SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Tires (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/tires-10107/)

Dave Wicks 12-11-2006 12:36 PM

Tires

Tire Questions

I'm looking at doing some sport-touring on the VTR this summer. In the season we have here I usually ride about 16,000 miles per summer. I would like to have a good handling tire that can get can get some mileage. So.. I'm not going to put on sport tires. Thinking of Bridgestone B 20's or Metzler Z6 or Avon 45-46's or Pilot Roads...Any sport touring tires you like or don't like??
mileage..rain grip...handling..issues that matter for me..

Take Care
Dave

marmaladedad 12-11-2006 12:39 PM

Mileage
Rain Grip
Handling

Pick two of the three. Generally, mileage and handling are inversely proportional.

bkelsey 12-11-2006 01:32 PM

I'm about through my first BT020 on the rear. 5100 miles and it's just about done.

I'll run another one with a BT014 up front next. In order of (my commuting) importance, I like the price, am okay with the mileage, can live with the wet grip, and am used to how they handle.

I've run a set of D220s, but the rear was gone at 4K and the front was cupping pretty good. Other than that, they were great in the rain.

I used Pilot Roads on my VFR and they worked well everywhere, but were pricey.

I'd like to hear some input on the Pirelli Stradas if anyone's tried them.

Dave Wicks 12-11-2006 01:52 PM

Tires

I understand the handling vs. mileage thing. trade-off's.. I live on the plains, lot's of riding on the center of the tire...Looking for something that wears..Great article in the latest Sportsrider magazine...Sport touring tires are not bad compared to more sporting rubber. I'm leaning to Pilot Roads or Avon 45,46's..Anybody have experience with them. I had great luck with Avon Venom R's on cruisers...but... this is a different bike.. Is the combo of Sport front and Sport-touring rear working for anybody else?? I'm seeking knowledge on the touring side...not track days..

Take Care
Dave

Brian A 12-11-2006 02:01 PM

I have used Pilot Roads on my Superhawk and my CBR 1000F.
Very good tires. Good life span and good grip unless used as a true sport tire.
When they break (slip or spin), they BREAK with little warning.
So, for what you describe, I think they'd be a fine choice.

Radiaoktiv 12-11-2006 02:33 PM

i have an Avon on the rear right now

great wear, decent grip, predictable...but i liked my Metzeler better, performance-wise

The Avon just doesnt like to get on that last inch of tire

thehandyman 12-11-2006 04:13 PM

I have one word MAXXIS i switched this summer and WOW about 2k more miles than stock but a helluva lot more grip than stock dont know how they did it. im riding to sturgis this coming summer and i will put a new set on before i go. that should do me for next summer, two sets of stock for 5 months riding sucks.

Kendrick 12-11-2006 04:23 PM

For what it's worth I've got 4k on Conti Sport-Attacks and they look brand new. They're not a true sporting tire, but as a commuter they've served pretty well. They were fairly cheap too, just my 2 cents.

Dave Wicks 12-11-2006 08:25 PM

Tires

Thanks guys
I've read an article on the Maxxis..not sure where..they bought out IRC i understand.. I think they come on the Aprillias..go figure..Article was quite positive...I've used Conti's before..excellent in rain... This is not a Canadian being smart, but we often get more mileage.. First we don't have the same heat...we don't have the high speed interstates.. and much of our asphalt is not as abrasive...Just in case you don't think we ride hard..Where's Miguel from...Anway if you guys like a tire.. and I know you use them hard..I can learn from that...I'm listening.. anymore tire comments.. of the Sport touring class.. which one do you think will last the longest???

Thanks
Dave

slo1 12-12-2006 07:28 AM

+ 1 for Pilot Roads. my fz1 is the "touring" bike, yearly runs to Laguna, Yellowstone, Colorado, etc. Even with the 500 miles at 100mph plus each way in 90+ temps across Nevada to Laguna, they are great. 8k out of a rear, and all the stick you need. Even did a cold rainy April 1st track day on them (needed the heated grips and vest;).

