SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Waterpump removal??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/waterpump-removal-9090/)

Blurr 07-06-2006 11:34 AM

Waterpump removal???

Anyone know how to take out the waterpump shaft out of the engine cover???

I am trying to replace my engine cover from a crash but cant figure how to take this thing out

Lefin102 07-06-2006 11:43 AM

You will need to press it out! You can try a large C clamp and maybe a large socket on the fin end. The seal should be replaced at this time it is a standard carbon face mechanical type so make sure yo don't tuch the face surfaces with bare hands use rubber gloves. You might be able to reuse the seal but since you went this far why not replace it! Your Honda dealer can get it for about $30.00.

Blurr 07-06-2006 11:51 AM

What do you mean the seal ? or the bearing ? please explain

RCVTR 07-06-2006 12:51 PM

The water pump has oil on one side and water on the other. There is a combination seal that keeps the two separate. It was the cause of water seeping on the early bikes out of the water pump housing.

It presses in to the housing behind the impeller. I agree, you should replace it.

Blurr 07-06-2006 01:07 PM

weird too mines a 98 and my case isfrom a 99 and it has a little line coming out on the side thats not on my 98 case

Lefin102 07-06-2006 01:07 PM

The case has a lip in side: on one side is the bearing on the other is the oil seal and the coolant seal which mates with a ceramic seal/washer on the impeller.

You need to be carefull and not bend the impeller on the shaft when removeing or handling the shaft!!

Its not to hard to do if you have the ability,if not take it to your Honda dealer. It takes about a half hour so what will it cost maybe $40.00.

Don't bang on the shaft!! This might damage the bearing.

Lefin102 07-06-2006 01:10 PM

They added a drain hose on the later models. There is a weep hole in the 98 case.

Blurr 07-06-2006 01:11 PM

So on the 99 case just plug it off ??? or ?

Lefin102 07-06-2006 01:15 PM

The 99 case will work just fine. One more thing you need to think about is scraping the old gasket. Don't use a steel scraper this might scratch the surface. Or use it but be carefull. I made a scraper out of a piece of copper pipe. Works OK but I think you can buy a hard plastic type which is safer on alluminum.

Lefin102 07-06-2006 01:17 PM

DON'T plug it.

Blurr 07-06-2006 01:19 PM

just leave the little thing open ? will it not leak ???

plastic scraper ok hmmmm sos pad or something not too too hard i gotcha

Lefin102 07-06-2006 01:35 PM

It shouldn't leak unless the seal is bad. Leave it alone. Or you could add about a 10 inch piece of hose to it and run it out the other side with the fuel tank vent hose which is how its done on the later bikes.

Blurr 07-08-2006 01:56 AM

Ok done and done going to put it all back together do i need a waterpump gasket or can i just use silicon

E.Marquez 07-08-2006 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Blurr
Ok done and done going to put it all back together do i need a water pump gasket or can i just use silicon

You really should use a gasket.....bits of silicone in a motorcycle motor is bad,, happens all the time, when people try and save a $ or 2 on a new gasket, or take a short cut. And on the water pump itself the correct gasket will set the correct gap between the impeller and the housing.

E.Marquez 07-08-2006 06:15 AM

And one more thing..... The impeller has to be pressed in to a very specific depth.......... Otherwise it will grind away on the case. Check the manual for the depth.and how to measure it

Blurr 07-08-2006 11:32 AM

Looks fine a shop did it but ill check when
I go to put it back on

Blurr 07-10-2006 08:08 AM

Engine hot....

How warm should my engine run.... its running between the middle and 3/4 to the H.... bikes a vtr1000 with no fairings I saw a little rad leak around the hoses but and I felt all hoses were hot so Im pretty sure the water pumps working and moving it through the system... I did just have the water pump off putting a new clutch cover on so ..... Please help also dont seem to haved the fan coming on....

Marino German Baez 02-27-2018 12:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Blurr (Post 88639)
Anyone know how to take out the waterpump shaft out of the engine cover???

I am trying to replace my engine cover from a crash but cant figure how to take this thing out

i am having the exact same problem right now I am stuck with that water pump, ho were you able to get it out of there?

Wicky 02-27-2018 10:22 AM

See post 2

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...090/#post88640

Originally Posted by Marino German Baez (Post 405552)

i am having the exact same problem right now I am stuck with that water pump, ho were you able to get it out of there?

E.Marquez 02-28-2018 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Marino German Baez (Post 405552)

It has to be pressed out, use a protector cap when pressing on the end of impeller shaft. and your receiver on the other side needs to have a non marring flat surface where it touches the case cover. I machined mine from a billet of aluminum.

After cleaning and inspecting parts it will need to be pressed back in to a very exacting spec.. This is not something you hit with a hammer