SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Top end removal - drain oil? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/top-end-removal-drain-oil-14934/)

chickenstrip 05-26-2008 11:43 PM

Top end removal - drain oil?

I know I look like a slacker asking this :(, but do you need to drain the oil when removing the top end. I've got some fixin' to do and I want to minimize as much as I can. (I know I've gotta drain the coolant, by the way.)

Thanks

Hammer7205 05-27-2008 04:04 AM

I kind of think that is a no brainer myself. Drop the oil, and put fresh in when you're done. But that's the way I'd do it.....

killer5280 05-27-2008 07:44 AM

Unless you're just removing the cam covers, drain the oil.

chickenstrip 05-28-2008 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer7205 (Post 166319)
I kind of think that is a no brainer myself. Drop the oil, and put fresh in when you're done. But that's the way I'd do it.....

Yeah, I think my brain can handle it too, but my living situation isn't conducive to having moto parts and liquids sitting around so I'm trying to minimize it, if it's okay with you.

Hammer7205 05-28-2008 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by chickenstrip (Post 166515)
Yeah, I think my brain can handle it too, but my living situation isn't conducive to having moto parts and liquids sitting around so I'm trying to minimize it, if it's okay with you.

Don't get offended man, and it's quite allright w/ and I really don't give a f__k about what you do. You asked the question, and I gave my advice. Where I come from, when you do engine work, you drop the oil and put new oil in. Here's another no brainer for you, if you're environment doesn't permit leaving oil laying around, get rid of it!!!

inderocker 05-29-2008 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer7205 (Post 166517)
Don't get offended man, and it's quite allright w/ and I really don't give a f__k about what you do. You asked the question, and I gave my advice. Where I come from, when you do engine work, you drop the oil and put new oil in. Here's another no brainer for you, if you're environment doesn't permit leaving oil laying around, get rid of it!!!

Wow! Where did that come from??? :confused:

Hammer7205 05-29-2008 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by inderocker (Post 166642)
Wow! Where did that come from??? :confused:

Same place Chickenstrip's snotty little reply came from. I don't know, maybe I read into too much, but reply seemed awfully snotty to me....

j shizzy wizzy 05-31-2008 07:35 AM

ahhhhh......nothing like the lack of tone in forums to throw people off.

j_frank 05-31-2008 07:45 AM

so angry...can't we all just get along...or maybe the two of you could get together and hug it out?!:evillaugh:

VTRsurfer 05-31-2008 10:09 AM

Draining the oil is not required when removing the heads, however it is kind of a no brainer to install fresh oil after doing any engine work.

As for what to do with the old oil, here in California you can go to Kragen Auto Parts where they collect waste oil at no charge. Some cities will also offer free collection to keep it out of the storm drains. I'm sure other states have similar programs. Its part of the Federal Clean Water Act.

BeerHunter 06-01-2008 06:24 AM

I'm a no-brain kind of guy....absolutely no reservations here about pulling heads off without touching the drain plug.

chickenstrip 06-01-2008 09:10 AM

Good points

Thanks for your thoughts - it totally makes sense to replace the oil after engine work, and I certainly do recycle the old oil, even taking it to Kragens like you mention. I was just thinking that most of the oil is sitting in the sump when the motor is still, and that removing, or not removing, the oil at the time of working on the engine is moot. But maybe there is enough volume that oil is still in the top end.

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 166919)
Draining the oil is not required when removing the heads, however it is kind of a no brainer to install fresh oil after doing any engine work.

As for what to do with the old oil, here in California you can go to Kragen Auto Parts where they collect waste oil at no charge. Some cities will also offer free collection to keep it out of the storm drains. I'm sure other states have similar programs. Its part of the Federal Clean Water Act.