SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Tire mount and Balance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/tire-mount-balance-8832/)

Randman 06-05-2006 11:36 AM

Tire mount and Balance

Ok so do I need to leave the rotors on the front tire for balance, or since there are tow will it even matter... and for the back the rotor and the sprocket, since they are not the same should they stay on? or pull them? I have to leave the tires and wheels with the shop for a day or two so they can fit them in....and I wanted to avoid any accidents like something being dingged, or bent etc...

TIA

kai ju 06-05-2006 11:57 AM

Wheel Balance

Leave the rotors on but let the dealer know your concerns about bent rotors etc. it will put him on alert that you're watching.
Remove the spacers from the front wheel and mark what side they came off of.
Remove the sprocket carrier, cush drive rubbers and spacers from the rear wheel and mark their location. There is one between the wheel and the carrier that quite often gets lost, usually in the trunk of the car used to ferry the wheels to the dealer.
When you get the wheels back verify direction of rotation on the tires and reinstall with the removed spacers in their correct location.
New tires are slippery, I've seen more than one customer wipe out right in front of the shop not heeding that warning.
Kai Ju

Randman 06-05-2006 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by kai ju
Leave the rotors on but let the dealer know your concerns about bent rotors etc. it will put him on alert that you're watching.
Remove the spacers from the front wheel and mark what side they came off of.
Remove the sprocket carrier, cush drive rubbers and spacers from the rear wheel and mark their location. There is one between the wheel and the carrier that quite often gets lost, usually in the trunk of the car used to ferry the wheels to the dealer.
When you get the wheels back verify direction of rotation on the tires and reinstall with the removed spacers in their correct location.
New tires are slippery, I've seen more than one customer wipe out right in front of the shop not heeding that warning.
Kai Ju

cool, thanks for the info...and they are not brand new tires, they have around 400 miles on them already....Never the less I will be careful on them...

marmaladedad 06-05-2006 01:07 PM

I like to leave my spacers that came off each side of the wheel on a paper towel on the ground. Same for the rear wheel. Don't forget to give your axles a little bit of grease to help 'em slide in.

superhawk22 06-05-2006 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
I like to leave my spacers that came off each side of the wheel on a paper towel on the ground. Same for the rear wheel. Don't forget to give your axles a little bit of grease to help 'em slide in.

That's the same thing I do and I leave everything lined up the way it came off so I don't accidently put it in the wrong order. Of course I've done so many tire changes in the last 13 months I think I could probably do it in my sleep....as a matter of fact I think I was sleeping last time. :) Hope you like the tires Cliff, they did good by me, oh and those won't be slippery at all believe me I took good care of that.

Randman 06-05-2006 03:53 PM

I did notice something when I was loading them in the truck, and wiping them down...on the inside lip you can see threads, there are a few bare spots, I have never seen spots like that in that location...is it normal? like maybe when they took the tires of the wheels what ever tool they use cut into it, it doesn't go all the way through, just the surface, and on two spots you can see threads....just want to be sure before I go through the trouble of having them put on....though I have already pulled both wheels, didn't know you have to take the front calipers off first, pain in the ass....

superhawk22 06-05-2006 05:36 PM

Truthfully, it's been a while since I've seen it but it's very possible that it could be from the tire machine. As long as it's not up on the bead it'll be fine but if it makes you feel better post a picture.

99Hawk 06-05-2006 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx
I did notice something when I was loading them in the truck, and wiping them down...on the inside lip you can see threads, there are a few bare spots,

That does NOT sound good. You say these are used tires ... sounds very fishy to me ... any way you could post a photo ?
I wouldn't be mounting tires up with threads exposed....

superhawk22 06-05-2006 05:46 PM

Easy now.... the threads are on the lip of the tire not the outside and will not effect the performance of the tire as long as it's not high on the bead. The only thing that part of the tire does is seal the bead. I'm the one that sold the tires to him and trust me I would NOT sell tires that were dangerous to ANYONE let alone someone I talk to almost daily. I only put about 400-500 miles on those tires and they performed flawlessly and the last thing I would do is sell something that would cause one of us to post an RIP thread.

Randman 06-05-2006 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by superhawk22
Easy now.... the threads are on the lip of the tire not the outside and will not effect the performance of the tire as long as it's not high on the bead. The only thing that part of the tire does is seal the bead. I'm the one that sold the tires to him and trust me I would NOT sell tires that were dangerous to ANYONE let alone someone I talk to almost daily. I only put about 400-500 miles on those tires and they performed flawlessly and the last thing I would do is sell something that would cause one of us to post an RIP thread.

