SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   VTR died on ride (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/vtr-died-ride-30722/)

Jeffrey 07-07-2013 03:35 AM

VTR died on ride

Was 15 minutes into a ride yesterday morning and has a sudden loss of power, Might be running on one cylinder but not rough only going around 60mph at the time.

Pulled over and it kind of started but wouldn't rev etc.. Eventually wouldn't even fire. Did check one carb for fuel in bowl, and front plug had no spark. Ended having to getting it towed home.

Got it home no spark on either cylinder. Both Carbs have fuel in the bowls just opened the drain a little. also smells of fuel fumes while cranking. so assuming fuel is ok.

Checking the spark this morning I got a diode and capacitor to check peak voltages properly.

So far I have checked these ECU connections 03 model has HISS

Kickstand/clutch wires ok.
Crankshaft Pulse is peaking out at 2.3v
throttle position sensor resistance is within specs
Temp sensor resistance is within specs
Neutral switch wire works
HISS light still works per usual

Checked Converter Unit connections
There is nothing in the manual about what type of signal the Converter unit gets
From GND it's only 0.2v peak on both
From +12v it's -11.8v peak on both (so pulled to GND to ignite)
Is this normal?
Output of CDI is like only 2v peak.

Coils seem ok and have a 0.5ohm resistance, I couldn't measure the HV side resistance, but I tried my car and couldn't measure it either.

I have checked the Ground and +12v wires on the ECU & CDI units and they are less than 0.2ohms to the battery terminals.

What are the chances that the problem is the Converter unit here?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Wicky 07-07-2013 04:29 AM

http://f.cl.ly/items/0R2w0m1c3r0l1W0...-R-R-small.jpg

SPRHK 07-07-2013 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 358465)
Was 15 minutes into a ride yesterday morning and has a sudden loss of power, Might be running on one cylinder but not rough only going around 60mph at the time.

Pulled over and it kind of started but wouldn't rev etc.. Eventually wouldn't even fire. Did check one carb for fuel in bowl, and front plug had no spark. Ended having to getting it towed home.

Got it home no spark on either cylinder. Both Carbs have fuel in the bowls just opened the drain a little. also smells of fuel fumes while cranking. so assuming fuel is ok.

Checking the spark this morning I got a diode and capacitor to check peak voltages properly.

So far I have checked these ECU connections 03 model has HISS

Kickstand/clutch wires ok.
Crankshaft Pulse is peaking out at 2.3v
throttle position sensor resistance is within specs
Temp sensor resistance is within specs
Neutral switch wire works
HISS light still works per usual

Checked Converter Unit connections
There is nothing in the manual about what type of signal the Converter unit gets
From GND it's only 0.2v peak on both
From +12v it's -11.8v peak on both (so pulled to GND to ignite)
Is this normal?
Output of CDI is like only 2v peak.

Coils seem ok and have a 0.5ohm resistance, I couldn't measure the HV side resistance, but I tried my car and couldn't measure it either.

I have checked the Ground and +12v wires on the ECU & CDI units and they are less than 0.2ohms to the battery terminals.

What are the chances that the problem is the Converter unit here?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

It is most likely your converter unit.

JPP 07-07-2013 09:47 AM

"SH1T" That says it all. You can't make this sh1t up.

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 358466)

Jeffrey 07-07-2013 03:30 PM

Let me check the converter unit part number maybe it also has "SH1T" on it

nnjhawk02 07-08-2013 10:38 AM

Mine went awhile back

One thing that I did notice.

With key on (meaning ready to fire) listen for a humming or clicking sound from the Converter Unit

If it makes a sound its toast - good luck

Jeffrey 07-09-2013 04:28 AM

No there is no noise from the converter unit.

But I bought a whole ecu/key locks etc.. including the converter box. It was on ebay.

I used that whole set initially and the plugs had spark. then checked the signal from the ICM->CDI and it's the same as mine so just used the converter box (cdi) and still have spark yeah!

and of course it started so very happy.

SPRHK 07-09-2013 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffrey (Post 358576)
No there is no noise from the converter unit.

But I bought a whole ecu/key locks etc.. including the converter box. It was on ebay.

I used that whole set initially and the plugs had spark. then checked the signal from the ICM->CDI and it's the same as mine so just used the converter box (cdi) and still have spark yeah!

and of course it started so very happy.

NICE!