SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   side stand free play (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/side-stand-free-play-20015/)

jay956 08-29-2009 09:16 AM

side stand free play

Ive got some side to side freeplay in the side stand. when it on the rear stand you cane move it out and in by hand. and its kind of unnerving when you put it on the stand because itll rest at the inside most position then when you get all your weight off of it itll "jump" out about an inch. this doesnt seem normal to me. but wanted to check if it was just one of those things with the bike.

Little_Horse 08-29-2009 09:22 AM

its not normal, mine is stury enough I can pivot the bike on it, no slop at all.

VTRsurfer 08-29-2009 12:49 PM

What year is your bike? The pivot could be worn from years of use without lubrication. It can be replaced. Also check the tightness of the 2 bolts at the top of the pivot piece.

jay956 08-29-2009 01:29 PM

its a 98

VTRsurfer 08-29-2009 01:44 PM

I just checked mine after lubing the chain, and it has about 1/2" of spring loaded play at the bottom end. Mine's an '05, I keep it lubed and it feels solid, so I'm thinking its normal. I'm not worrying about it anyway.

My wife's '07 SV650S has about 1/4" play, and that thing is a bitch to operate while sitting on the bike, since it has a very strong spring.

comedo 08-31-2009 03:54 PM

I reduced the amount of play in the side stand on my VTR by putting in a shim. There was a slight amount of wear but nothing nasty. It was usually well lubricated by excess chain lube dripping down.

mboe794 08-31-2009 04:26 PM

I bet mine has close to an inch of play at the end. I always thought it was normal but now you guys are making me think otherwise. I guess I'll have to look into that a little bit.

Tweety 08-31-2009 04:48 PM

No noticable play sideways on mine... a bit of lateral play until the spring starts tugging but not much...

finepooch 08-31-2009 05:30 PM

it's normal

nuhawk 08-31-2009 05:48 PM

The unspoken danger is the damage to the switch in the stand. My stand is rock solid but the switch leaks and in wet (unexpected) weather it makes the bike cut in and out uncontrollably.

I haven't done anything about it mostly cause I'm lazy. I also like to pick my fight. If I got caught again I would just pull off and take the soaking. I was lucky to get the bitch back to the barn.

The bike is due for a major tear-down/cleaning/inspection in December. It's been two years and ain't we been having fun? Well, I did!

Sounds like it's time to bring out the high power cleaners and inspection mirrors. If you have that much free motion in the sidestand something is either loose or broke.

Cheap parts and a big bike depends on them.

skokievtr 08-31-2009 07:45 PM

Mine has/had side-to-side free play but it can't go anywhere because its thru-bolted (unless it fractures). I once took it off and hammered it closed but have not checked it since. It is lubed by the chain. The side stand switch can cut out and I slipped an bicycle inner tube over it & zip-tied it. Routing of the tank breather hose in the rain can cause fuel starvation. Last year coming back from the Indy Gp (missed this years) it was hell until I rerouted it under a gas station canopy in a downpour.