SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Utah Riders/Mechanics and CCT problems (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/utah-riders-mechanics-cct-problems-29522/)

Metal Head 12-02-2012 03:37 PM

Utah Riders/Mechanics and CCT problems

Hows it goin guys?

I'm new here and I just bought my '01 hawk back in October with 12,000 miles on it. I started hearing a ticking about a week ago and after searching the forum I played it off to be an exhaust leak but sadly last night I believe I experienced the dreaded CCT failure. My engine did not blow up because I believe I caught it just in time but she wont start anymore. I don't think there is any head damage so I wont have to replace the whole thing just the ccts.

I live in downtown Salt lake and what I'm wondering is if any of my fellow hawkers around the area know any mechanics that are experienced in the superhawk and are relatively cheap or if any of you would mind helping me do it myself as I dont believe I have the expertise to venture it on my own even with the manual. Obviously I'm willing to pay for any time.

The rest of this is just a bit about me and my new hawk. Fell free to read if interested.

When I bought my hawk she had been sitting outdoors for years and needed tons of work. So after about a month in the shop she has a brand new seat, brakes, oil, filters, tires, stator, pegs, handle grips, clutch and break levers, a custom paint job and of course some multi-color remote controlled underglow lights. Needless to say and as well as all of you know I have enjoyed the holy crap out of it! I am 19 years old and I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 11 and street bikes for the last 2 years. I am a full time college student and a single father of a 2 and a half year old girl (which is why I'm hoping to get this done for as cheap as possible)

If any of you out there can help me out let me know!

oahu hawk 12-02-2012 07:21 PM

For some reason I'm thinking I've seen a similar story on another forum...the underglow lights are ringing a bell...

Metal Head 12-02-2012 08:17 PM

Well I can tell you I haven't posted anywhere else and I put the underglow on myself so someone else might have had similar problems, also known as everyone who owns a superhawk has had cct problems.

oahu hawk 12-02-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Metal Head (Post 345651)
Well I can tell you I haven't posted anywhere else and I put the underglow on myself so someone else might have had similar problems, also known as everyone who owns a superhawk has had cct problems.

Well, I'm an old guy and at times my memory is spotty soooo...

herbvtr1000f 12-02-2012 09:53 PM

Welcome to the forum. I live in orem and i coukd say bring ut down to monarch honda in orem and ask for lg or magoo to work on your bike. Dont ket anyone else touch it. Dont talk to the manager because she will work you over.

slo1 12-03-2012 03:39 AM

Newgate in Ogden, Kelly is the best Honda wrench in Utah, imho.

thegreep 12-03-2012 07:00 AM

I would recommend putting on manual CCT adjusters. I put them on mine when it was new, and I'm about 25000 miles with no problems. I just have to adjust them every year or two. This is something you can do yourself, so just the cost of the adjusters.

8541Hawk 12-03-2012 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Head (Post 345651)
also known as everyone who owns a superhawk has had cct problems.

I have never had a CCT issue..... ;)

Metal Head 12-04-2012 05:36 PM

Any of you fellas know how much it might run me? Rough estimate maybe?

7moore7 12-05-2012 08:07 AM

The cost really depends on what damage has happened. You say none, how do you know the CCT's went out? Did it make a lot of noise?

How exactly was it not starting? Is it just dead? If the CCT's are broken, don't try to start it as this will cause damage. But you would hear the damage being made... it would have a metal crunching sound. Was it making that sound before?

I'm not fully convinced it's the CCT's - the symptoms don't really line up but I may be missing something. I would expect a shop to quote 2 hours... if you find a shop, make sure to print the instructions in the knowledge base out and bring it. There are a couple of steps that are different from the I4 bikes that they are probably used to. So with $110 in parts, and $160 in labor, you're looking at around $270 for the process, give or take. Or you could tackle it in a day following the instructions. Should take about 4 hours for the first time, but always seems to take longer so I'd give yourself 8.

Metal Head 12-13-2012 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=7moore7;345751]
I'm not fully convinced it's the CCT's - the symptoms don't really line up

I took your advice and tried starting it again today, turns out I ran the battery dead trying to start it the night that it broke down.

She will run just fine with the choke on but even fully warmed up she still dies and also any rpms past 2500 it makes a terrible knocking noise. I recorded it to see if any of you might be able to identify what it might be.

E.Marquez 12-14-2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Metal Head (Post 346167)
I took your advice and tried starting it again today, turns out I ran the battery dead trying to start it the night that it broke down.

She will run just fine with the choke on but even fully warmed up she still dies and also any rpms past 2500 it makes a terrible knocking noise. I recorded it to see if any of you might be able to identify what it might be.

Superhawk Engine Problems - YouTube

STOP... Do not run that motor again till the issue is fixed..

That sounds allot like piston hitting valves, or at least cam chain slapping hard.

Oh and next time someone suggest running a motor that sounds like that.. Take a moment, pull out the repair receipt from having this bike fixed,.., stare at it a few minutes to remind your self why it is a bad idea.