SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Wave of poo. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/wave-poo-29213/)

jdobeckj 09-22-2012 12:58 PM

Wave of poo.

And just when you think you have it all buttoned up.. here we go.. Replaced the guts of the petcock/diaphragm. After inspection (from a non qualified inspector-ME) the insides looked good, no cracks in the rubber and spring was in great condition. The bike is all back together, all tight, vacuum hoses new and routed well away from rub spots and heat sources……. The bike fires and purrs, sounds AWESOME at 1200rpm idol?? When I run her down the street at roughly 4000-4500 in any gear she has the same shitty symptoms, she sounds and feels like she is choking out. A complete loss of power until I drop her down to 2000 rpm then she runs solid.. WTF, this is a continuation of posts carb hell, rear cylinder :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Wicky 09-22-2012 01:10 PM

Best keep problematic diagnostic threads in er one thread as this saves everyone rehashing what is what, and what's where....

So far you have 5 threads revolving on your problem.

jdobeckj 09-22-2012 01:21 PM

Im trying, for some reason on my computer it doesn't want to, apologies.

Wicky 09-22-2012 01:26 PM

From your history

You've had R/R failure - Therefore possible damage caused to electrical components.

Replaced CCTS - is the timing right and not set 180 degrees out? Vacuum hose connected correctly?

Bike knocked over - Wires knocked / air leaks in intake sytem?

And removed your choke cables - Have you replaced them?

Have I missed anything?

edit.

Originally Posted by jdobeckj (Post 342178)
SOOOOOOOO, :) after ripping that damn thing apart a half dozen times, (swapping out carbs to diagnose an issue) redoing every vacuum line, becoming very intimate with my carbs both inside and out.... it all came down to a misplaced vacuum line to the bottom of the petcock (PVLIR)... Thank you 7 moore .. again you bail me out.. so I guess I owe you at least a pallet of beer..... and extensive help on your jeep.

Ill drop off your carbs on Saturday ...

7moore7 09-22-2012 07:25 PM

I was just over at J's place for awhile and we went through quite a bit and are knocking things off the list that it could be.

I'll see if I can't get all of it into one thought here.

^R/R failure did happen awhile back for him.

Bike was running fine for awhile after that (2 months?). We replaced his CCT's and adjusted the TPS two weeks ago. Bike ran great after that.

Then garage accident occured (tipover) and bike won't run properly. Here's what it's doing. It will start up and idle just fine. It will continue to idle without dying seemingly indefinitely. It will rev in neutral up to 9krpm (we did this once just to see). Under load, on the street, it will cruze fine until 4krpm, then it boggs down and has a hard time recovering.

Here's what's been looked at:
We had two eyes setting timing for CCT's. Shouldn't be this anyway b/c it ran great for a week. TPS is still locked down. Symptoms say that it's not timing anyway...

It's not PVLIR ;)

Petcock is working. Sucking on vacuum line will cause fuel flow. It's been removed and cleaned anyway. Carbs are working. He swapped in mine just to see if anything was different and the bike reportedly acted just the same. Compression was in the mid 150's. There is spark.

He has blocked off the choke for now. He took a bolt with the same threads as the plastic housing and screwed it in lightly so the needle seated itself. I wouldn't think that this would cause a problem? Seems to be an OK fix until he needs a choke...

Seems that fuel is fine and air is fine. Unless there is a vacuum leak somewhere- which I wouldn't think it would be able to rev when un-loaded it would still stop at 4krpm right? It doesn't cut out like a bouncing kickstand switch.

So we ended today thinking it must be the coils, or perhaps the ICM. 12 year old coils taking a garage drop may just have been the last straw. Is there anything else to test?

scottiemann 09-22-2012 08:24 PM

If it was dropped on its left side and it seems to be an electrical problem I would check the main fuse, maybe a hairline crack in the fuse enough to allow it to run great without too much vibration...

Swap the whole power cable and main fuse and swap out the battery with a known good battery...

Wicky 09-22-2012 11:37 PM

Spark plugs / Coils or ECU / Ign module ?? - try swapping them for known good uns

VeeTR 09-23-2012 02:53 AM

Sounds alot like the Cdi or ignition module are faulty alright

Tweety 09-23-2012 12:54 PM

I'd say it's either the choke fix that's not a great idea, or perhaps the sidestand switch... If it wasn't for the choke, with those symptoms I'd guess the sidestand...

Hawkrider 09-23-2012 04:58 PM

Check plug wires are fully seated on the plugs and that the wires are fully seated on the boots. Had the wire come loose from the boot once and it acted very similarly.