking.)
Might as well do a few things while waiting on my parts.

It's HONDA rattle can red with AUTOMOTIVE TOUCHUP.COM 2K clear coat on top for durability and shine and ease of cleaning.

ZERO 12-30-2015 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ZERO (Post 392569)
It's HONDA rattle can red with AUTOMOTIVE TOUCHUP.COM 2K clear coat on top for durability and shine and ease of cleaning.

An update.
I got my Honda parts.
The nut IS INDEED a 30mm. And it is an unusual 12 point staked nut that will need a 12 point impact socket. I bought one.
Now I'm waiting for my shift kit.
I'm all ready.

kenmoore 12-30-2015 06:09 PM

Good Luck.

Yes it is almost impossible not to get some coolant in the oil when doing the clutch.

Please let us know your impression when the shift kit is fitted.

I for one don't have any problems with the way my gearbox shifts, however I have rear sets, loaded up the shift lever shaft and am pedantic about my chain tension.

ZERO 01-04-2016 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 392605)
Good Luck.

Yes it is almost impossible not to get some coolant in the oil when doing the clutch.

Please let us know your impression when the shift kit is fitted.

I for one don't have any problems with the way my gearbox shifts, however I have rear sets, loaded up the shift lever shaft and am pedantic about my chain tension.

Yeah. Like I said, first into second is a long throw, but I never miss the shift. The wife has small feet and finds neutral every time.
The kit came today and it comes WITH a new clutch cover gasket. Nice little bonus but I already bought a genuine Honda. It also has some instructions. Kind of a no brainer.
I'll be fitting this in the next few days.

ZERO 01-08-2016 11:37 AM

The job is done. It took 3 hours.
The tranny shifts very well and clicks into second gear everyone with just a light push on the lever.
I took the clutch apart and mismatched the friction and drive discs. Now the clutch is noisy. Maybe I'll replace it. Maybe I'll live with it.

kenmoore 01-08-2016 05:18 PM

my clutch is as noisy as and has been so for a long long time.

Maybe that is why people mistake my VTR for a Duc.

ZERO 01-12-2016 06:13 AM

I had forgotten to tension the two gears at the crankshaft as the book says.
There are three springs and its kind of a pain. However, the noise is now 100% gone.