SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   What chain do you recomend? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/what-chain-do-you-recomend-27937/)

georgiadawg 04-01-2012 02:28 PM

What chain do you recomend?

It's time to replace the chain on my superhawk, and I wanted to know what chain everyone would suggest?

comedo 04-01-2012 03:30 PM

I'd recommend a D.I.D. 530 ZVM-X chain with new AFAM sprockets if you ride a lot, plan to keep the bike for a couple of years and want to spend the money.

meanhawk98 04-01-2012 03:56 PM

here's the chain i went with, in my case the sprockets were good so i did just the chain, works perfect

530-120 2001 Honda VTR1000F Super Hawk X Ring Chain Heavy Duty Motorcycle New HD | eBay

1971allchaos 04-01-2012 04:10 PM

I have installed this D.I.D. 520 ZVM-X chain, also replaced the front and rear sprockets at the same... 16 up front, and 43 in the rear...
The 520 is gonna save you weight, and in just as realible as the 530.. I installed the same chain on the RC-51s. So no concerns with you breaking the chain- not with a S-hawk..

matt365 04-01-2012 04:12 PM

DID would be my reccomendation as well. I've used RK chains and had success with them too.

I've got an RK GXW 520 X-ring chain on my 929 with a Sunstar front sprocket, and a Vortex rear. I've heard complaints about the Vortex sprockets (teeth shearing, fast wear...) but in the last 12,000 miles or so they've held up real well.

I'd stick with a 530 chain on the VTR for street duty.

7moore7 04-01-2012 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos (Post 328857)
I have installed this D.I.D. 520 ZVM-X chain, also replaced the front and rear sprockets at the same... 16 up front, and 43 in the rear...
The 520 is gonna save you weight, and in just as realible as the 530.. I installed the same chain on the RC-51s. So no concerns with you breaking the chain- not with a S-hawk..

You won't break it, but it'll wear out faster.

Not trying to say that 520 shouldn't be recommended with regards to performance gain, but there has to be some downside...

;)

Upland111 04-02-2012 08:10 AM

+1 above. That would be my question. Would those of you who are running a Quality 520 (like the DID mentioned), weigh in on how much wear you are getting? Obviously it is going to be difficult to determine, based on how much the right hand is twisting. Probably no two riders alike.
I guess if one can afford to replace it sooner then there would not be an issue, per say. I like the weight advantage of the 520, but currently on a 530, it's a trade-off I suppose. Thanks

altosuperhawk 04-02-2012 10:00 AM

I'm running the EK ZZZ X-ring 530 on four of my older liter bikes. Higher tensile strength than the DID, RK, Tsubakai, or Regina. I've not had to adjust the ZZZ on any of my bikes. Plus they come with two neat little contoured spacers that drop between the sideplates on the master link so you can't screw up the installation by overtightening with your peening tool. My one experience with a RK 530 SO O-ring chain was underwhelming. The steel JT sprockets machined in Thailand were nicely manufactured too.

killer5280 04-02-2012 10:52 AM

I haven't had good luck with second tier chains from any of the major makers. Currently running RK520GXW, which I believe is the top of the line from them. I have never had to adjust it and it has been one the bike for a few years now, but I don't know the mileage.
Can't tell any performance difference with 520, but tensile strength isn't an issue for any of the chains.

NHSH 04-02-2012 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 328940)
I haven't had good luck with second tier chains from any of the major makers. Currently running RK520GXW, which I believe is the top of the line from them. I have never had to adjust it and it has been one the bike for a few years now, but I don't know the mileage.
Can't tell any performance difference with 520, but tensile strength isn't an issue for any of the chains.

As long as the 520 chain is from the highest grade, you should not see much of a diffidence on the life span. In any case this is a matter of preference like the oil threads.... All the good chains work much the same way in both 520 and 530 with a bit of weight advantage for the 520.

7moore7 04-02-2012 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 328950)
As long as the 520 chain is from the highest grade, you should not see much of a diffidence on the life span. In any case this is a matter of preference like the oil threads.... All the good chains work much the same way in both 520 and 530 with a bit of weight advantage for the 520.

Totally an oil thread!

Still, I hold to the idea that all other things being equal, a 530 chain will last longer than a 520. A properly maintained 520 will last longer than a neglected 530, but now we're adding outside factors! Also, a 520 sprocket is thinner and more prone to wear. 530 just has more metal that you have to wear through!

