SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   trail Tech vapor install (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/trail-tech-vapor-install-26457/)

RumbleBee 08-25-2011 10:18 AM

trail Tech vapor install

ok, I’m working on installing a trail tech vapor on my 99vtr1000. Everything is working great except the darn tach sensor. The issue is that i have the vapor set 0.5 for the PPR...it’s the only way to get it to the read the rpm close to right. it’s still jumps around but it’s frustrating me. I tried changing the setting to 1 on the ppr and it will read nothing. I'm also not sure if this bike changes ppr values at a different rpm level. Mind you this is my first bike so i am unfamiliar with this.

Can anyone provide insight or help me out on this?

geekonamotorcycle 08-25-2011 01:17 PM

I am going to be getting one of these soon and would love to know what your install process was. did you get any pictures or video? did you remove your gauges and mount it? did you keep your gauges(this is what I want to do)?

TTHelper 08-26-2011 10:57 AM

Tach install help

How do you have the tach sensor lead installed and grounded? Are you using the tach sensor wire with the built in resistor?

slabm7 08-26-2011 07:48 PM

I have one of these on my XR650R and I would like a bit more info as well, the pre 01 guages suck. How hard was it to install? Any pics of it mounted? Any more info you could give us would be great, Thanks.

K30 08-26-2011 08:19 PM

If you're using the stock tach lead, I'd say try and pull the signal directly off a coil. On my XR400R that is what I did and it works great. It was pretty simple to install, the thermocouple was the PITA.

nothing 08-30-2011 05:16 AM

I tapped right off of the wire going to one of the coils and put a 600k ohm resistor in series between the coil and vapor. works good

COLE 03-20-2012 06:58 AM

trail tech doesn't offer one specifically for hawk so which one are yall using? does it matter? I bout to order one for my hawk.

Carolinaboy 03-28-2012 09:41 AM

I would also like to know which vapor you guys are using.

kai ju 03-28-2012 11:58 AM

I've had one on my XR650R for about 3 or 4 years now.
I wrapped the Tach sensor lead around the plug wire and have never had a problem. Did about 7 or so windings.
Don't use the trigger wire, it's really happy with the plug wire.
If you slip heat shrink tubing over the wire it makes for a very clean installation.

new2thehawk 04-01-2012 06:38 PM

I am building a streetfighter and want to use the vapor stealth. Did you get the problem solved? What were your settings for speed?

To cool that you guys are trying this, I have cluncky 98 gauges... Just swapped out a beat 98 motor for a sweet low milage 2002 and making risers now for mx bars. Going to mount vapor to them and get rid of huge subframe.

COLE 06-05-2012 07:51 PM

I bought the trail tech vapor. I d sure like to see pic of how you mounted speedometer to caliper and rotor, not really liking how mine's looking...