SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Slave Cylinder Rebuild Troubles (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/slave-cylinder-rebuild-troubles-31861/)

dudeitscristhian 04-11-2014 09:03 AM

Slave Cylinder Rebuild Troubles

1 Attachment(s)
Recently I purchased the following parts to rebuilt my leaking clutch slave cylinder:
GSKT, SLAVE CYLINDER

Mfg. Part Number: 22862-MW7-650
Price: $3.91

CUP, SLAVE CYLINDER
Mfg. Part Number: 22865-MJ8-003
Price: $7.70

SPRING
Mfg. Part Number: 22864-MT7-016
Price: $4.31

OIL SEAL (8X18X5)
Mfg. Part Number: 91209-MB0-003
Price: $2.81

While replacing all the parts, I believe I messed up by not oiling up the cup that slides onto the back of the piston and wasn't too sure how it went back on since one side has an opening, while the other is solid. I put it on the piston with the open side facing the casing. Now I find myself still having issues with oil going into my casing. Can anyone show me exactly how the cup goes on and offer any tips on rebuilding this darn thing?

E.Marquez 04-11-2014 09:28 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by dudeitscristhian (Post 371138)
Recently I purchased the following parts to rebuilt my leaking clutch slave cylinder:
GSKT, SLAVE CYLINDER

Mfg. Part Number: 22862-MW7-650
Price: $3.91

CUP, SLAVE CYLINDER
Mfg. Part Number: 22865-MJ8-003
Price: $7.70

SPRING
Mfg. Part Number: 22864-MT7-016
Price: $4.31

OIL SEAL (8X18X5)
Mfg. Part Number: 91209-MB0-003
Price: $2.81

While replacing all the parts, I believe I messed up by not oiling up the cup that slides onto the back of the piston and wasn't too sure how it went back on since one side has an opening, while the other is solid. I put it on the piston with the open side facing the casing. Now I find myself still having issues with oil going into my casing. Can anyone show me exactly how the cup goes on and offer any tips on rebuilding this darn thing?

1st.. NO OIL..

Use clean brake fluid for lube.

2nd.. Cup, I assume you mean the piston seal #9 below (called a CUP, SLAVE CYLINDER but is the fluid seal.)
Between the line art and these pictures
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...1&d=1397234257
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...1&d=1397233539
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...1&d=1397234424
You should be able to see how the seal is installed on the piston.
The seal is tapered (cupped) the larger "cupped" edge goes away from the piston.. or INTO the slave cylinder body.

The oil seal installed in the engine side of the piston is installed in the https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...1&d=1397233697piston like this

dudeitscristhian 04-11-2014 09:35 AM

I meant to say brake fluid, not oil :eek: I appreciate the quick response and it was exactly what I was looking for :)

8541Hawk 04-11-2014 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To do it properly you should actually use hydraulic assembly fluid when rebuilding but brake fluid can work if you have no other option.

Attachment 22775

E.Marquez 04-11-2014 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 371142)
To do it properly you should actually use hydraulic assembly fluid when rebuilding but brake fluid can work if you have no other option.

http://i1366.photobucket.com/albums/...pse8bd66e6.jpg

:rolleyes: , ok yes that is a purpose made product that works very well... but as brake fluid works as suggested for this application, with NO down side, no issues, is cheaper and on hand anyway for the job. Saying the job can not be done "properly" without hydraulic assembly fluid is just nonsense.

There are applications where I use that stuff http://static.summitracing.com/globa...0-11087_xl.jpg

8541Hawk 04-11-2014 04:25 PM

No worries, I guess I should have said

That while I have used brake fluid in the past, it is generally not recommended by the manufacturer of the brake caliper or slave cylinder.

Instead they recommend using the correct assembly fluid.

Sorry you got offended by the use of the term "properly" instead of "manufacture recommended"

E.Marquez 04-11-2014 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 371159)
No worries, I guess I should have said

That while I have used brake fluid in the past, it is generally not recommended by the manufacturer of the brake caliper or slave cylinder.

Instead they recommend using the correct assembly fluid.

Sorry you got offended by the use of the term "properly" instead of "manufacture recommended"

Offended? No..
But An "experienced" member telling an another here that the job can not be done "properly" if the whiz bang fluid is not used.... fully well knowing that is not true....now that's just nonsense and you know it..
:D That was the point,, to which you also knew.

