SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Starter Clutch - Anyone ever replace one? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/starter-clutch-anyone-ever-replace-one-8945/)

Vincent 06-16-2006 12:17 PM

Starter Clutch - Anyone ever replace one?

So my bike has started moaning on hot start. The guy I usually take it to says its probably the starter clutch going out. It makes no noise when cold, only hot. Has anyone ever replaced theirs? Is it rough? Any tips?

shayne 06-17-2006 04:14 AM

Bit of a mission I think, as you need to remove the flywheel to get to it. OK if you have a flywheel puller of course.

Not sure why he would think it was the starter clutch. It is basically a big bearing that will only turn one way. My first thought would be the starter motor, but a mechanic would be an expert of course.

If you have don't have a flywhel puller you will not be able to do it. After that it is easy enough to get out, from memory.

Vincent 06-18-2006 04:07 PM

Thanks Shayne, I am just going to take it in. I just like to think I actually have time to work on the bike other than the occassional tinkering.

jtgraha2 07-12-2006 04:48 AM

hey vincent or anyone else.....

I'm beginning to have this same noise on hot startups . Did the starter clutch replacement fix it? Also did you notice a slight ticking noise with the the bum sprag clutch while the engine was hot also?

Thanks
Jon

Vincent 07-12-2006 08:47 AM

It was the starter motor. Replaced it and all is good. Never heard any ticking. I would recommend at least trying the motor replacement before you dive into the case. At least if you are not sure exactly what is wrong.

jtgraha2 07-13-2006 07:35 AM

hey thanks for the info. Yeah after installing APE CCT i started hearing the moaning and ticking noises. Thinking that the CCT was the cause I double checked the tension. I ran it until hot, finger tighted the adjusting bolt, then went 1/4 turn with a wrench. I feel that it is adjusted properly. Now I still hear a "moan sometimes when trying to start the bike up hot. (starter motor?) and sometime I hear a ticking (ticks with rpm) when the bike is hot. After running down the freeway and cooling it off some the ticking will just disappear. Any insight? I was thinking maybe a valve adjustment was needed but the bike only has 6K on it and shouldn't the valves become quieter as the temp rises?

Thanks
Jon

Vincent 07-14-2006 08:45 AM

I'm no expert, but it sounds like it could be valves. Did you finger tighten the APE's before you started it? Running with no tension on the tensioners could have caused a chain to skip a tooth. I've never had this happen and wouldn't know what it sounded like. Seems to me it would be more than a tick though. Maybe someone else has an opinion?

biker2k 07-01-2009 08:12 PM

honk on hot start

my bike is making a honking on hot start, but it alsow wants to shut off at stops after this starts happening...at first i thought starter, the I thought mycct's (ape) were set too tight
maybee way too tight, i have loosened them up and honking is still there on hot start, i don't want to drive it and cause any more dammage, could the starter cause the bike to shut off if it is binding? or could this be valve or cam problem, any iddeas?

superhawk1L 04-29-2011 11:40 AM

Noise w/HOT

I am having same problem - when engine gets warm, I hear ticking out of the engine area. I had talked to a mechanic and he thought it could be the starter clutch as well. But after revving engine a few 100 rpm the sound went away or when the engine was at highway speeds but at idle was ticking - also when he restarted the bike the ticking went away.

3amta3 06-30-2011 06:00 AM

Damn mine is doing the same thing to me. mine ticks at idle and under load durring takeoff not there at highway speeds or if i rev the engine. i also have a grown or honk on mine once and a while too. all this started when i changed out my CCTs. i am going to tear into pull the engien and take it all apart and change some stuff out(change clutch,weld starter clutch, adjust valves and check timing, check all the stuff inside the clutch housing) it is gonna be a project but something is not right. i will keep posted on it to see what i find and pass the info onto you guys to maybe help you out with yours.

geekonamotorcycle 06-30-2011 09:51 AM

all the Shawks I have ever heard has a light occasional ticking as part of their music. Is this really a problem?

3amta3 06-30-2011 10:36 AM

i have a buddy by me that has a 2002 SH and his does not make any noise at all(while running)

8541Hawk 06-30-2011 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 3amta3 (Post 307801)
Damn mine is doing the same thing to me. mine ticks at idle and under load durring takeoff not there at highway speeds or if i rev the engine. i also have a grown or honk on mine once and a while too. all this started when i changed out my CCTs. i am going to tear into pull the engien and take it all apart and change some stuff out(change clutch,weld starter clutch, adjust valves and check timing, check all the stuff inside the clutch housing) it is gonna be a project but something is not right. i will keep posted on it to see what i find and pass the info onto you guys to maybe help you out with yours.

So the noise started after you changed a part (in this case the CCTs) and it doesn't strike you that the thing you just did just might have made the noise you are now hearing?

So go ahead and chase down a bunch of other "possible" issues when common sense should say if you changed something and now you have some issues that the most likely place to look is what you just changed?

I would also like to see how you "weld" the starter clutch as it's a one way bearing..... :shock:

3amta3 06-30-2011 12:37 PM

weld the gear to the clutch housing where the rivits are. the noise that lead to the CCT's change was the sound of the chain smacking the block. now that they have been changed out that noise went away but now i have the issue that has been discribed above. i have been doing this shit for 15 years i am not a newbeeee, however there are noises and things i have not seen before thus the reason for being on this forum.

8541Hawk 06-30-2011 12:50 PM

Well then you should know the noises you describe are normally caused by the MCCTs being set too tight.....

and which part here is riveted?
Honda, ATV Parts, Scooter Parts, Motorcycle Parts,CRF,CR,MX Parts, Goldwing parts

3amta3 06-30-2011 12:58 PM

i have auto CCT's and number 3 should hve 3-4 rivits holding the gear to the clutch plate.