SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Special Tools - Steering bearings (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/special-tools-steering-bearings-33820/)

Chefmatt 03-16-2016 03:51 PM

Special Tools - Steering bearings

Hey All -

Replacing head bearings. Getting a click under hard braking, some steering wobble. And while I have forks off changing to Race-tech springs. And since I'm doing THAT in goes new fork seals, although they aren't leaking. Yet. :)

Do I need to buy c-spanners or steering stem socket (Steering stem socket 07916-371010) to remove two nuts under top triple? I saw mention of an 11/16" socket in other posts...correct torque values would be a challenge with c spanner or punch/hammer method. Also, size of top nut? 30mm? Thanks!

Any additional steering bearing replacement tips appreciated...have read alot of posts, maybe Dremel lower race, etc. More help is better tho.

Cadbury64 03-16-2016 07:17 PM

If you're pulling out the seals, I would suggest replacing the sliding bushes that guide the inner and outer fork tubes as these do wear over time.

I've replaced two sets of steering bearings with nothing but a punch and hammer, plus a c-spanner. There's not much torque required on the locknuts, and the top nut pulls the upper clamp tight on these also.

The outer races should punch out of the frame with some careful tapping. The lower race on the steering stem may well be corroded in place, and dremelling through that is the easy way off. If you put a decent cut through the removed old races, you can use these as drivers for the new races.

I did the steering up by hand, you can feel when you start to get resistance to turning. If you go too far, you will find it impossible to ride a smooth cornering arc as the steering resistance is too high. Go on, ask me how I know that!

Wolverine 03-16-2016 08:00 PM

Good advice ^^^
I used a large brass drift (punch) and tapped out my races without any drama, no cutting required. Just keep tapping around the entire race to bring it out straight. I already had an inch pounds torque wrench for another project, so I used it for bearing preload.

Chefmatt 03-17-2016 05:34 AM

Special tools..?

Thanks for the advice! Ordered bushing kit, may as well since I have the forks apart. Does that 11/16 fit on lock nut or do I need the tool? Also, top triple clamp nut size?

smokinjoe73 04-15-2016 11:51 AM

I have this one to remove the races. Drives them out squarely in just a few taps.

Dirt Bike Park Tool Steering Race Remover | MotoSport

CruxGNZ 04-15-2016 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 395045)
I have this one to remove the races. Drives them out squarely in just a few taps.

Dirt Bike Park Tool Steering Race Remover | MotoSport

Next time I need to remove those races, I'm making one of these simple tools. Thank for posting that. :cool:

Cadbury64 04-17-2016 01:00 AM

I did some steering head bearings on my ST1100 yesterday, and that tool would have been great! I used my 2 foot crowbar and big sledge hammer, it had a useful bend on the chisel end that just made contact with the back of the bearing race.

smokinjoe73 04-17-2016 06:51 AM

My issue with the drift method is that you still drive them out at an angle and out of square. This tool pays for itself.

E.Marquez 04-18-2016 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 395090)
My issue with the drift method is that you still drive them out at an angle and out of square. This tool pays for itself.

Yup.. ^^^
I use the Park tool driver or motion pro puller to remove the race from the frame
Steering Head Race Puller

And the Motion Pro tool to remove the cone from the stem and drive on the new one Steering Stem Bearing Tool
Slick tool that makes removing that lower race a breeze and no concern for cutting the stem like is done often with a cut off tool..or the chisel and cracking them off.

Motion Pro race driver to get them back in the frame
http://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0550

If you're only going to do one steering bearing every few years at most, use a hammer and brass drift.
If you like tools and want a better option consider the Motion Pro and park stuff.