SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Steering Head Bearing nuts driving me NUTS! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/steering-head-bearing-nuts-driving-me-nuts-33287/)

thedeatons 06-21-2015 01:16 PM

Steering Head Bearing nuts driving me NUTS!

Hey guys.... All Balls tapered bearings installed over the winter. I have retightened my steering head bearing nuts 4 times now, and it feels like they are loose again... I'm tempted to resort to red Loctite... Can anyone help me figure out what is going on?

I've tried getting the lower nut real snug, then cranking the upper nut against it, but they still come loose...

James

captainchaos 06-21-2015 04:13 PM

2001 Honda VTR1000F A STEERING STEM | Ron Ayers

Missing #7 (lock washer) by any chance?

CruxGNZ 06-21-2015 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 387604)
2001 Honda VTR1000F A STEERING STEM | Ron Ayers

Missing #7 (lock washer) by any chance?

I would think the same thing. It shouldn't go anywhere with the lock washer in place.

Wolverine 06-21-2015 05:54 PM

^^ +2 ^^

scottiemann 06-21-2015 06:43 PM

^^^ +10

that washer has tabs that bend up and down inbetween the two... they wont go anywhere with that in place

thedeatons 06-21-2015 09:12 PM

I have the lock washer, and tabs are bent up and down... Washer is placed between the two nuts.

James

scottiemann 06-21-2015 09:23 PM

maybe bearing races arent fully seated, and are fully seating due to abuse on the road? its a possibility, find some sockets and tap those in and see... maybe

thedeatons 06-21-2015 09:32 PM

Yah that's what i did last winter after powdercoat... Bearing races were installed after freezing, frame was mapp gas torched, races beat in really well....

James

CruxGNZ 06-21-2015 09:44 PM

Then there are two scenarios. One, the outer race was never seated correctly, or two, the assembly (#5,6, & 7) is backing off somehow. Number one seems more likely.

smokinjoe73 06-21-2015 09:53 PM

I agree that these bearings are a nuisance. There should be a better way.

I have always found them to come loose, even with hardly any wheelies.

I cant say locktite is out of the question as getting back in there to adjust them is a real hassle.

scottiemann 06-21-2015 09:55 PM

tighten those bitches up, mark them with something, and when you feel they are loosening take a look and see if they are backing off

thedeatons 06-21-2015 09:56 PM

So what if i tightened it again, then marked the upper and lower nut with a sharpie (make a reference line), make another mark on the frame. Then i can see what is really going on correct?

James

scottiemann 06-21-2015 09:58 PM

see my post right above yours ;)

thats what I'd do

thedeatons 06-22-2015 08:16 AM

We posted 1 minute apart lol...

James

smokinjoe73 06-22-2015 09:05 AM

Marking the frame wont help since they rotate with the triples.

CruxGNZ 06-22-2015 10:15 AM

It would work if you go full lock to the left or right, then mark the frame.

thedeatons 07-20-2015 07:10 AM

So i tightened everything again two weeks ago. Got 1/4 turn out of the lower nut, then retightened the top nut against it, and rebent the lock washer tabs.

Took it for a 125 mile ride and the steering felt a little too snug. After about 50 miles it had loosened up and felt normal again. After 125 miles it seemed like it may be loose again.

I'm experiencing a little "knock" when i hit the brakes. I don't think its the brake pads moving in the calipers.

I'll try to remove the top triple clamp again today, remove the nuts, and try to reseat the top race more. I cannot remove the forks and work on the bottom race right now.

I think i may have thrown away the old races, so i need to find something like a big socket that will allow me to hammer evenly on the AllBalls race....

I've considered smacking the lower triple tree with my small sledge to try and seat the lower race, but have some concerns about hurting the bearing :)

James

thedeatons 07-20-2015 07:57 AM

Just found the center nut on TOP of the triple clamp was barely tight. I KNOW I cranked it down real tight when I last retightened everything... Hmmm...

James

thedeatons 07-20-2015 08:03 AM

Top adjuster nut UNDER the top triple clamp was really tight. That's a good sign.

