SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Tinsle sound only in 6th gear and vibration (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/tinsle-sound-only-6th-gear-vibration-28802/)

kardiac996 07-17-2012 07:27 PM

Tinsle sound only in 6th gear and vibration

Hey all,

So Saturday I changed my oil using 10w40 semi honda syn, filter and air filter all oem. I also raised my preload on the front forks to the top line to prevent bottom outs cause of my 200lbs. I have noticed after this basic maintenance my SH now has this tinsle type sound when riding only in 6th gear all the way through rpm range. It gets more intense with accel. With this new discovery i have also noticed the bike has way more vibration then im used too.

I'm not one to typically have my hands go numb but this is very noticeable. I also feel it in the pegs and tank.... I got off the bike after a 30 mile run to work this morning and literally my d*&k was numb hahah I stood up and was like oww wtf. I will also note that my seat key latch was broken and i have removed it and to keep the seat in place i slightly bent the frame catches back to hold the seat pegs down. not sure if this can add to this phenom.

Anyone have any thoughts in this recent behavior? Chain and sprockets are in good shape as well

Thanks guys.

BeerHunter 07-17-2012 08:07 PM

I do recall a sixth gear noise that sounds like what you are describing. Have not noticed it in quite some time. That noise may have been present when I was running with Honda oil, not sure if it was synthetic though. I also noticed what appeared to be occasional clutch slippage with that oil in the crankcase.

Vibration, I have observed, can be caused by a lean running condition. You replaced the air filter. The engine could be a bit fuel starved. What is your jetting setup?

kardiac996 07-17-2012 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by BeerHunter (Post 338017)
I do recall a sixth gear noise that sounds like what you are describing. Have not noticed it in quite some time. That noise may have been present when I was running with Honda oil, not sure if it was synthetic though. I also noticed what appeared to be occasional clutch slippage with that oil in the crankcase.

Vibration, I have observed, can be caused by a lean running condition. You replaced the air filter. The engine could be a bit fuel starved. What is your jetting setup?

Stock jet setup to my knowledge as the PO stated he didnt jet it. with de baffled stock cans. The old air filter was nasty left to me by the PO. Filled with acorns and debris i don't think much air was passing to her for a while.

8541Hawk 07-17-2012 08:31 PM

Have you sync'ed the carbs lately?

kardiac996 07-17-2012 08:36 PM

^^^^ No i haven't... Any reason why my recent maintenance would put out the sync in carbs? Though I probably should do that just as another item to check to PO.

8541Hawk 07-17-2012 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by kardiac996 (Post 338021)
^^^^ No i haven't... Any reason why my recent maintenance would put out the sync in carbs? Though I probably should do that just as another item to check to PO.

It's not that you did anything to get them out of sync, just you might not of noticed they were out before due to the clogged air filter.

BeerHunter 07-17-2012 08:48 PM

If the vibration is new since you changed the air filter, then opening the pilot screws 1/8~1/4 turn may improve the condition at cruise. As far as I know, the stock setup is very much on the lean side of useable. Shimming the needles could help also and should improve performance too.

And, as Hawk said, checking the carb synch is always a good idea.

How many miles on the odometer, and when was the last valve adjustment done?

kardiac996 07-17-2012 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 338022)
It's not that you did anything to get them out of sync, just you might not of noticed they were out before due to the clogged air filter.

Good point, Ill go with the thought and work the sync process to dbl check. Ill also check for a lean condition as Beer stated just in case.

Both thoughts are very helpful, I'm new to the work on my own bike thing (used to be to scared lol) so some troubleshooting processes elude my head.

I appreciate the insight, ill see what i can find out this weekend and update.

kardiac996 07-17-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by BeerHunter (Post 338023)
If the vibration is new since you changed the air filter, then opening the pilot screws 1/8~1/4 turn may improve the condition at cruise. As far as I know, the stock setup is very much on the lean side of useable. Shimming the needles could help also and should improve performance too.

And, as Hawk said, checking the carb synch is always a good idea.

How many miles on the odometer, and when was the last valve adjustment done?

20 k miles and cant comment on valve adjustment so probably another item to put on my list of preventative maintenance. The list has grown! I always try to figure without records that the PO didn't do anything so good looking out.

Thanks,

blamecanada 07-17-2012 09:27 PM

Mine has always had that noise in 6th...even when running rich (when I was playing with the carbs).

If you figure out what it is let us know.

kardiac996 07-18-2012 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by blamecanada (Post 338027)
Mine has always had that noise in 6th...even when running rich (when I was playing with the carbs).

If you figure out what it is let us know.

Will do! I'm going to pop her open this weekend. Ill share the findings.