SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   VTR1000F Transmission Issues (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/vtr1000f-transmission-issues-29260/)

DirkDD 10-04-2012 08:18 PM

VTR1000F Transmission Issues

I just got a super cheap 99' VTR1000F with 70k miles. It has issues with 2nd Gear. I was thinking of getting a complete transmission from a bike with far less miles under its belt, but was curious about compatibility from other years.

I could probably get away with just replacing the set that handles the 2nd gear. What do you guys think?

7moore7 10-04-2012 08:45 PM

Try changing the oil first... this bike's second gear is pretty clunky in general (but fairly robust- there are others on here with more miles on a stock tranny), and new oil may be all it needs. All year's motors are compatible with each other if that doesn't work though...

DirkDD 10-04-2012 09:04 PM

Awesome.

Thanks, I will try to change the oil first.

Although 2nd gear drops to Neutral everytime after 5k rpm.

Thats great news about the engine parts. Thank you for the information.

merckid 10-04-2012 09:40 PM

probably have a bent and worn shift fork...the dogs on the gear and slider are probably worn too. as time goes on the rpm at which it pops out of gear will be lower and lower...If you wanted to replace just the worn parts you would have to replace the fork, slider and the gear...probably be cheaper to just get a used tranny though.

VeeTR 10-05-2012 02:04 AM

Seeing as most the VTR's in breakers have dead motors from cam chain tensioner or big end failure,finding a good used gearbox should be handy.If it were me Id swap out the whole lot while your in there

JamieDaugherty 10-05-2012 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by merckid (Post 342806)
probably have a bent and worn shift fork...the dogs on the gear and slider are probably worn too.

+1

That's a very common diagnosis for the problem desribed.

Originally Posted by VeeTR (Post 342808)
Seeing as most the VTR's in breakers have dead motors from cam chain tensioner or big end failure,finding a good used gearbox should be handy.If it were me Id swap out the whole lot while your in there

My experiences are that almost all VTR's in salvage yards are there because of a crash, not a mechanical failure. It's a Honda don't forget.

VeeTR 10-08-2012 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty (Post 342829)
+1

That's a very common diagnosis for the problem desribed.

My experiences are that almost all VTR's in salvage yards are there because of a crash, not a mechanical failure. It's a Honda don't forget.

Oh she's Honda no doubt.....still though Ive come across a fair few blown motors ,luckily I like to take care of mine so hopefully it will serve me well:D

Oh and we don't have so many crashed examples cause we have a considerable amount of cornering experience this side of the globe lol

Bandit400man 10-08-2012 06:42 PM

Oh and we don't have so many crashed examples cause we have a considerable amount of cornering experience this side of the globe lol[/QUOTE]

Where ya from?

DirkDD 10-16-2012 12:18 AM

So, I was just quoted $1000USD minimum to rebuild the tranny. That is splitting the case, replacing the worn part (could be more than 1000 if there are more parts worn) and a full engine gasket kit... Does this sound right? I have a few mechanic friends, but they dont really work on bikes... would it be worth a try to break her open myself (ourselves).

JamieDaugherty 10-16-2012 04:13 AM

I would say you are looking at about $200-300 in parts (maybe less if you are lucky). It sounds like your shop is assuming a full engine teardown and reassembly. That's not necessary to split the cases, and you only need a couple of gaskets that can be purchased separately. The heads do not need to be pulled, so it's actually pretty easy to do once the engine is out of the bike.

That said, their quote of $1000 isn't crazy outrageous. Most shops are around $90/hr and they are probably expecting an entire day of work. Pulling the engine from the frame is much of the labor. You might be able to get off cheaper but not by much. The only way to make a big dent would be to do the job yourself.

Good luck!

HRCA#1 10-16-2012 06:38 AM

You could probably pick up a lower mileage motor for @$500, still an unknown though.

RCVTR 10-16-2012 08:42 AM

There are not a lot of special tools required to do the job. If you have a mechanic friend that you trust and a reasonably clean indoor workspace, it is not too difficult.

You will need:
Special frame tools to get the engine back in the frame and mounted with the proper prestress on the frame, or take it to the dealer to have the proper torque settings applied.

A special puller to remove the flywheel. You can buy the tools with the money you save by not taking it to the dealer.

A factory service manual.

A couple of special tricks for removing the flywheel and primary drive gear bolts (shop towel in the gear teeth, primary drive gear bolt is reverse-threaded) and clutch basket (leave the clutch plates in place, unstake the nut and remove it with an impact wrench).

Hondabond, NOT silicone RTV on the dry mating surfaces, as indicated in the manual.

Side cover gaskets and shaft seals.

Good, used transmission.