Sorry for all the posts. These are real time updates.

James

thedeatons 07-20-2015 08:23 AM

Well... I didn't remove the top bearing because i don't have the front end off the ground, family is in town for the week, and i'm running out of time... Lame excuses i know.

I did apply pressure several times to the top bearing (exact method is a trade secret).... Not exactly my best day, but I felt I had to do something since I was in there.

Reinstalled thr top triple and will Red Loctite the top nut this time...

James

xeris 07-26-2015 10:48 AM

As stated earlier, the most likely cause is the races not seated. Doesn't make sense that the nuts with the locking tab would loosen. Was there any powder coat in the neck?
It is possible to distort the cages, although I'm guessing that you didn't put that much torque on the nut. As with wheel bearings torque to a preload then back off to what ever is called for.

thedeatons 07-26-2015 12:57 PM

Rode 100 miles yesterday. It felt alright, no knocking when stopping. It did feel like the bike was wandering a lot at lower speeds, like in town traffic, and idling in heavy traffic.

At this point I'm gonna keep an eye on it until winter, then pull the front end off again and check everything.

I would really like to get ahold of the steering stem socket so I can torque it properly (I know I can make one, but I would prefer not to). Hoping to find an inexpensive one somewhere like I did the frame castle nut socket.

To answer your question Xeris: No powder in the steering head area. I made sure it was spotless before installing the races. Also I never torqued the nut, just snugged it.

James

kenmoore 07-26-2015 02:14 PM

I have a set of all balls tapered races waiting to go in, but after all the drama you are having I am hesitant to do them !

Seems like a major pain and the originals are still good.

I think I will keep them until the originals go.

thedeatons 07-26-2015 03:38 PM

The only reason i did it was because i had the frame powdercoated.

If i had to do it over again i would have used all thread and a couple washers/nuts and made a squeeze press thingee... that would have seated the races better, assuming that is the problem.

I'll need to find a used set of races this winter so i can make one of those...

James

E.Marquez 07-26-2015 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 388828)
I have a set of all balls tapered races waiting to go in, but after all the drama you are having I am hesitant to do them !

Seems like a major pain and the originals are still good.

I think I will keep them until the originals go.

There is no drama when installed correctly.

I've installed hundreds of sets of tapered steering bearings.. NOT ONE issue ever.... I have them in all 6 of my bikes, and every bike owned previously.. NEVER an issue.

I don't profess to know why one or two people on this list find them to not work as designed, I just know it's not a common complaint.. and the few times I've worked on a bike where it was an issue, the install was ALWAYS the problem... races not seated, head tube damaged, nicked, dented, cracked or had debris when the races were installed. wrong tools used to install, damaging race, or head tube or the steering stem.

Not saying that is the issue with well known members here,, just never seen it otherwise.

thedeatons 07-26-2015 04:14 PM

Keep in mind i never said i installed them correctly, or used the right tools. I did the same thing i did on every other bearing i've installed. Squared it up, tapped it in slow, then continued to hammer it in (not using direct hits, but using the old races as an intermediary), until the sound changed from it hitting bottom. Then i hit it some more to ensure it was seated.

I realize this is not the proper way, or the proper tool, it's just what i did.

Live and learn.

James

scottiemann 07-26-2015 09:17 PM

you dont always need the "proper"tool... ALL of my bearings have been installed using the hammer and socket or hammer and old race method. never had any issues...

could there be some bearing grease on your threads causing an improper torque or allowing the nuts to back out easier?

thedeatons 07-26-2015 09:37 PM

I don't think so. In fact last time i looked the nuts hadn't moved, or didn't seem to have moved from where i marked them.

Time will tell. I'll tell you guys more when i know more.

James

kenmoore 07-27-2015 06:08 AM

Hmmm,

Still concerned about this.

James obviously has a good understanding of the mechanics of a bike.

Could it be that the bearings are faulty or damaged?

Time will tell, however I am leaving mine for now!

mikstr 07-27-2015 06:11 AM

I went through the same thing before finding out the frame neck had gone oval where the races sit.......