SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Spark Plug Indexing (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/spark-plug-indexing-26369/)

johndoeafro 08-14-2011 01:19 PM

Spark Plug Indexing

Does anybody know what indexing works best for the sooperchikkin? I'm thinking it should have the electrode facing directly in between the intake vlaves (shroud to the exhaust side) but have read that that is not always the case, dependent, of course, on the engine. Does it seem to decrease any slight occurrence of missfire? I don't expect any noticeable gains, I only want to burn fuel as efficiently as possible.

autoteach 08-14-2011 02:16 PM

just spin those plugs in there :rolleyes:

jay956 08-14-2011 03:50 PM

first ive heard of this

autoteach 08-14-2011 04:08 PM

ngk's website says that indexing spark plugs is possibly good for less than 1%, and it would be difficult to gauge on a dyno, would require extensive testing, and quite possibly is a waste of time (I added the last as an inference from what I could tell from their description).

Stevebis1 08-14-2011 05:02 PM

Waste of time???
People here loose sleep over Rotella vs Amsoil, stick coils verses OEM, which oil filter to use, Nitrogen in the tires...
John - I have no clue what orientation is best, but if you discover anything that you think works best please report on it

NooB 08-14-2011 05:47 PM

I really don't think indexing applies to overhead cam motors. I think it's more of a pushrod motor thing, since the plug is usually angled off to the side of the head.

autoteach 08-14-2011 06:08 PM

Yeah, tell us which orientation is best...

And as for nitrogen, I fill mine with 78% nitrogen whenever I can.

Gregw 08-14-2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 311566)

I always smile when I see that.

johndoeafro 08-14-2011 09:30 PM

Teachers......
in the business of dashing the hopes and dreams of America's young men. [applicable emoticon denoting that I'm not stabbing too seriously at autoteach]

I've done more reading and have concluded that spark plug indexing falls somewhere between magic and obsessive nitpicking ninety percent of the time. Some engines absolutely require indexing whether it is for proper ignition or for piston clearance (i.e. Honda Element for the former and various small engines for the latter). I have been playing with it in a small fleet of chainsaws and have NOT been able to perceive any difference at this time. I still wonder though, over the long run, if there would be anything detectable within the exhaust or exhaust valves. I'm not sure of precisely how the PAIR system is controlled, but would I detect less ignition in my pipes, if indeed, indexing was effective?

VTRsurfer 08-14-2011 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 311566)
Yeah, tell us which orientation is best...

A big +1 on 78% nitrogen!:thumbsup:... although I think the optimal amount may be closer to 79%.

And just make sure those plugs are torqued properly.

nekkid 08-15-2011 06:28 AM

No one can tell...
Don't you know Orientations are inscrutable?

1971allchaos 10-29-2011 06:37 PM

[QUOTE=VTRsurfer;311589]A big +1 on 78% nitrogen!:thumbsup:... although I think the optimal amount may be closer to 79%.
I use 100% helium in my tires, it increases Miles Per Gallon on the 1000cc motorcycle- Which seems to have been in the "Waste of Time" category...

Waste of time???
People here loose sleep over Rotella vs Amsoil, stick coils verses OEM, which oil filter to use, Nitrogen in the tires...
John - I have no clue what orientation is best