SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Steering Stem Bearing Torque (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/steering-stem-bearing-torque-24552/)

vtrwillie72 01-17-2011 04:36 AM

Steering Stem Bearing Torque

Hey Guys,
I am in the midst of putting the front end of my bike back together after a fork rebuild & I have replaced the steering head bearings while I had it apart. What have you guys come up with as far as an effective way of torqueing the steering stem bearings down with out having the special tool from Honda?

Thanks

Tweety 01-17-2011 04:51 AM

The right size socket, grinder and some patience and you can quite easily make one yourself... Or if you have welding equipment it's usually easier to cut up two sockets to get the needed depth too clear the steering stem... There are a few threads around with images by me and others, a quick search will find them if you need to visualize it...

comedo 01-18-2011 01:09 PM

Did you replace the steering head bearings with OEM caged ball bearings or with aftermarket roller bearings? The proper torque is not the same for both.

vtrwillie72 01-18-2011 02:33 PM

allballs tapered bearings......I didn't even think of that.

fred 01-18-2011 03:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1 and 9/16 works if they don't have the deep socket in mm. angle grinder and dremmel tool and wear jeans you don't mind getting burn holes in :-)

Syclone 01-18-2011 04:59 PM

A 12 point 1 11/16" socket works perfectly.

VTRBandit 02-08-2011 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Syclone (Post 291311)
A 12 point 1 11/16" socket works perfectly.

Oddly enough I was in the same boat just the other day and came across this thread. A 12 pt 1 11/16" socket does in fact get the job done. You can't find them at Lowes, Home Depot, auto parts stores or even Harbor Freight. I had to pick mine up from Northern Tool an luckily they had them in stock. The socket itself is about 1mm too shallow but with steady pressure evenly set on top, it came off with no problem.

Little tip though: If you don't by chance already own a 3/4" driver, don't buy the 3/4" to 1/2" adapter for $8 at Northern Tool when you can get the same adapter plus two extras at Harbor Freight for $4.

evines 02-08-2011 10:56 AM

A 42mm 12-point socket worked also. Bought it at Harbor Freight as part of their jumbo metric socket set. Had a lot of other useful sizes for the superhawk also. And with cheapo harbor freight adaptors, it was compatible with the 3/8" torque wrench I had.

Wolverine 02-09-2011 12:51 PM

Be prepared to re-adjust that sucker in a few months of riding! Keep tabs on the feel. Jack her up :eek: and try to wiggle up and down @ full lock or try to push/pull on the front wheel when its off the ground. The last thing you want is to wear new bearings.

comedo 02-09-2011 03:26 PM

I tightened the adjustment nut until the steering stem moved with some resistance and then I moved it back and forth until it loosened. I did that several times. I tightened the adjustment nut to about 100 in-lb. That's slightly more than specified in the Honda Common Service manual (8 ft-lb.) for tapered roller bearings but less than that specified in the VTR shop manual (18 ft-lb.) for caged ball bearings. There is a wide range of opinions on the Internet about the proper installation torque. This approach worked for me. YMMV