I have a friend, canyonchasers.net, who swears by Conti's. I'll probably try those next.

slo1
in the garage doing mods

altosuperhawk 12-12-2006 07:37 AM

From a longevity standpoint the Avon 45/46 combos have outlasted any of the various Metzler combos (MeZ-2, 4, and 6) I've tried over the years. Got just over 6k on my '98 VTR and went 7100 on my mildly modded '97 Bandit 1200S (cams, full system, stage II jetting). Various Bridgestones (BT 54,s, BT 57's, and BT0 20's) were dead at the 5000 mile mark. Currently running the Pirelli Diablo Stradas on my VTR, Bandit, and FZ-1 but haven't put enough miles to gauge longevity. Michelin Pilot Roads on my '99 ZRX1100 are still good at 5000 miles with maybe another 1000 miles left. From a confidence standpoint the Diablos(not Stradas) transformed my '02 FZ-1 and lasted 4000 miles-not bad for a 'sport' tire. The Avon combo never cupped (unlike the BT0 20 fronts) and didn't flat spot the rear either. But they're very heavy tires compared to most of the competition. The Michelin Pilot Powers on my '06 Speed Triple are another confidence inspiring tire- at the expense of tread life.

AZZKIKER 12-12-2006 07:41 AM

Roadtec Z6 is what you will really like. You will get > 5 k miles out of them and the grip is Great.

Dave Wicks 12-12-2006 07:43 AM

Tires

Really helpful feed-back..thank you.
I think I'm going to try the Avon's 45/46. Had tremendous experience with the Venoms..not cheap up here but sometimes you get what you pay for. I neve get to do track days..The bike and sporttourers will out handle my ability..I'll entertain myself for sure..I see where a guy that does the Iron Butt stuff uses 45/46's...

Thanks again fellas
..these sites are incredibly helpful..
Take Care
Dave:-D

rossi 12-12-2006 11:13 AM

I've just been reading through and i can't beleave the amount of miles you get out of tyres,i am lucky if i get 900 miles out of a rear tyre and 1200 out of a front.
No burn out's or enything like that just fast rideing,i've tryed dunlop,pirelli,bridgestone just cant seem to get good miles out of enything.
It,s been like that on every bike i've had,especialy big twins my mate is the same on his tls if enything tha eats the quiker than the vtr.
See what i get out of the bridgestone 014's!!!!!!!!

Dave Wicks 12-12-2006 11:22 AM

Tires

What???????????????????? 900 miles are you bragging or kidding??

Dave

rossi 12-12-2006 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Wicks (Post 36908)
What???????????????????? 900 miles are you bragging or kidding??

Dave

No joke 745 miles out of the 012 on the rear thats in it at the moment!
And thats about shot.

sprhawk neil 12-12-2006 02:02 PM

16,00 miles a year I'd go through at least 5 rear tires!!! I'm lucky to get 3500 out of a rear but I only put about 3-4 k on per year

SNGPerformance 12-12-2006 02:08 PM

Perrelli Diablo Strada

Dave Wicks 12-12-2006 06:37 PM

Tires

Most of you are using sport rubber I'm sure. I checked the price of a Pilot in my size at the local Yamaha shop...$304.00..now do you see why we need to stretch our tire miles.. Last post said 5 per year..do the math...nope got to get some mileage out of tires.. Don't want to restrict my riding.. I could not afford couple thou a year just on tires...Let's see at 900 miles per tire..about 15 tires..just on the back times $300....$4500...:cry:

Take Care
Dave

Hawkrider 12-12-2006 08:00 PM

Sounds like someone is a good candidate for their own tire changer. Tires online are the cheapest and the changer pays for itself in a season or two.

www.nomartirechanger.com

And yes, it's my brother's company.

nuhawk 12-12-2006 08:50 PM

I run P - D Stradas on my VFR. I am very pleased with the stability of the bike generally and their soundness in the corners is great. I have about 500 miles on them so we'll see about the long haul. On a recent hard run through the hills west of Austin I successfully removed 2/32nds of an inch from my rear tire on the Superhawk in less than 80miles (2 heat cycles). I'm running Dunlop 208's and they give up quick. I just don't feel comfortable pushing it through the corners with tires that are down to below 50% of factory tread. This is where the tire changer or extra wheels comes in handy. I would like a set to use on aggressive rides (probably go with GP or Qualifiers next time) like the one up through the country but let them hang out as a set of "around town" streeters until they die. The ghastly tire mileage is just as believable as the gas mileage on a VTR if you push it. I thought my mileage was bad when I measured my rear tire. Then when the new wheels arrived recently with Dunlops that were advertised as having 800 miles on them I measured them - they had a 32nd less than mine on the bike! I couldn't believe it at first. I think tires in this condition are perfectly safe on the street with 3 or 4/32nds but I sure as hell won't take them down the winding road by the creek.

marmaladedad 12-12-2006 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 36938)
Sounds like someone is a good candidate for their own tire changer. Tires online are the cheapest and the changer pays for itself in a season or two.

www.nomartirechanger.com

SHF-discounts??? :D

Hawkrider 12-12-2006 09:45 PM

I can probably get you a 10% discount or free shipping, but I don't want to commit that. I'll have to check with him to be sure. If you're serious, would you like me to call?

