SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Starting Problems...CCTs? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/starting-problems-ccts-9947/)

99Hawkboy 11-14-2006 07:44 PM

Starting Problems...CCTs?

After installing my APE manual cam chain tensioners I have noticed that the engine has been having some problems with starting. The starter will engage, stop for a quick second and then slowly turn the engine over. Never did this before... Could it be the starter or is the CCT turned to tight..?
Also my current setup for the CCTs is finger tight minus 1/2 turn..
thanks!

zimm 11-15-2006 05:31 AM

I had the same problem. CCT's are too tight. Loosen them up a bit.

99Hawkboy 11-15-2006 07:59 AM

Yeah thats what I kinda figure.. How do i know if I go too loose though?

zimm 11-15-2006 08:16 AM

I backed them off one at a time until they started making noise while running. Then slowly tighten until it quieted down, then I locked the adjustments in. No problems so far.

SlowHAWK 11-15-2006 08:32 AM

I agree to the too tight on the tensioners as well... I noticed my motor didn't turn over as fast as usual on the first restart, soon as I backed them off a 1/2 turn each, things worked just fine.

J.

99Hawk 11-15-2006 03:22 PM

Just back each off another 1/2 turn for a total of 1 full turn out.
I found that a full turn out (from finger tight) gave about the same plunger pressure as the stock CCT spring anyway.

99Hawkboy 11-15-2006 04:33 PM

Alrighty! Ill bring the bike back in tonight to adjust the front CCT.. The rear was easy but the font one is impossible to adjust w/out pulling the tank/air box off..

Thumper 05-02-2007 08:50 PM

So i am about to do the MCCT install. From what i have read most of you are running 1 turn out from finger tight setting.

Is this correct.

I have already pulled the vavle covers and checked valve clearances (15k so it was time) and all are with-in specs.

My plan is to do the rear first, put zip ties on the cam sprockets around the cam chain and sporcket to help keep the chain from jumping a tooth, make sure i am on RT timing mark and that the cam lobes are up and inward facing.

Other than that i assume its is a simple task to remove the Honda CCT, install the APE CCT and finger tighted - 1 turn out.

Of course i will need to verify this again after turning over several times and after starting.

Any other quick tips. I am more than comfortable with the process and have done stuff like this on in-line fours and my old CB750F has a Factory manual CCT and it works very similar.

I appreciate any updated comments, like how often you might have to re-check these from some of you that have had yours installed sometime.

Thanks agian for any comments you post

Hawkrider 05-02-2007 09:41 PM

I run lightly finger tight. Pretty much the same thing. Works well for me and the motor sounds like a....Honda. Imagine that! They should be adjusted with the engine at normal operating temperature.

Thumper 05-05-2007 08:39 PM

Well i successfully got them in and started the bike after the precautinary turn over by wrench and again with the starter with engine switch off.

She started right up and sound nice and quite. I went with finger tight ( as tight as my fingers could turn it) and backed it off 1/2 turn. I now need to ge the tank back on a nd take a test ride, warm up the engine, and the readjust as needed.