SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Typical n00b question (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/typical-n00b-question-30862/)

FTL900 07-30-2013 10:17 PM

Typical n00b question

OK, I searched. Really I did. Here's the deal. My SH is a work in progress- it needs CCT and R/R and other stuff before I'll ride it. It also needs new sprockets and chain. I have them already, they came with the bike, new in package. The chain is a one-piece unit, with no master link.

So I'm looking at the bike and wondering how much stuff has to be unbolted to get this chain loop installed. One minute, it looks simple, and then I start noticing other things that are in the way.

What's the deal here??

TIA :thumbsup:

CruxGNZ 07-30-2013 10:39 PM

If it really has no master link, then if memory serves correct, there is just three things in the way. The plastic chain guard, the left rearset, and the gear cover.

sailorjerry 07-31-2013 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 359940)
If it really has no master link, then if memory serves correct, there is just three things in the way. The plastic chain guard, the left rearset, and the gear cover.

Oh yeah, and the swing arm. the chain goes around the left singarm mount and with out the chain being split there is no way to get it into place aside from removing the swinger.

7moore7 07-31-2013 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by sailorjerry (Post 359947)
Oh yeah, and the swing arm. the chain goes around the left singarm mount and with out the chain being split there is no way to get it into place aside from removing the swinger.

The chain can go around a stock swingarm without taking it off. You don't even have to take the wheel off (although you will anyway if you're putting on new sprockets).

Like crux said. Sprocket cover leave the clutch slave cylinder bolted into this. Don't remove it. Then chain guard. You don't even have to remove the whole rearset either, just the shifter arm and lower bolt on it. Weird that you have a chain shipped already in a loop, but good luck!

sailorjerry 07-31-2013 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 359948)
The chain can go around a stock swingarm without taking it off. You don't even have to take the wheel off (although you will anyway if you're putting on new sprockets).

Like crux said. Sprocket cover leave the clutch slave cylinder bolted into this. Don't remove it. Then chain guard. You don't even have to remove the whole rearset either, just the shifter arm and lower bolt on it. Weird that you have a chain shipped already in a loop, but good luck!

I am just going to stop talking today, apparently I'm just all around wrong right now.. but i guess if you run the chain down the swinger you wouldnt have to. good to know. ;)

7moore7 07-31-2013 07:23 AM

Hahaha, you're on a roll, though! Maybe the European model is different ;)

sailorjerry 07-31-2013 07:31 AM

Hey, at least I was right on the diagram and how mine is wired just not like the rest of the US bikes. Haha.

7moore7 07-31-2013 07:36 AM

Yeah, I can definitely see why one would be so adamant if they had TWO manuals that showed it that way... fated doomed you from the start.

jerryh 07-31-2013 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by sailorjerry (Post 359950)
I am just going to stop talking today, apparently I'm just all around wrong rights now.. but i guess if you run the chain down the swinger you wouldnt have to. good to know. ;)

He will need to remove three wires not two to install the chain ;)

E.Marquez 07-31-2013 03:22 PM

I normally don't answer question not asked.,, and many above did a good job of answering his specific question BUT..

To the OP.. unless you just have an overwhelming desire to remove the swing arm and associated items to install a endless link chain..
Perhaps instead purchase rivet style masterlink and rivet tool..both can be had for under $40, and then you'll have a nice new tool to add to your collection.

VTR1000F 07-31-2013 04:19 PM

I don't know what you guys are talking about. According to my manual, you have to remove both swing arms?!?

cybercarl 07-31-2013 04:20 PM

Hahaha, you're on a roll, though! Maybe the European model is different
LOL

No the Swingarm can remain in place, it's the gear selector rod and the rearset hex bolt and spacer that gets in the way :D

(:-})

sailorjerry 07-31-2013 04:45 PM

Haha, yeah I've been having brain farts lately.

And on this I was pretty sure I had looked at it and didn't think it would come off with out taking the swinger loose but I guess it could have. Not like I was going to reuse the chain anyways so I didn't care the least bit to have to cut it.

FTL900 07-31-2013 05:10 PM

BOTH swingarms??? That is not acceptable.
:fight:

1998 Superhawk for sale. 3rd or 4th owner, no upgrades other than aftermarket mufflers.

Will consider adopting out to a "forever" home, has special needs.
Hawk is paraplegic, wings are clipped and it is unable to move on its own power.