SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Two small issues. Clutch maybe and R&R??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/two-small-issues-clutch-maybe-r-r-28281/)

eersfanpilot 05-14-2012 07:58 PM

Two small issues. Clutch maybe and R&R???

Ok.

Issue One: From a dead stop at a light in 1st gear and going into 2nd, or until a higher speed is achieved (maybe 20-30mph), I get a sound that is hard to describe. Usually it is very noticeable before the bike is all the way warm and before the clutch is all the way out moving from a dead stop. I would not call it a tick, or knock, but sounds more like a slap/clack?? :confused: Like I said, hard to describe. Once warm, (above 150 or 160) it seems to go away. I am thinking maybe clutch related but wanted to get opinions. Other than that, after doing the manual CCT's, baffles, TPS, and carb sync, she is purrrrrrring like a kitten!

Issue Two: Any time the bike happens to stall out, or take a few cranks to start early in the morning it blanks out the Trip and Clock on the digital gauge. I had an R&R on my previous SH go out but it just died and left me stranded. Is this R&R related, or battery?

8541Hawk 05-14-2012 08:07 PM

The first issue sounds more like a CCT adjustment. Did it start after you installed the manual tensioners? Because it sounds like they are loose until the bike warms up.... which is kind of how they are supposed to be or maybe a touch to loose.

The second issue sounds like the battery is low. Have you checked the voltage? Also you might want to check (and clean) all the grounds.

But if the battery is low, well then yes the R\R might be on its way out....

eersfanpilot 05-14-2012 09:04 PM

Edit: It has made the noise I am talking about since before the manual swap.

I adjusted the front CCT just this weekend because I thought it was sounding like it was too loose. I was getting a bit of a ticking on acceleration. Now it only makes the noise between 1st and 2nd and only at the middle to end of letting the clutch out. It does not make any sounds in any other gear, including neutral. Since the most recent adjustment it seems to be running better than ever once fully warm.

The battery sounds about right for the second issue. It has been getting progressively harder to start.

GTS 05-15-2012 01:47 AM

How high do you rev the engine while you're letting the clutch out?

CrankenFine 05-15-2012 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by eersfanpilot (Post 332417)
Ok.

Issue One: From a dead stop at a light in 1st gear and going into 2nd, or until a higher speed is achieved (maybe 20-30mph), I get a sound that is hard to describe. Usually it is very noticeable before the bike is all the way warm and before the clutch is all the way out moving from a dead stop. I would not call it a tick, or knock, but sounds more like a slap/clack?? :confused: Like I said, hard to describe. Once warm, (above 150 or 160) it seems to go away.

I notice a similar noise on mine when cold, pretty much when letting out the clutch in first from a dead stop. I presumed it's my fault for not being smoother on the let-out & rev-management. But in my case, I think it's new since I adjusted MCCTs recently. It goes away once fully warm though so I am basically just monitoring the noise for now.

eersfanpilot 05-15-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by GTS (Post 332429)

Off the top of my head I am not sure. I do not gun it from a stop and I do not ride the clutch. I am a pretty relaxed rider and just try to leave smooth without riding the clutch.

GTS 05-15-2012 10:27 AM

I know mine, an the one I had several years ago, would feel grabby and chattery if you rev it to much when letting the clutch out like if you are trying to start off real fast, like a race start or something, and rev it higher than normal. Not sure if that's what you're running into or not.

eersfanpilot 05-17-2012 04:13 PM

Ok. So I made sure and looking at my tach when I was leaving a stop today. From stopped to first I am not going above 2k. Normally I have it out by the time I get to 2k. The noise is coming between 1200 (where my idle is) and 2k when cold. I can feel it also in my clutch lever.

Originally Posted by GTS (Post 332429)

RWhisen 05-17-2012 06:01 PM

Sounds like the CCT is not adjusted correctly since the sound goes away when warm.

eersfanpilot 05-17-2012 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by RWhisen (Post 332757)
Sounds like the CCT is not adjusted correctly since the sound goes away when warm.

