SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   SHOCKing discussion! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/shocking-discussion-13249/)

Slim 11-22-2007 05:09 PM

SHOCKing discussion!

AH! Now that I have your attention ..... if you're suspension literate ..... right this way ..... :)

So in the past dozen years of my "mechanical life" I have come to know that shocks with a remote compression canister posess greater "anti-foaming" possibility and "heat soak" opportunity. What about the shock of our beloved Firestorm? Uhhh, I mean Superhawk? :p

Oh, allow me to interrupt with good news that I have finally replaced the stock shock on my CBR600F2 with one from
a CBR600F3 (which has this really cool remote compression canister on it!). There's snow outside, so no ride yet ..... :(

So, yeah, now if you're thinking "this guy is nuts if he's thinking of what I think he's think of" then ..... what'd'ya think? :confused:

I can procure another stock Superhawk shock (because I sure ain't using my stocker ..... y'know, just in case) and another F3
shock ..... or an F4/i or a 1000RR. Whatever! Then I can disassemble both, drill and tap the stocker, fit the remote on,
re-valve and then have it charged back up again.

Right?

RIGHT?!?!?!??!??!??!

Discuss ..... please.

PATIA. :)

(oh, btw, I bought icebud's Wilbers, so I don't NEED to do this experiment ..... but I WANT to and for other reasons as well)

Scumbag 11-22-2007 05:31 PM

It may be the turkey and beer but you have my attention...

drew_c14 11-22-2007 06:08 PM

Probably wouldn't be terribly hard. But by the time you buy a remote canister, lines, fittings, and re-gut the stock valves then you might as well have just bought a new one.

superbling 11-22-2007 07:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
CBR series shocks are extremely short compared to the VTR body which, unfortunately, is one of the longest around. More bad news, the cbr's also have a much lighter spring.

Experimenting with used shocks, I tried an R1, R6, ducati 916, fox CBR900 unit with heavier spring, penske cbr954 with heavier spring, and a ohlins vtr unit in need of a rebuild.

Even worn out, the ohlins was, hands down, the best. Pony up and get the real deal or at least get anything else sprung/valved for the VTR.

Here's a pic of superbling with the R1/aftermarket spring. It sure LOOKED great:

Attachment 31254

and with the penske:

Attachment 31255

Slim 11-22-2007 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by superbling (Post 137458)
CBR series shocks are extremely short compared to the VTR body which, unfortunately, is one of the longest around. More bad news, the cbr's also have a much lighter spring.

Experimenting with used shocks, I tried an R1, R6, ducati 916, fox CBR900 unit with heavier spring, penske cbr954 with heavier spring, and a ohlins vtr unit in need of a rebuild.

Even worn out, the ohlins was, hands down, the best. Pony up and get the real deal or at least get anything else sprung/valved for the VTR.

Here's a pic of superbling with the R1/aftermarket spring. It sure LOOKED great:

and with the penske:

Not sure i'm following you. I'm not talking about just swapping in an entire shock, just the remote part. I'm not sure what the overall shock length would have to do with it (unless you're talking about potential issues with the change in oil volumes and valving?).

I don't care about looks. (but your's sure is worth looking at - but you already know that ;) )

Slim 11-22-2007 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by drew_c14 (Post 137452)
Probably wouldn't be terribly hard. But by the time you buy a remote canister, lines, fittings, and re-gut the stock valves then you might as well have just bought a new one.

I don't see it. It would not cost me $600, 700 or 800 to do this swap. The shocks can be bought on E-Bay for $100 for the pair. If a complete shock rebuild can be done at a shock shop for $75 (which i'm sure is nothing more than replacing the fluid and re-charging nitrogen) then I don't see the money side of it. I can drill and tap the hole myself.

Maybe you know different? My ears are open. :)

Yardstick 11-22-2007 09:10 PM

I can't imagine just the remote reservoir making much difference on the road unless you're riding the bike over some really rough roads or pushing it extremely hard for extended periods of time. Revalving the stock shock would probably suit most people's needs.

As an experiment for the heck of it... I'd say it's probably do-able. I'm not sure of the configuration of the shock you're looking at adapting the reservoir from, but you'd probably have an easier time with one where the remote reservoir is connected by a hydraulic hose rather than somehow directly attached to the shock body.

Hawkrider 11-22-2007 09:42 PM

Adding a remote res isn't going to make the stocker any better. The valving is still way off for anything remotely resembling sport riding. Around town its fine but pick up the pace and it quickly shows its flaws - wrong spring, insufficient rebound, too much HSC, and damping that changes too much with shock temperature.

Get the real deal. I second what 'Bling states above.