SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Things I have noticed with new exhaust.. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/things-i-have-noticed-new-exhaust-17390/)

lazn 02-01-2009 07:22 PM

Things I have noticed with new exhaust..

So while I had a fully stock bike I never had the issue of stalling when pulling the clutch at speed but now I do.

Also the bike seems to idle rougher.

And back fire more. (I am considering disabling PAIR but before I didn't even consider it.)

So my thoughts are that changing the exhaust changed the mixture just enough to cause these "known issues" with the bike that it didn't have stock.

Reason 02-01-2009 07:27 PM

Did you get it rejetted? I was under the impression that was necessary or at least strongly suggested for aftermarket pipes.

jbaxx 02-01-2009 08:01 PM

Sounds like a re-jet is in order.

marra 02-02-2009 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 198305)
So while I had a fully stock bike I never had the issue of stalling when pulling the clutch at speed but now I do.

Also the bike seems to idle rougher.

And back fire more. (I am considering disabling PAIR but before I didn't even consider it.)

So my thoughts are that changing the exhaust changed the mixture just enough to cause these "known issues" with the bike that it didn't have stock.

sounds like it just wants setting up mate, i had it when i fitted blueflame cans.

And back fire more (and the problem is????) :evillaugh:

lazn 02-02-2009 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Reason (Post 198306)
Did you get it rejetted? I was under the impression that was necessary or at least strongly suggested for aftermarket pipes.

I read mixed results with this, and yruyur didn't need to with his D&D pipes.. However mine seem to.

Some of those things (stall when clutch at speed) are listed as known "quirks" of the bike that I had never experienced..

Anyways, I am thinking of just shimming the jets to see if that helps...

However I also think these pipes are too loud an am considering adding a baffle to them.. Blasphemy I know.

lazn 02-02-2009 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by marra (Post 198329)
sounds like it just wants setting up mate, i had it when i fitted blueflame cans.

And back fire more (and the problem is????) :evillaugh:

:D Actually when riding at night and backfiring it actually shoots blue flames out the back of the new pipes!! lol (was just told this Sat night when riding w yruyur)

finepooch 02-02-2009 09:00 AM

re jet

MLB 02-02-2009 08:54 PM

if it's backfiring on deceleration then it's lean because the exhaust is flowing more air.
Rejet.

swordfish 02-03-2009 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 198365)
:D Actually when riding at night and backfiring it actually shoots blue flames out the back of the new pipes!! lol (was just told this Sat night when riding w yruyur)

mine does that too. I like it. its not hurting the pipes. the bike is tuned for open pipes. so if anything slightly rich. I can live with it. adds character.

bundleofgrundle 02-03-2009 12:27 PM

mine does the same. I was doing around 50mph and pulled the clutch in so i could shake the numb out of my right hand. i let the clutch out and the rear decided to break traction and start fishtailing. this happened 1st week i had my bike. since then i've learned to live with it...probably should re-jet at some point though.

FL02SupaHawk996 02-03-2009 12:36 PM

re-jet:spank:

Hawkrider 02-03-2009 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by MLB (Post 198431)
if it's backfiring on deceleration then it's lean because the exhaust is flowing more air.
Rejet.

Wrong. It's due to PAIR. See knowledge base.

lazn 02-04-2009 08:52 AM

I am thinking of getting a pair of these and attaching them to the baffles inside the MIGs

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...1-DEE007B674EB

CentralCoaster 02-04-2009 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by bundleofgrundle (Post 198516)
mine does the same. I was doing around 50mph and pulled the clutch in so i could shake the numb out of my right hand. i let the clutch out and the rear decided to break traction and start fishtailing. this happened 1st week i had my bike. since then i've learned to live with it...probably should re-jet at some point though.

What's that have to do with jetting? You always have to match your rpms back up before re-engaging the clutch at speed, otherwise the engine braking will try and kill you.

Maybe the louder exhaust is causing some of you guys to have to relearn how much throttle you need to engage the clutch. Take a look at your tach and you'll probably find you're unintentionally riding at lower rpms than you did with the deceivingly quiet stock pipes.

CentralCoaster 02-04-2009 11:00 AM

I left my PAIR on because I like the pops and gurgles.

You probably don't hear them with the stock pipes because they're so quiet.

L8RGYZ 02-04-2009 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster (Post 198740)
I left my PAIR on because I like the pops and gurgles.

Yeah, there's a certain point where if I decel from high revs it just goes off like a gunshot. It did it a few weeks ago right as I went by a cop in a curve. I wasn't speeding so it was no problem, but the cop is bound to have jumped out of his seat when it happened. I know I would have!

inderocker 02-04-2009 07:21 PM

You shouldn't need to re-jet with just slip on's, although the MIG's are very open.... so at most you'll need to shim the needles. The backfiring is caused by the fresh air being added to your exhaust via the "PAIR" system... disable it. It wasn't noticeable before because your stock pipes had a baffle that could muffle it. The VTR carb fix mod will generally take care of the stalling (http://www.superhawk996.net/), also make sure your idle is set at 1,200 rpm. Theres no reason why it should be idling rougher as you didn't make any changes to the pilot circuit... perhaps bad fuel?