You and Hawk are both saying the same thing. I will give the front another small turn and tighten it up a bit more tomorrow and see what happens.

Maybe I will tighten them both down a snug more and see? The ones from superdutyd come set up to be safety wired. Once i get them set and if this noise goes away I will do that as well.

8541Hawk 05-17-2012 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by eersfanpilot (Post 332745)
Ok. So I made sure and looking at my tach when I was leaving a stop today. From stopped to first I am not going above 2k. Normally I have it out by the time I get to 2k. The noise is coming between 1200 (where my idle is) and 2k when cold. I can feel it also in my clutch lever.

Have you had the slave cylinder off lately or ever?

I have seen the push rod get bent from improper installation. I don't know if it would cause the noise you are talking about but as you can feel it in the clutch lever I don't think it's the CCT and you did say it was doing it before you installed them.

So it is something clutch related but thet are pretty tough on these bikes.

Also what kind of oil are you running, this bike is a little picky on what you run in it.

eersfanpilot 05-17-2012 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 332765)
Have you had the slave cylinder off lately or ever?

I have seen the push rod get bent from improper installation. I don't know if it would cause the noise you are talking about but as you can feel it in the clutch lever I don't think it's the CCT and you did say it was doing it before you installed them.

So it is something clutch related but thet are pretty tough on these bikes.

Also what kind of oil are you running, this bike is a little picky on what you run in it.

To be honest, shamefully, I have not changed the oil since I bought the bike from the previous owner. It has been on my to-do list but keeps getting over looked. I have never had the slave cylinder off. Is there a write up for inspecting? What are you oil recommendations?

RWhisen 05-18-2012 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by eersfanpilot (Post 332771)
.......What are you oil recommendations?

This could be part 2 of the trifecta!

I didn't know you had never changed your oil..........

8541Hawk 05-18-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by eersfanpilot (Post 332771)
To be honest, shamefully, I have not changed the oil since I bought the bike from the previous owner. It has been on my to-do list but keeps getting over looked. I have never had the slave cylinder off. Is there a write up for inspecting? What are you oil recommendations?

Well that is a really loaded question....lol

If you are asking what oil I use, well it's the Mobil 1 motorcycle 10-40 because my bike shifts better with it than the others I have tried. You can also use stuff like Rottela or some of the Mobil 1 that you can get at places like Wal-Mart.

In your case, as you have questions about the clutch and all that, if it were me, I would just get some Honda GN4 and a new filter (once again many options here and before you ask I use the purolator 14610 on mine) but here is the thread with the filter cross reference https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...erencing-7884/

eersfanpilot 05-18-2012 04:37 PM

Thanks. I adjusted the CCT's today and they ended up being too tight. I adjusted them again and they are fine now. The sound is still there and was there even when they were too tight.

I re-shimmed the Carb like we discussed through PM and that seems to have gone well. I will give it a few days to figure out if it took care of the backfire on decel any more than it was already. I have the PAR blocked off and the carbs sync'ed, 2 shims in the back and 1 in the front. It pulls a lot harder now it seems, could just be me with wishful imagination??

I have to go to recurrent training for my plane back in ATL for a week so I will start to tackle the oils and such once I get a chance whenever I am back home. Thanks for all the help guys!

8541Hawk 05-18-2012 04:49 PM

Sounds like you are getting the carbs closer and by what you told me in the PM you were still lean, so upping the rear needle did give the bike more fuel, therefor you have more power..... it's not just you

Now you also see why I say to go one shim higher on the rear needle than the front.... it really works and the tip is actually straight from HRC ;)

8541Hawk 05-18-2012 04:50 PM

Also don't worry about pulling the slave cylinder until after you do the oil change. I have a feeling that just changing the oil will "fix" most, if not all, the issues with the noises you are hearing ;)

eersfanpilot 05-18-2012 06:26 PM

Thanks Mike. It's all the info you guys provide that makes this site so great!