Woohoo, check out my post count!!!!!!!!!

vtrgeoff 12-13-2006 04:33 AM

Hi Dave

You dont say what part of Canada you are from. I live in the Ottawa area and the BEST place to get tires locally is at Moto Internationale in Montreal. Or if mailorder is your thing, from Bourques in Moncton.

For example, last spring I bought a set of Bridgestones from MI (BT014 fr/BT020rr) and paid $280CDN plus tax & install & balance. From Bourques, the price was $305 taxes & shipping in, plus install & balance.

Prices for Avons (AV45/46) and the Bridgestones from Ron Ayers were comparable.

Local dealership prices, and I checked them all, came in between $370 and $450 plus taxes, install & balance.

It pays to shop around.

I have been running Bridgestones on my 'Storm for the last 5 years (BT014 fr/ BT020 rr). I inflate the tires to a little over the manufacturer's recommendation (40psi front/45psi rear) and consistantly get upwards of 15,000km from the rear and 25,000km from the front. Now, I AM Canadian, with some Scottish heritage, so I AM a cheap b@stard. I run the tires right to the wear bars. My riding includes no track days, a daily commute on the slab, weekend backroad scratching and some light touring with little or no two up riding.

Of course, as always, YMMV.

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR

Dave Wicks 12-13-2006 07:24 AM

Tires

Hey Jeff;

I'm from Saskatchewan, the price I posted is from a place I would never buy a tire from, but show's how ugly it can get. I've got a place that can get me fairly cheap prices..mounting but does not have balancer..Saskatoon is the nearest large center, one place there that is reasonable. My last bike before the VTR was a Valkyrie...could get a season plus on a set of Venom R's, about $600 per set balanced myself..I doubt if I'll ride as much on the VTR, hard to say...I average about 23-26,000 k.m.s per summer. Pilots and Avons sound like the most durable with reasonable grip..Perhaps the Conti. Road Attacks...I still have tread on the originals..Dunlop 204's I think..but I want to paint my rim's..so I'll change out rubber first...I'm afraid the shipping would kill my savings..then I have to get them mounted and balanced.. I'm still listening and still learning...

Dave..

rossi 12-13-2006 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 36938)

www.nomartirechanger.com

Funny you should say that,i do change my own tyres at work.
Saves on a few pennys,just as well i work in the tyre trade my mates love it.

Dave Wicks 12-13-2006 12:19 PM

Tires

Hey Rossi

Hmmm tyres.. my mates.. you must be English??? If so what part, been to England many times..some interesting roads..and the M roads if you feel the need for speed...Might be interesting to take on a sideline of selling and mounting "tyres" in my area..I could help support my habit..If you are from England..lot's of wet roads..What tyre do you like in the rain??

Dave

rossi 12-13-2006 01:23 PM

Yep i live in england,down south near cambrige about 60 miles from london.
I like to run on bridgestone's good wet tyres.
The 012's are a good allround tyre.
And yes there are plenty of twisty roads to play on.
It's round abouts that kill my tyres,back it in and sideways comeing out!
My mate run's pirelli diablo corsas on his tl they seem to stick quite well but don't last long, the suzuki seems to push the front.
comeing over to donington park next year to see the gp?
it was good this year but the year before was a wash out i had to ring my pant's out after the ride home from that one.
That tested the tyres out!

Dave Wicks 12-13-2006 01:52 PM

Tires

Are you alright..
I spent most of my time in the Midlands, Manchester, Wolverhampton, Dudley, Burton of Trent..etc.. got to see the National Museum before the fire. You have an incredible mixture of surfaces to ride on..Rome paving stones to greasy asphalt..Had tea with a dispatch rider in London..Now those crazies can ride. I was following somebody once.. As they were giving directions..they said.."go straight across the round about..watch out for the Arties.." I thought..what the?? Go around and out the opposite side and watch out for Articulating Lorries..semi's..I would say the scariest thing for me..is the denisty of population and the volume of traffic in narrow confines. You would go crazy in the mountains out here...I know for a fact your skill level there is very good or your dead...

Ride safe my friend..thanks for the comment on wet tyres..
Dave:-D

rossi 12-13-2006 02:03 PM

You are right there you need to have eyes in the back of your head over here or it's game over.
My uncle was a dispatch rider untill he ended up in a bus shellter in london the fella pulled out on him and off!!!!!
He gave it up after that,lucky he walked away from it.