SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   want to do a carb rebuild (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/want-do-carb-rebuild-28344/)

dr_gonzo 05-20-2012 11:58 AM

want to do a carb rebuild

Hello,
I'm new to the forum. Great place by the way. I have a 98 and it sat for a while. I know for a fact the Carb jets are nice and clogged. Bike runs good but still chute looses fuel president often. Have a friend who told me a Carb rebuild would make it a brand new bike. That the performance would be extremely better.

Now enough babbling, my question is is it worth it to rebuild the carbs on my own. How difficult of a project is it. Is it easy to f**k up. You know. The normal questions. Is it a safer rout.to just buy a new set? Someone please let me know. I have the next two days off and would like to get the project.done in that time.

Thanks

8541Hawk 05-20-2012 12:03 PM

Well even though I have no idea what this means: "still chute looses fuel president often."

I would say that the carbs should be pulled and cleaned. I would replace the pilot jets but the mains will be fine.

If you want you can do a little modifying while you are in there. Go to the tech section and read the carb set up thread.

So if you are mechanically inclined go ahead and pull them and give them a good cleaning.

You might also want to read up on pair removal and setting the TPS sensor before you pull them.

dr_gonzo 05-20-2012 12:10 PM

That was supposed to say " but it still tends to loose fuel pressure" dam auto correct haha

dr_gonzo 05-20-2012 12:11 PM

And my main question is it a huge pain in the ass to clean them

8541Hawk 05-20-2012 12:14 PM

Well it is a gravity feed system so you are not really loosing fuel pressure....

I did also answer your question in the other thread but down load the service manual from the knowledge base, read the carb section and then feel free to ask any question you have about pulling them apart or what to clean or how to get them back together.

The first tip is only do one carb at a time because there are a few parts that are different between the front and rear carb ;)

7moore7 05-20-2012 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by dr_gonzo (Post 333005)
And my main question is it a huge pain in the ass to clean them

Not really, but it does take a bit of time. But you don't need special skills and tools or anything. Also, if you do decide to pull the carbs and clean them, be careful with the little plastic pieces that attach the choke cables to the carbs. They can be broken if you're rough with them.

CrankenFine 05-20-2012 01:01 PM

And when you go to determine mixture screw bottom - be sure to turn the screws VERY gingerly. It's easy to damage the taper tip of these brass mixture screws - and don't ask me how I know this!

dr_gonzo 05-20-2012 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 333006)
Well it is a gravity feed system so you are not really loosing fuel pressure....

I did also answer your question in the other thread but down load the service manual from the knowledge base, read the carb section and then feel free to ask any question you have about pulling them apart or what to clean or how to get them back together.

The first tip is only do one carb at a time because there are a few parts that are different between the front and rear carb ;)

Yes thank you for the input. I actually got the bike checked out and it wasn't a knocking like I was worried about. Turns out the engine is just loud. LOL. As I said I'm new to these bikes. Ill be home free with some clean carbs

dr_gonzo 05-20-2012 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 333008)
Not really, but it does take a bit of time. But you don't need special skills and tools or anything. Also, if you do decide to pull the carbs and clean them, be careful with the little plastic pieces that attach the choke cables to the carbs. They can be broken if you're rough with them.

Thanks a lot man. I just worry about making a relatively small problem a huge one Haha. I downloaded the pdf manual but it didn't lookalike there was too much about taking apart and rebuilding the Carb. Do you know of any good sites that would have good info and plainly pictures (preferably in crayon Haha)

7moore7 05-20-2012 02:52 PM

Well, reading through this thread should help a little. See post number 12 for getting to the carbs...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-set-up-24769/

Once you get the carbs out, just take the bowls off one at a time like 8541Hawk said and thoroughly clean all the little pieces in them with carb cleaner. Pay special attention to the pilot jets (the long skinny ones). There are some very fine holes in them that are hard to clear. Actually, some of us just buy new pilot jets as they are pretty inexpensive.

98hvtr 05-20-2012 05:30 PM

the manual for a newby

Hello. I too am new. Just bought a 98 yesterday with 43K on it. Oil smells like gas. PO says it has been on side stand for about a year. My guess is it is going to need valve adjustment, carb rebuild and the cam gear thing/s done.
I am not a mechanic, I'm in healthcare. I can read though, so I got that going for me. So, any repairs/maintenance I do will need step by step instructions preferably with pictures. I heard about a shop manual. I don't see a "tech" section link. I can't find the pdf download for the shop manual. Is there anyone on here that can give me a link to it? Thanks. Yes, 1st and foremost I will change the oil/filter. What oil do you guys prefer? Twin motorcycle synthetic?
I'm in Seattle if there are peeps around here that ever want to listen to all the sounds my new bike makes. Any specific or general advice is greatly welcomed. Especially the kind that will keep my bike from eating itself. Oh, and any jokes even if they are at my expense is equally appreciated.
Thanks guys and girls.

saige 05-20-2012 05:41 PM

here is the manual.
make sure to check most of the knowledge articles,alot to read
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-manual-11365/

98hvtr 05-20-2012 05:47 PM

Thanks for the manual link

Thanks a lot. That was quick!

saige 05-20-2012 05:55 PM

we try to help,start a new thread intoducing yourself and pics of bike and such so we dont clutter this thread.by the way welcome to the site ;)

7moore7 05-20-2012 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by 98hvtr (Post 333036)
I can read though, so I got that going for me.

And type too, I see! You'll go far!

The two things other than regular maintenance that you seem to be familiar with are the CCT's and R/R. You'll want to replace the CCT's as soon as possible 'cause they will make the motor pac-man it's own parts if they go out. The R/R has a tendency to fail too, generally undercharging the battery and possibly leaving you out wherever you take your shawk.

GTS 05-21-2012 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 98hvtr (Post 333036)
I'm in Seattle if there are peeps around here that ever want to listen to all the sounds my new bike makes.

Good to see more Western WA guys on here. I'm just across the bridges in Issaquah. If you need a hand or have questions just give me a shout.