SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Stupid header donut (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/stupid-header-donut-34281/)

smokinjoe73 11-24-2016 08:57 AM

Stupid header donut

Anyone notice how annoying it is when the donut gasket on the rear header disintegrates? I knew my hawk was getting louder and eventually it became motogp loud. I repacked the mufflers but then realized the donut was also gone.

The hardest part is getting the inner stud nut off the stud, but then also the clamp bolt head broke off and its impossible (so far) to get that clamp off. I will probly have to cut it with a dremel if I can reach it.

Weird how all this happened and the headlight bulb blew all on Thanksgiving.

I am thankful to have a bike to wrench on.

E.Marquez 11-25-2016 07:52 AM

I've replaced all the exhaust gaskets about three times now... and its not like im taking the headers and cans on an off monthly so "wearing" them out.
But after a year or so Thats all year round riding like you, Texas Hot to Texas cold (high 20ths at worst and more commonly mid 30s for a few weeks)
So yes, I too have found the gaskets dont last.

smokinjoe73 11-25-2016 08:18 AM

That's sort of good news. At least I am not alone in the struggle. Gotta say the can repacks are about the same interval. Even tried different brands of packing, ceramic, etc. They all disintegrate about the same.

Jack Flash 11-27-2016 07:10 AM

My bike also begun this back in September. I had to tighten the header to remove the space from the lose of the doughnut. And this after only 6000 km of riding after putting a new one in.

My thought is to put 2 instead of 1. This will also take care of the little loose in the rear header that was there even after having put a new one in last Spring. Perhaps there are other solutions to this problem, like the use of another gasket from an other brand.

Any ideas are welcome...

CrankenFine 11-27-2016 10:16 AM

:shock: Ruh roh! I have never even checked the condition of mine.

I have a little popping on decel going down hills. Maybe related? Time for some inspection.

smokinjoe73 11-27-2016 11:54 AM

So Jack for me the issue was the donut or whatever Honda calls the gasket that goes on the other end of the header, not at the cylinder. The one that connects to the exhaust. Its a thick fiber donut that must absorb a lot of vibes and jarring from bumps, thus pummeling it.

Part #6 on this diagram
Honda Motorcycle Parts 2005 VTR1000F A MUFFLER Diagram

I always keep several on hand for this issue. I have always used them.

Jack Flash 11-28-2016 07:11 PM

What the hell, they are both a bitch.

RoadManiac 12-22-2016 10:39 PM

Personally on my Hawk i have never had an issue with the gaskets

But where i work we have a long time customer with a XL Varadero and like you guys i have replaced that one gasket on the rear header 3 times :mad:

And a Varadero is a bitch to work on alot more needs to come off before you can get to the exhaust

smokinjoe73 12-23-2016 03:31 PM

Maniac, how many miles (or kilometers in your case) does your bike have? They just wear out over time and really bad roads make it accelerate. Keep an eye on them.

RoadManiac 01-30-2017 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 400041)
Maniac, how many miles (or kilometers in your case) does your bike have? They just wear out over time and really bad roads make it accelerate. Keep an eye on them.

My bike is 60,000 km old and like a true honda still going strong, i will hear it when it goes haha... and sometimes i take some speedhumps like its a supermotard :rolleyes:

kenmoore 01-31-2017 12:20 AM

I don't have one, just liberal amounts of high temp silicone gasket goo.

No leaks at this stage but link pipe not standard either and a very snug fit.

NHSH 01-31-2017 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by RoadManiac (Post 400499)
My bike is 60,000 km old and like a true honda still going strong, i will hear it when it goes haha... and sometimes i take some speedhumps like its a supermotard :rolleyes:

60k is niet veel in mijlen, nog te vroeg in mijn mening ;)

RoadManiac 02-13-2017 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 400514)
60k is niet veel in mijlen, nog te vroeg in mijn mening ;)

Hahaha nee klopt, die Varadero heeft meer op de teller staan

(That varadero has more miles on it but also more weight)