SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   VTR engine noise (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/vtr-engine-noise-9441/)

Ausie996 08-30-2006 03:39 AM

VTR engine noise

Hi Guys
Once again hope this works <crosses fingers> ok my VTR is 1999 model with 36,000 k's on the clock. When I bought it, it had what i thought was cam chain noise.( noise in the rear cylinder ,top end) On dropping it off to mech and having it thou looked over he said all cam chains, cams,valve train and settings were excellent, timing was correct,comp test was within 2 pounds of each cyl etc etc etc. he had no idea were the noise was coming from and said just ride it, it wont be anything serious.
After reading lots of posts, could it be the rear CCT on its way out?? the noise is there on start up and gets louder as the engine warms, is louder on throttle back ( engine braking) and less under acceleration.
Front pot is quiet as a mouse?? sumone suggested piston slap?? does this not DE crease with engine heat??
Any idea's of what to do about this plz contact me
many thanks Ausie 996
(my first VTR also)

omniouslink 09-02-2006 08:46 PM

I had a rebel 450 that had piston slap

It seemed to get louder the warmer it got. Dont know if that helps you much. good luck.

Hawkrider 09-02-2006 10:17 PM

Yes, I highly suggest you replace with OEM or APE manual CCT if they are available to you. The noise WILL get louder as the bike gets warmer.

roisman 11-13-2006 05:27 PM

Hi! my bike has noise too, I'm not sure if its the cct or the valve clearances need shimming, it is almost unheard when the engine is cold but get more audible when engine has been run a few miles. Can anyone describe how a failing cct sounds like and how loud it can get? Thanks guys!!

iscoot 11-14-2006 10:48 AM

maybe

some odd sound coming thru the PAIR valve or reed valves. ????

Nighthawk 12-12-2007 01:50 AM

Im just clocking up 39000km (sorry don't know how many miles that is) and have a (knocking) noise and only at low rev below say 3000-2500 rpm and slowish speed and usually only in engine breaking but some times when taking off when warm... I do usually only hear it when the engine is warmed up. This is over and above the normal honda cam chain noise, but I can hear it when actually cruising along normally. Would this be the same noise as above... I'm not sure what I am hearing...

Had a service at 36 000km and all was looking good according to the machenic. I have a 2002 Firestorm and not sure if what I am hearing is the CCT (heck not even sure what is DOH :shock: )

hyperlite 12-13-2007 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by roisman (Post 96980)
Hi! my bike has noise too, I'm not sure if its the cct or the valve clearances need shimming, it is almost unheard when the engine is cold but get more audible when engine has been run a few miles. Can anyone describe how a failing cct sounds like and how loud it can get? Thanks guys!!

It sounds like a bag with nuts in it :eek:

Change the oil to semisynthetic or mineral oil like Bel Ray MC14

DrPepper 12-13-2007 09:43 AM

sounds like CCT engine braking slacks the chain causing a noise

996_Superhawk 09-03-2015 04:55 PM

HI my names Jon. I have am 02 996. Had the valves shimmer in June. Now I hear the same clicking when releasing the the throttle. The sounds is intermittent, but definitely the same as earlier this year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thedeatons 09-03-2015 06:34 PM

Suggestion: start a new thread :)

You could perhaps reference this thread in your own new thread, but try not to use an old post to get help with a new problem.

James

Wolverine 09-03-2015 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 996_Superhawk (Post 390112)
HI my names Jon. I have am 02 996. Had the valves shimmer in June. Now I hear the same clicking when releasing the the throttle. The sounds is intermittent, but definitely the same as earlier this year. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

STOP running the engine. Are you aware of the issues with the CCT's on the VTR? This issue could potentially grenade the motor. Please search around the forum for CCT.

James, It's kinda funny reading the oldies.

Change the oil to semisynthetic or mineral oil like Bel Ray MC14
Really??

bird-rider 09-04-2015 01:00 AM

We had the same thing with our pals vtr after replacing cct the noise disappeared and the motor now purrs like a kitten.

Jack Flash 09-06-2015 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by thedeatons (Post 390122)
Suggestion: start a new thread :)

James

I don't agree. This is what makes searching on forums a nightmare. Too many versions of the same problem, which brings people to begin a useless thread because they can't find what they are looking for. And the vicious circle has begun.