SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   top end (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/top-end-8941/)

bump_evl 06-16-2006 12:52 AM

top end

Any good thought's on getting more top end speed? Mods so far race exhaust headers on back k&n filter and jetted. do drop teeth in rear sprocket or ????

EngineNoO9 06-16-2006 01:02 AM

dropping teeth will make the gears taller and basically slower. you mean going up 2 in the rear? and what do you mean by more top end speed? like higher top speed or better power up top?

-for higher top speed (I think this is foolish since it can top out close to 170 indicated) you'll have to drop a tooth or two int he rear and also do more power mods: je pistons, cams, milled head. not gonna have enough unf to get much fast really though with the added 15 or so hp that the more mods would add. these mods will ad more top end power as well if that's what you're asking about but remove the sprocket change....

Hawkrider 06-16-2006 11:23 AM

The Superhawk will go faster in 5th than 6th with a stock bike. There just isn't enough hp in 6th at that rpm to overcome the wind resistance. This was proven a long time ago before this forum ever existed. Power mods can change this, but they'd have to be extreme. What this tells me is that actually RAISING one or two teeth in the rear will get you more top end speed AND more acceleration....and more fill-ups. Hey, nothing's free! :)

EngineNoO9 06-16-2006 11:24 AM

how much did that affect the speedo? noticed marmalade had 2 up in the rear too

cat0020 06-16-2006 12:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you looking for "top end" performance or "top speed" performance?

If you want "top end" performance, you should switch to a in-line 4 cylinder engine, ones that have rev-limiter set at 12,000+ rpm, get some RAM air intake, open up the muffler and get rid of all the baffle, then you will get more "top end" performance that you want.

If you want to get more "top speed" perfrmance, you might want to start investing in suspension first, because things can change very fast at high speed. To maintain control of the bike you need good suspension at any speed, once you have suspension that's setup for you and your riding style, you would feel more comfortable/secure riding at high speed.

If you are bouncing around due to poor suspension, you don't really get to use the engine's full power potential in the first place, why bother increasing it's performance?

My little 400cc CB-1 has a red line of 13,500 rpm.. screams like a moto GP bike when the baffle is taken out but travels barely over triple digit speed. It's funny when people hear the little bike down the block and think it's some superbike charging around the corner.

Attachment 31824

JamieDaugherty 06-16-2006 06:41 PM

Hawkrider - How can you say that about 5th vs 6th? Mine will hit the limiter in 6th. Stock gearing by the way.

Hawkrider 06-16-2006 07:37 PM

And you have what mods to your bike? You may have the hp to get it there. Where, may I ask, have you reached the limiter in 6th? Downhill with a tailwind?

Randman 06-16-2006 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
how much did that affect the speedo? noticed marmalade had 2 up in the rear too

I went to a 43 , and stock up front, I put the gps on her and at 80 on the speedo, the gps was showing right on 70.1 ....Now I am no mathmatician hell I can't even spell it, but that looks like about 8.75 % er um something like that...I don't know, maybe some math wizard will clue us in....

JesseW. 06-16-2006 09:37 PM

its actually 14.1% error, |true-shown|/true. so |70.1-80|/70.1= .141x 100=14.1%

mine won't hit the limiter in 6th and runs the exact top speed in 5th as it does in 6th, about 153 indicated (i don't know if mine has been corrected or not) i also think a bigger rear sprocket might help it overcome the wall it runs into at around 8900 in 6th as hawkrider said a couple of posts up.

Randman 06-16-2006 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by JesseW.
its actually 14.1% error, |true-shown|/true. so |70.1-80|/70.1= .141x 100=14.1%

mine won't hit the limiter in 6th and runs the exact top speed in 5th as it does in 6th, about 153 indicated (i don't know if mine has been corrected or not) i also think a bigger rear sprocket might help it overcome the wall it runs into at around 8900 in 6th as hawkrider said a couple of posts up.

Well there you have it,....like I said I am mathmatically challenged, etc....etc.... lol..

Thanks for the calculation Jesse.....

This weekend I will get it on a straight where I can take her up to 100 sustained and I will check it again...then it will be an easy math problem....lol

Hawkrider 06-17-2006 08:56 AM

Thanks for the backup Jesse.

swordfish 06-18-2006 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx
Well there you have it,....like I said I am mathmatically challenged, etc....etc.... lol..

Thanks for the calculation Jesse.....

This weekend I will get it on a straight where I can take her up to 100 sustained and I will check it again...then it will be an easy math problem....lol

previously, I had had decided against adding teeth to the rear since I wasn't depserate for a wheelie monster, and the speedo is off enough as it is, but if it can't be maxxed out with stock gearing, then something has got to change. before I start this project, is it the consensus here that this is true? I have a jet kit and hindle pipes.