SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Temp sensor sealant options (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/temp-sensor-sealant-options-28295/)

Bandit400man 05-15-2012 04:01 PM

Temp sensor sealant options

2 Attachment(s)
Hey folks, gotta question.

So I got that Nissan Temp sensor that kicks on at a lower temp with the two wires. Problem is now that when torqued down, the gasket squishes out and becomes ineffective once hot, seeping coolant:

Attachment 24763

As you can see, the gasket is all squashed out. The factory one seems to have a smaller diameter gasket recessed in a groove:

Attachment 24764

So my question is this: Whats the best sealant method for this application? Copper or bronze crush washer? Thread sealant tape? Liquid 'insta' gasket stuff? How about a combination of both or all?
Coolant is becoming expensive at this rate LOL, so this next time I'm hoping whatever we can decide on will be a permanent solution.
Thanks in advance for the input!!

GTS 05-15-2012 04:06 PM

I like the thread sealant in a tube. Or thred tape. Either should work. The stuff in a tube will be less likely to mess with the grounding of the sensor if it uses a ground through the threads but I don't think that's the case if it's a 2 wire sensor so it should be fine either way.

Bandit400man 05-15-2012 04:12 PM

Yeah its a two wire...so your for the tape and some liquid gasket...cool.
Already got the gasket stuff (orange/red, high temp stuff) so I guess I gotta 'borrow' some sealant tape from work LOL. Thanks for the quick-ass reply!!

thetophatflash 05-15-2012 05:00 PM

Green Locktite

smokinjoe73 05-15-2012 07:30 PM

What temp does it open at? Mine is now 87C which is like 189ish F. How much was it?

I gotta think a crush washer would be the permanent fix. Coating the threads may also work, not sure how hot teflon tape withstands.

Oh BTW... that is a fan switch. Temp sensor is for the guage.

Bandit400man 05-16-2012 04:23 AM

Joe, Damn...Ok..I tried lol
An thanks for all the info guys! An green loctite? Gotta look that one up
Oh yeah an Joe, couldn't tell ya what temp, just that its def before the halfway point on the oil? Coolant? Temp gauge...i can photo it when I'm outta work...it does kick on earlier tho which was my goal..
More pics later

smokinjoe73 05-16-2012 07:20 AM

It should be stamped on one of the flats of the hex. Like 80-on

RWhisen 05-16-2012 07:52 AM

The gasket is squishing out because it does not have a proper set to fill. You could remove the o-ring try a copper washer like many vehicles are using on their oil pan drains or you could try the thread sealant. Keep in mind one thing if you use thread sealant, it's gonna be a sum bitch to remove.

thetophatflash 05-16-2012 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by RWhisen (Post 332599)
The gasket is squishing out because it does not have a proper set to fill. You could remove the o-ring try a copper washer like many vehicles are using on their oil pan drains or you could try the thread sealant. Keep in mind one thing if you use thread sealant, it's gonna be a sum bitch to remove.

Green Locktite...seals but is not "a sum bitch to remove". I've used it for 25 years in compressor work.

GTS 05-16-2012 09:46 AM

Thread sealants shouldn't make it hard to get loose. Just seal the threads. Thread lockers will make it hard to get loose.

From what I recall green Loctite is the super duper thead locker. Like it's supposed to lock smooth shafts together. So you might want to double check what you're getting. Maybe they make a thread sealer and a thread locker that are both green but both different substances and not so much interchangable.

thetophatflash 05-16-2012 10:32 AM

Locktite 680 to be more specific.

RWhisen 05-16-2012 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by thetophatflash (Post 332619)
Locktite 680 to be more specific.

Use 680 and it WILL be a sum bitch to get apart according to Loctite:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

LOCTITE® 680™ provides the following product characteristics:

Technology

Acrylic Chemical Type Methacrylate ester

Appearance (uncured) Green liquid

Fluorescence Positive under UV light

Components One component - requires no mixing
Viscosity Medium
Cure

Anaerobic Secondary Cure Activator

Application

Retaining Strength High

LOCTITE
® 680™ is designed for the bonding of cylindrical

fitting parts, particularly where low viscosity is required. The
product cures when confined in the absence of air between
close fitting metal surfaces and prevents loosening and

leakage from shock and vibration.

What you should be using is Loctite 5770 which is a thread sealer with a high temperature rating.

GTS 05-16-2012 11:15 AM

RWhisen that sounds like the stuff I was thinking of.

Bandit400man 05-16-2012 12:24 PM

Suppose since I asked for a PERMANENT solution lol...
much appreciated guys! Guess I'll go the crush washer/teflon tape route....unless somebody's had it melt on them?

Bandit400man 05-16-2012 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about these things?? EPDM backed 250+ rated aluminum non-corrosive crush washers!! Love it when you can go to work and 'barrow' things LOL

Attachment 24757