SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Should I remove the carbon? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/should-i-remove-carbon-10712/)

Texassuperhawk 03-06-2007 05:50 PM

Should I remove the carbon?

I have to replace the rear cylinder head on the SHawk, I was wondering if I should remove the carbon on the piston before I put it together or is this worth the effort, and how do I do it with out destroying anything
:fight:

Hawkrider 03-06-2007 06:14 PM

You could go either way. If you do it to one you should do it to the other I would think. It just makes sense. So, if the other head is not off then just trim up the edges lightly with a wire brush and call it a day.

nuhawk 03-06-2007 06:29 PM

I've never been a real fan of this. I'm just too paranoid about the shit getting down in the rings. I'll clean up the head while I got it off but I leave the deck of the piston alone. I use my shop vac with a concentrator nozzle to keep all the debris out of the cylinder as I'm removing the head beyond that I don't touch it. I've been told by other mechanics not to even rotate the engine while the heads are off. Just my .02

E.Marquez 03-06-2007 08:57 PM

unless your removing the cylinders and replacing rings and gaskets. your as likely to cause a problem as you are to fix it. If there is a lot of carbon, then you NEED to clean the pistons and most likely replace the leaking rings causing blow by. It's not something that works as a band aid though. If there is a lot of carbon, there is a reason, not fixing the cause, means it's not worth your time to address the symptom. Unless your ready to do rings, bore and plate the cylinders (NSC = Nickel Silicon Carbide Coatings the only way to go IMHO on a new bore) leave the pistons alone. When you say replace the head,, your just talking about the valves you bent yes?

Hawkrider 03-07-2007 03:12 PM

If it's a heavy buildup as TX says, then I agree. You need to fix the cause, not the effect. There's an old mechanic's trick that I've used in the past with good results. It involves using a spray bottle of water and misting the water into the carb openings as you're running the bike. You essentially steam clean your combustion chamber. I did it with my old 78 T-bird and an 82 Camaro I had with no ill effects. I've not tried this with a bike though.

With bikes I find that flogging the shit out of them at the track and using race gas works well too. :mrgreen:

Zedicus 03-08-2007 06:52 AM

little bit of diesel in the gas will clean out an engine. like .25 gallons in about 5 gallons of gas, i do everything of mine like that a couple times a year. carbed or fuel injected. again this does not fix the reason for having excess carbon, but it does help clean up the enside of an engine.

tommygdbr 03-10-2007 10:06 AM

hummmm, Zed. I have also heard of adding nail polish remover to my fuel to give me 100mpg. ---with the probability of , boom!
how long has the diesel additive been working for you?