Simply acknowledging that what was posted works just fine for THIS application would have been nice, but not expected from you. :rolleyes:

Have a good day Mike, oh and welcome back ..

comedo 04-11-2014 07:38 PM

The OP sought some advice about rebuilding the clutch slave cylinder. 8541Hawk, who has made some very valuable contributions to this forum, referred to using brake cylinder lubricant to do the job properly and made it clear that brake fluid alone was an acceptable alternative. E.Marquez agreed with the use of brake cylinder lubricant but took issue with the use of the word "properly". The venom that E.Marquez directed against 8541Hawk for using the word "properly" and implying that he was deliberately spouting nonsense was uncalled for. I've learned a great deal from both of these gentlemen and I think that many forum members and guests would say the same. I hope that the charity, tolerance and respect which usually are present on this forum come to the fore again.

E.Marquez 04-11-2014 09:18 PM

:eek:

Again, still

NO OFFENCE was taken...
I simply differ in opinion that the job can not be done "properly" without specialized hydraulic assembly fluid :D

I contend, brake fluid for THIS application works just fine as an assembly fluid, and more importantly to the OP and others that might read this in the future..OIL should not be used.

Back to the topic point.

dudeitscristhian.. having looked at the posts following yours.. do you still think you assembled the slave cylinder wrong?

HawkRider98 04-12-2014 04:03 AM

This crap is why I visit so little any more

8541Hawk 04-12-2014 08:46 AM

IMHO this thread has gone from trying to pass on info to just being nasty.

Even though it has been denied, it truly appears the main issue is the use of the term "properly" as opposed to "manufacturer recommend"

Once again, while it does work, there is a reason the folks that make the calipers and slave cylinder say not to use brake fluid for assembly lube.

The caliper seal divides the DOT4 area with the outside atmosphere. Whatever you lube the seal with, it must be compatible with DOT4.

If you use DOT4 to lube the seal, some of it is then outside the seal in contact with atmosphere.

DOT4 will pull water out of the atmosphere and place it in contact with the metal parts that will then begin to corrode.

Brake parts assembly lube does NOT attract moisture from the atmosphere. In fact, it acts as a barrier to prevent moisture from contacting the metal parts of the caliper.

Brake parts assembly lube blends easily with DOT4 on the inside of the caliper.

You can also swap the term slave cylinder for caliper

You decide which is the correct lubricant for the application

Sorry to have offended or upset anyone.

jerryh 04-13-2014 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by HawkRider98 (Post 371173)
This crap is why I visit so little any more

Yup!

jerryh 04-13-2014 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by comedo (Post 371167)
The OP sought some advice about rebuilding the clutch slave cylinder. 8541Hawk, who has made some very valuable contributions to this forum, referred to using brake cylinder lubricant to do the job properly and made it clear that brake fluid alone was an acceptable alternative. E.Marquez agreed with the use of brake cylinder lubricant but took issue with the use of the word "properly". The venom that E.Marquez directed against 8541Hawk for using the word "properly" and implying that he was deliberately spouting nonsense was uncalled for. I've learned a great deal from both of these gentlemen and I think that many forum members and guests would say the same. I hope that the charity, tolerance and respect which usually are present on this forum come to the fore again.

jerryh 04-13-2014 12:59 AM

Agreed

E.Marquez 04-13-2014 04:20 AM

:horse: :D

Again still, no "Venom" nor upset,just but an opinion that differs from another s.

Mike, all is good. I meant what i said, welcome back.

More importantly.. to the OP....................... Did you rebuild or check the slave again and does it work

CruxGNZ 04-14-2014 12:07 AM

When I was a kid and just learning this stuff, I just thought brake fluid went in brake calipers and brake lines. Never knowing the full story. For those still learning like I was, the standard brake fluid you get at Advance Auto, Checker, etc. is hygroscopic, meaning it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. Neat, hey?

ZERO 02-19-2016 02:42 AM

Thanks for the parts list.
I need to rebuild mine as well.

ZERO 02-22-2016 02:43 AM

Not to get blasted here, but I've even used VASELINE on brake pistons and seals in past decades.....................