Slow down now....yes they are on the lip, I was not saying that you sold me crappy tires, I wasn't even aware of it myself until I cleaned them up, and loaded them in the truck....while sitting on my tail gate I was very close to them and noticed the threads....I figured out after doing some reading that yes it is the part that seals, and it is the outter part, so there should not be any issues...I hope......At least we will all know who to blame...LOL just kidding....

superhawk22 06-05-2006 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know you weren't, I was talking to 99 and just making it perfectly clear that I would never do anything that would risk a life. I've got some Conti tires in my garage that has what you described so it has happened more than once and I always have my tires done by the same guy so I guess his machine is pinching the bead. As long as it holds air it'll be fine. Does it look like this?

Randman 06-05-2006 06:17 PM

yeah that is pretty much it....pics a little blurry, but it's in the same location....I figured the worst that could happen is it won't hold air...but like I said, it does not go all the way through, so I am sure it will....

look what I started...

OK for the record, I was not accussing 22 of selling me bad rubber, just tryin to figure out what caused the marks,,,,now we know....LOL

superhawk22 06-05-2006 06:26 PM

Yeah, sorry it was a quick picture in the dark and I promise I won't kill anyone.

Randman 06-05-2006 06:37 PM

you mean you really really promise...LOL....yeah, as long as your taking pics of tires in the dark, and nothing else, it's all good....

superhawk22 06-05-2006 06:52 PM

Really really and anything else I do in the dark I pretty much keep to myself. :lol:

99Hawk 06-05-2006 07:09 PM

yikes, sorry I stepped in the middle here... OK, if the bead seals and your lean angle doesn't approach 85° then I guess all is A-OK ....

Randman 06-05-2006 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 99Hawk
yikes, sorry I stepped in the middle here... OK, if the bead seals and your lean angle doesn't approach 85° then I guess all is A-OK ....

You can rest assured that my lean angle will never surpass 55 degs if that...lol

These look damn near perfect down the middle, I plan on using them for some summer touring....then toss them in the fall....lol I don't have a lot to do this summer so I might as well ride...Oh did I mention that cliffhangers is for sale... cliffhangerstx.com Great business for someone....(little plug)

superhawk22 06-05-2006 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 99Hawk

Why did I seem angry...No biggie I just think you should see what it is before you jump on it so quickly. Like I said I would never sell something that would risk a crash and 85 degrees is pretty steep be careful man.

Randman 06-05-2006 07:41 PM

Why did I seem angry...No biggie I just think you should see what it is before you jump on it so quickly. Like I said I would never sell something that would risk a crash and 85 degrees is pretty steep be careful man.

Your right, 55 is way too steep to, maybe like 35.5 degs...yeah that's better, shew, almost tipped over there, glad I changed it....LOL

superhawk22 06-05-2006 07:44 PM

:lol: Oh and anyone else is welcome to chime in I promise not to bite your heads off. :wink:

Randman 06-05-2006 09:06 PM

:lol: Oh and anyone else is welcome to chime in I promise not to bite your heads off. :wink:

Little PMS? LOL

superhawk22 06-05-2006 09:17 PM

YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT!!!!:evil: I mean.....whatever are you saying? :lol:

Randman 06-05-2006 09:31 PM

YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT!!!!:evil: I mean.....whatever are you saying? :lol:

Nothing, I mean no you don't look fat in that dress....reallly....

superhawk22 06-05-2006 09:39 PM

Aha, well trained response. :wink:

call me phil 06-08-2006 08:03 AM

cliffhanger......do you know what kind of machine your tire guy is using? even though that part of the bead dosen't really do anything, it isnt too good an idea to have any cuts in the bead face area of the tire. i am sure your tire guy is good, and this is in no way an unsafe tire to ride on, i can tell you as a professional T.I.A certified tire tech, cuts in bead areas are not always a good idea. it can possibly lead to water getting between the carcass of the tire and the tread area and may cause some ridability issues. i would suggest your tire guy go by the old tire advise, "treat tires like virgins, go slow, easy, and use LOTS of lube."

Randman 06-08-2006 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by call me phil
cliffhanger......do you know what kind of machine your tire guy is using? even though that part of the bead dosen't really do anything, it isnt too good an idea to have any cuts in the bead face area of the tire. i am sure your tire guy is good, and this is in no way an unsafe tire to ride on, i can tell you as a professional T.I.A certified tire tech, cuts in bead areas are not always a good idea. it can possibly lead to water getting between the carcass of the tire and the tread area and may cause some ridability issues. i would suggest your tire guy go by the old tire advise, "treat tires like virgins, go slow, easy, and use LOTS of lube."

He is old school tire man/mechanic...when you walk in he has dirty hands....gotta luv that....true grease monkey..I pointed it out to him, he said they would be fine....so I am not concerned....

call me phil 06-09-2006 07:45 AM

like i said, the chances of anything happening due to a cut in the bead face are very slim. the biggest thing is that you have a mechanic that you trust. i too sometimes do tires old school, but like i said, i use lots of lube.