After that, it's all personal preference... if you maintain your chain and are less choppy with the throttle and want the performance gains of a 520 (especially at no extra immediate cost) then I say smart move.

If you're like me and commute nearly every day on the bike and don't clean the chain but every two weeks, and am willing to sacrifice extra rotating mass that I won't even notice on the street, 520 may be an unnecessary conversion.

NHSH 04-02-2012 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 328955)
Totally an oil thread!

Still, I hold to the idea that all other things being equal, a 530 chain will last longer than a 520. A properly maintained 520 will last longer than a neglected 530, but now we're adding outside factors! Also, a 520 sprocket is thinner and more prone to wear. 530 just has more metal that you have to wear through!

After that, it's all personal preference... if you maintain your chain and are less choppy with the throttle and want the performance gains of a 520 (especially at no extra immediate cost) then I say smart move.

If you're like me and commute nearly every day on the bike and don't clean the chain but every two weeks, and am willing to sacrifice extra rotating mass that I won't even notice on the street, 520 may be an unnecessary conversion.

True, it's a given, 530 have more metal and probably will last a bit longer, but the little extra miles you can get out of it is most likely not very significant either.
How many times are you going to replace the chain if you maintain it correctly for the life of the bike? if you even going to keep it that long? ;)

In my case, I am ready to forgive the 520 for doing a little less miles for the performance I get out of the light weight. The total package of light chain and light sprockets do make a difference, at list for me that is :)

7moore7 04-02-2012 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 328957)
it is most likely not very significant either

The importance that you place on that significance is probably going to be the deciding factor in the chain that you buy. Well, unless only one of them comes in the color, price range, delivery time, sprocket size, or brand that you prefer!

Either way, I am not trying defend my choice, just trying to give reasons for both. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 520 chain to someone who wanted the benefits from it!

P.S. I'd probably notice the weight, but this bike is more than enough for me as it is so I wasn't too concerned staying with 530.

NHSH 04-02-2012 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 328962)
The importance that you place on that significance is probably going to be the deciding factor in the chain that you buy. Well, unless only one of them comes in the color, price range, delivery time, sprocket size, or brand that you prefer!

Either way, I am not trying defend my choice, just trying to give reasons for both. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 520 chain to someone who wanted the benefits from it!

P.S. I'd probably notice the weight, but this bike is more than enough for me as it is so I wasn't too concerned staying with 530.

No worries, as I said it is like an oil thread! Your choice is as good as mine ;)

jeephawk 04-02-2012 11:14 PM

Super Bike Supply - Your source for sportbike parts and accessories geared for racing and street bikes and their owners. : EK 520 Conversion -

hands down the best deal out there. good 520 chain and great sprockets.
super light super strong steel sprockets. running 4k on mine so far and no problems. i went 2up on rear and love it.

superhawk22 04-03-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by jeephawk (Post 328983)
Super Bike Supply - Your source for sportbike parts and accessories geared for racing and street bikes and their owners. : EK 520 Conversion -

hands down the best deal out there. good 520 chain and great sprockets.
super light super strong steel sprockets. running 4k on mine so far and no problems. i went 2up on rear and love it.

Wow that is a great deal! I've been using 520 for about 8 years now, but with aluminum reader I eat through those way before any chain problems. Track days chew the hell out of rear sprockets oh and wheelies are probably the worst thing for them as well. ;)

jeephawk 04-03-2012 10:30 AM

Just to note. On their website there isnt a listing for our bikes, but just call them. They are real nice and they know vtr1000s, so they will get you what you need. Also you can specify what tooth combo and they can get you that. The rear sprocket is a pretty good one for steel. It hard anodized too I believe.
Yeah its way better than the aluminum sprockets.
Like I said the chain is a pretty good one too. Just keep it clean and itll last.

NHSH 04-03-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22 (Post 329000)
Wow that is a great deal! I've been using 520 for about 8 years now, but with aluminum reader I eat through those way before any chain problems. Track days chew the hell out of rear sprockets oh and wheelies are probably the worst thing for them as well. ;)

If you going to continue using Aluminum sprockets, use only AFAM the rest are pretty much crap. AFAM using the correct technology to make the sprocket allot stronger. Or just get the Superlite sprocket, very small difference in weight but will last you as the chain.

georgiadawg 04-08-2012 02:06 PM

how much difference will you see between the 530 and the 520?