SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Thermostat housing leak (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/thermostat-housing-leak-12198/)

VTRFan 07-20-2007 11:45 AM

Thermostat housing leak

Hey guys! odd question, and im sure nobody has had this problem before...ive realized my bike leeks coolant when im riding around, when i stop to look...nothing, but as soon as i accelerate and start living the dream i feel a slow warm trickle on my right foot.

Anyway, i thought it was from the water pump housing so i cleaned everything around it and started the bike unitl it got to temp....still nothing, so i revved it for a while (nothing crazy) and noticed at about 5k there is a small pin-needle sized hole that would shoot fluid out of the water-pump housing??? Anyone no why this is??? I figured it to be a freak weakening in the cover and thought about rubbing some JB weld over the top to seel the deal, i know that sounds trashy but if its that small surely it would fix it...right??? any suggestions?

Thanks fellas'

Lefin102 07-20-2007 11:51 AM

Are you sure it's the thermostat housing and not the water pump housing? There is a weep hole in the water pump housing and if coolant is coming out the pump seals are bad. Don't plug it if it's the water pump housing.

VTRFan 07-20-2007 12:03 PM

YEAH!! its the water pump housing not the thermostat housing! thats my mistake....so the seals are bad and thats causing it to leak through the actual cover? Is it the pump seal or cover seal and do you know of a diagram?
Thanks

Lefin102 07-20-2007 12:20 PM

If the leaks is coming through the hole then the seals are bad. Can't help with diagram. If you aren't able to remove the clutch cover and make repairs then get someone who can. You will have to press out the impeller install the new seals then the impeller and so on. Not for first timers.

VTRFan 07-20-2007 12:52 PM

Im pretty good with figuring things out, I think ill just tear it down and go from there...Ive worked on a lot of quads so it shouldnt be too bad...and if i cant do it, ill atleast save the mechanic time :)

Lefin102 07-20-2007 01:13 PM

git r done

VTRFan 07-20-2007 01:23 PM

Haha....hell yeah...10 minutes and she'll be off like a prom dress!

Lefin102 07-20-2007 01:40 PM

It takes you 10 minutes! Dude we gota talk. Try using your feet.

VTRFan 07-23-2007 05:50 AM

Haha...alright fellas here is the update with the problem, this weekend i took the water pump housing cover off and come to find out at the top of the cover where there is an indention there was a factory problem with the casting and when i inspected it I ran my finger along the inside, as i did this i picked at the area i thought was leaking (gently) and i was able to easily push through the housing!!! The metal was very thin and would of given away easily if i waited any later. This was suprising to me that a Honda part could fail like this but I high-temp silicone sealed it and then good ole JB welded it until i can get another cover off of a Junked bike or go by a new one from a dealer. it works for now but it was surprising to feel the metal collapse like it did. I hate fixing stuff like that but it worked so i could ride this weekend, I'll get a new one as soon as i find one!! Hope you all had a good weekend and ill keep you posted!!

Lefin102 07-23-2007 07:07 AM

If you were using the wroung anti freeze there might be more damage in other places. Some anti freeze isn't friendly to aluminun.