SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Tire Pressure Michelin Pilot Power (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/tire-pressure-michelin-pilot-power-7916/)

CNI Dawg 01-01-2006 08:44 AM

Tire Pressure Michelin Pilot Power

Hey Guys,
It's getting to be time for a new rear tire.

Was going to get both front & rear tires & say good bye the the stock Dunlop D204.

Was thinking about a Michelin Pilot Powers.

Anybody here ride them?

What air pressures do you run ? (front / rear)
The Honda factory recommendation?

TIA, Bill

jschmidt 01-01-2006 03:49 PM

Michelin only recommends stock pressures which are 36F 42R. Frome there, you are left to experiment.

Galaxieman 01-01-2006 03:53 PM

I've got a set of Powers on mine, and they've been great. The D204s do really really suck. They've done fine at the factory pressures (36/42). I've got about 7k miles on this set, and while the front's got maybe 3-5k left, the rear has maybe 1.5k, so I'm going to end up putting a new set on in the spring. I can't believe the mileage I've gotten as the rear has more life now than my D204 did at 5k, and is stickier cold than the Duncrap was fully warmed up.

Edited because I can't read my damn manual... 36/42 is correct.

marmaladedad 01-01-2006 06:03 PM

I've heard to run them at 38/38 at the track. That sounds absurdly high, but a friend of mine (who runs PPs) says he hasn't experienced any problems.

I have the Pilot Race, and I like 'em at 34/36 for trackduty. But, it depends on your riding style (higher pressures for street should be fine).

CNI Dawg 01-01-2006 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot (Post 14209)
I've heard to run them at 38/38 at the track. That sounds absurdly high, but a friend of mine (who runs PPs) says he hasn't experienced any problems.

I have the Pilot Race, and I like 'em at 34/36 for trackduty. But, it depends on your riding style (higher pressures for street should be fine).

I heard the Pilot Race (medium/soft compound) wear out pretty fast.
What kind of mileage do you get on yours?

It would get kind of expensive to be replacing every 1500-2000 miles !

TIA
Bill

superbling 01-01-2006 08:32 PM

Man, those tires are STILL around? Geez, put anything modern on and you are going to be in heaven. Seriously.

Personally, I'd recommend the cheapest name brand sport or sport-touring you can find. I find the difference to be slighty longer life with ST's but 1-1.5k more is about it for me. The sports will have more stick than you use on the street.

I finally started changing/balancing my own tires a few years ago to stem some of the bleeding.

marmaladedad 01-01-2006 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by CNI Dawg";p=&quot (Post 14212)

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy";p=&quot (Post 14209)

I heard the Pilot Race (medium/soft compound) wear out pretty fast.
What kind of mileage do you get on yours?

It would get kind of expensive to be replacing every 1500-2000 miles !

TIA
Bill

I don't run the Pilot Race on the street (they're on my track bike), so I'm afraid I can't help you with the mileage. So far, they've held up well through three trackdays (I'm an intermediate rider), and look good for (at least) two more. I haven't used tire warmers on mine, but I haven't noticed any cold shear either.