SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   VTR running rough (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/vtr-running-rough-29759/)

teh1034 01-26-2013 12:49 PM

VTR running rough

I'm new to the forum and new to working on my motorcycle in general. The bike has needed a good amount of TLC, but as of a few of months ago, it was running great again (I rode it from Kansas City to New Orleans). It didn't get ridden much in the last three months and when I tried riding it, it was running very rough. I managed to clean the carbs (impressive for me considering my near lack of mechanical ability), but the bike still isn't running 100%.

While riding yesterday, I noticed that the bike is not accelerating well and the bike seems to be louder than usual. It really only feels like it is running like it used to from about 4.5k to 5.5k (midrange?). I took the carbs apart thinking that perhaps I hadn't done a good job cleaning them or perhaps I knocked some crud loose in them, but they are nice and clean. Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong here? Sorry if I am not giving enough information, any help would be appreciated.

Wicky 01-26-2013 01:25 PM

Greetings

When was it last serviced i.e plugs, airfilter etc.

seems to be louder than usual.
?? type of noise? Are your exhausts nice and tight? header, link pipes, carbs properly seated...

ps On the site if you search is a downloadable PDF Honda service manual for the bike.

cybercarl 01-26-2013 03:04 PM

I will take a wild guess! What's the odds on this being PLVIR Vacuum connected wrong and the noise is the exhaust popping and banging more.

Check the petcock. the nipple on the bottom of the petcock should have nothing connected to it. The vacuum line goes to the one on the rear.

(:-})

JakeT 01-26-2013 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by cybercarl (Post 348353)
I will take a wild guess! What's the odds on this being PLVIR Vacuum connected wrong and the noise is the exhaust popping and banging more.

Check the petcock. the nipple on the bottom of the petcock should have nothing connected to it. The vacuum line goes to the one on the rear.

(:-})

He said after storage in ran rough. If the issue happened after he removed the carb it would sound like plvir. But as long as he didn't remove the tank prior to storage the problem I would think would be else where.

teh1034 01-27-2013 09:37 AM

I managed to not place my vacuum line on the wrong fitting. It's not PLVIR. My carbs are properly seated, header, etc is all good as far as I can tell. When I first began riding the bike after storage(before I cleaned the carbs) it would idle fine, but when riding at about 2.5k rpm it would get very sluggish and then suddenly get done sort of surge of power at about 4k. A friend diagnosed it as dirty carbs so I cleaned them. They were fairly dirty, but after reassembly the bike now has a new issue. When I describe it as louder, that may not be totally accurate. The noise is rougher.

The air filter is a little dirty, but not too bad. I will check the plugs to see if they have become fouled, but I'm out if ideas after that.

8541Hawk 01-27-2013 09:44 AM

did you completely disassemble the carbs while cleaning them?

Sounds like a pilot jet issue, so either they are still clogged or you missed some stuff while cleaning.

teh1034 01-27-2013 10:26 AM

Yes, I completely disassembled the carbs. The jets are not clogged and are very clean. I suppose I will have to disassemble and blow everything out again just to ensure that I didn't somehow miss anything.