SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Turn Signal woes...Right side won't blink (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/turn-signal-woes-right-side-wont-blink-30330/)

98VTRrider 05-06-2013 10:42 AM

Turn Signal woes...Right side won't blink

I just finished rebuilding a salvage title bike I got, and now I'm trying to get things all finished for my police inspection.

Last week I had everything working fine, both sides would blink as they should...

Then I made some brackets to hold the front signals(one piece upper fairing I didn't want to cut).

Now I'm having problems, the left side blinks ok, but the right side when I push the turn control right, the front right signal(which stays lit when not using blinker function) goes out, but neither front or rear lights blink.

I've swapped turn signal relays and that didn't help.

I've checked all the bulbs, they are all good, the right wattage.

I brought another light up and hooked it to the right front wires, still no blinking.

I really don't want to pull the fairing off again but I guess I'll have to to check all the plugs under/behind the gauge cluster...

I've done most test with the motor running for full voltage, but today I put a 2amp charger on to test without the motor running...Left blink works ok...no right blink.

Any other ideas of things I should check or look at?

7moore7 05-06-2013 10:52 AM

There are three wires to the signals. A green one (ground) and a solid color and striped color. I believe it is your striped color (slight possibility that it is the solid) that is not making a connection somewhere. Trace the wire and figure out where.

98VTRrider 05-06-2013 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 354384)
There are three wires to the signals. A green one (ground) and a solid color and striped color. I believe it is your striped color (slight possibility that it is the solid) that is not making a connection somewhere. Trace the wire and figure out where.

Yea that's what it needs.. Drives me nuts when it was working at one point, then I put the fairing on and it stops working...something must have been pulled on too hard or something like that when I was rerouting the wires.

98VTRrider 05-09-2013 10:52 AM

More confusion today...I pulled the fairing off..All the wires were good looking into the main harness.

The only thing I did was open the fuse box, and swap the 10amp turn signal fuse with another 10A from the odometer.

I turned the key on, and the right side started blinking, I must have left the switch set to "right turn".

Now, If I switch to the left, the left side starts blinking, but when I then switch to the right, the front light goes out, then about 5-10 seconds later the right side starts to blink, some times it will blink/flash 3-4 times REALLY FAST, then slow down to a normal blink speed.

Seems kinda intermittent too... sometimes it will do the fast flash thing at first, some times it just takes a few extra seconds to start blinking.

Is there anything else I can change or check that might make a difference to the speed it takes to start blinking? Do I just have a slight resistance build up at the several connections for the signals? An old turn signal relay wearing out?(I have two that produce the same results)