SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   weird popping (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/weird-popping-31104/)

blown98gt 09-15-2013 03:24 PM

weird popping

Okay so i have 98 superhawk. dual Jardine slip on exhaust. K&N high flow filter. Block off plates. Ignition timing advance +4 degrees

Okay so ive always messed around with the jetting trying to get it right. always seams to chasing my tail no matter what. Its pretty close now where it is. stock pilots and i cant remember what size mains. But recently i just put in the timing advance and then maybe 3 weeks later it started to pop when you decelerate. I guess my question is what is going on? it has never ever done it before even when jetted badly. I rode it to school fine then when i started it up in the afternoon it just started popping. Its a loud popping coming from the exhaust. Also what are you guys running for jetting with the same setup i have? I know my pilots need bumped up but she runs good and never really sputters only when shes cold and its a hesitation in throttle. I just do no think the poppping is jetting related.

7moore7 09-15-2013 04:07 PM

Here are a few things to get you started. It would be good to look at 8541Hawk's carb setup thread for jetting suggestions. One thing you will find is that many people have a hard time with K&N on this bike and get much better results with a stock paper filter.

Second, I remember reading somewhere that the earlier VTR's don't benefit from an ignition advancer. Don't remember what years or why, but it could have something to do with less stringent emissions standards and those earlier years having different ignition from the factory. May be something worth looking into. I know that it's not a hugely popular mod, and some folks take theirs out after installing it.

cybercarl 09-15-2013 04:20 PM

Second, I remember reading somewhere that the earlier VTR's don't benefit from an ignition advancer.
Later years not earlier. The upgraded models where Honda added the HISS ignition, digital dash etc. Apparently the ignition map in the ECU was changed.

First thing I would check is for any exhaust leaks as this will cause some popping on the overrun.

(:-})

RoadManiac 09-17-2013 02:49 PM

i have no idea how it works or looks regarding the ignition advancer but ive seen something of a half gear looking thing online
maybe its come loose or stuck you said it happened 3 weeks after the advancer, our bikes vibrate alot as i dont need to tell you
just do some trouble shooting with it take it out inspect it
do a run without

blown98gt 09-19-2013 01:56 PM

I personally noticed a big deference in the timing advance. But that is keyed on there only one way so its not like it can move. and if it came loose i would have a much bigger problem that would be noticeable

cybercarl 09-19-2013 03:25 PM

But that is keyed on there only one way so its not like it can move. and if it came loose i would have a much bigger problem that would be noticeable
I agree. It's very unlikely that it will move or come loose once fitted.

You have to understand what the advancer does. The +4 ignition advancer is a mechanical device and attached to the primary drive gear and as much as I understand gives (I think magnetic signal) to the ignition pulse generator that sits above it. So the positioning of the cogs on the ignition advancer are the key here as they pass over the pick up on the pulse generator. It then sends a signal to the coils which tells them to fire a spark. So by changing the ignition pulse generator rotor, as it's called in the manual, to a more advanced one (+4 advancer) you altering when the signal is sent therefore changing when the coils fire a signal to the plugs. The pulse generator and rotor are a bit like the old points we used to get in distributors.

The improved fuel efficiency, is more of a side effect of advancing the timing as you get a cleaner burn in the combustion chamber from igniting the fuel even sooner (more degrees BTDC) as the piston is coming up on the compression stroke. The more efficient burn is also where you get the increase of power from.

As for the popping on the overrun/deceleration the first thing you should check is for any exhaust leaks around the seals. Also removing the PAIR system will cut down any popping.

blown98gt 09-22-2013 09:14 AM

The PAIR system is already blocked off. And there are no exhaust leaks. I didn't think this popping was from the advance because Ive never head of it doing that. And i actually didn't notice an increase in fuel mileage after the advance was put in. I still got 150 miles to the tanks and then my fuel light came on

cybercarl 09-22-2013 11:17 AM

I take it that they are standard Jardine's and have not been chopped down into stubbies or anything silly like that. So no exhaust leaks or vaccum problems then the only thing left then has got to be either timing or tuning problems. I'm a bit stuck now with the info that I have to work with.

kenmoore 09-22-2013 01:48 PM

I have a 4 degree ignition advancer on my 2005 with pair blocked and have not experienced any problems such as you describe, However If it was me I would be checking all breather hoses on the air filter and cylinder heads.

You may find one not fitted properly, or one disconnected!!!!!!!

blown98gt 09-29-2013 10:51 AM

Yea Im going to take it apart later this month when i put it away fro the year. Btw with 110 octane gas the poppping is gone. But a misfire on top end.

blown98gt 09-29-2013 10:52 AM

and yes they are just stock jardines. Also was your advancer loud? From the moment i put mine in its make like a clicking sound. Almost the sound you get when a valve ticks.

blown98gt 09-29-2013 11:13 AM

from the sounds of it i thin i should put a stock filter back in this thing. If i loose something or not i dont care i just want it jetted better

MotoHawk 09-29-2013 07:44 PM

Sometimes the exhaust gasket between the rear cylinder pipe and the rest of the manifold will go out and need to be replaced. My Hawk had that problem emerge in the middle of a road trip. Lots of cool, but probably bad, popping/misfires.