SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Shifting up at Wide Open Throttle (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/shifting-up-wide-open-throttle-23407/)

1971allchaos 08-06-2010 08:46 AM

Shifting up at Wide Open Throttle

Got some info off the forum, and Just doesn't make any logic?
Shifting up from first to second gear -requires the pulling the clutch lever, then second gear and on up the cogs is just bumping up the lever- which my 2001 does fine- UNTIL - you pull off in first gear, (using the clutch) shift to second gear (due to going thru the Neutral cog) in second gear now- Then the desire to "PIN Her ears back" - Wide Open Throttle and shift up (Without using the clutch) will not shift up/ as hard as i can pry with my foot under the lever, only if you let off the throttle just a little -then it will jump into gear (hard).
Engine has never been opened, and only recieves the best oil(Motul e-100)
It will shift down for sixth to second gear without effort , at wide open or normal
Any opinions, suggestion, or (should i be) concerns ???

killer5280 08-06-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos (Post 276932)
Got some info off the forum, and Just doesn't make any logic?
Shifting up from first to second gear -requires the pulling the clutch lever, then second gear and on up the cogs is just bumping up the lever- which my 2001 does fine- UNTIL - you pull off in first gear, (using the clutch) shift to second gear (due to going thru the Neutral cog) in second gear now- Then the desire to "PIN Her ears back" - Wide Open Throttle and shift up (Without using the clutch) will not shift up/ as hard as i can pry with my foot under the lever, only if you let off the throttle just a little -then it will jump into gear (hard).
Engine has never been opened, and only recieves the best oil(Motul e-100)
It will shift down for sixth to second gear without effort , at wide open or normal
Any opinions, suggestion, or (should i be) concerns ???

Yes. Don't try to shift at wide open throttle.

uchi 08-06-2010 09:10 AM

Or ire the clutch. Atleast pull it in a little. Shifting wot without the clutch will break things

thetophatflash 08-06-2010 09:10 AM

dogs on the interlocking gears are undercut, hence under load they are tough to get apart. +1 to Killer's suggestion!

1971allchaos 08-06-2010 09:13 AM

The concern is - I am the second owner of the bike. Bought with 2800 miles on the clicker. 136XX on it now. I can shift up thru the (2nd -6th) on 1998 S-Hawk, and either 2003 or 2006 RC-51s -No problems(well, hanging on)
So - Not a concern- to start taking things apart??

mboe794 08-06-2010 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 276934)
Yes. Don't try to shift at wide open throttle.

Or put a spark interrupter (quick shifter) on her.

Anyone know if one can be installed on a SuperHawk? I've been slightly curious since my bike has seen mainly track miles in the last year.

uchi 08-06-2010 09:18 AM

Don't fix it till it breaks :-)

killer5280 08-06-2010 09:20 AM

I have never tried shifting at absolute wide open throttle without using the clutch. I doubt it can be done, but I don't know, because it's not something I would even think of doing. Trannies are not designed to be shifted under load. Attempting to do so is abuse and is likely to cause damage.

1971allchaos 08-06-2010 09:25 AM

The Bike has Been flawless ! ! those miles were put on her in the first year of ownership.. Changed the oil / and price the next set of tire(four set metzeler m3)
the bike sat in a garage in NJ from 2001 until I bought it in Sept. 09.
thanks KIller5280 i will be concerned about the 98 S-hawk

Thank you for the responding info.....

trinc 08-06-2010 11:12 AM

you can't shift under load... blip the throttle closed & it should shift fine.

tim

8541Hawk 08-06-2010 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by trinc (Post 276958)
you can't shift under load... blip the throttle closed & it should shift fine.

tim

:iagree:

Tweety 08-06-2010 11:21 AM

The way you are supposed to do clutchless shifting is just what you describe yourself... Load the pedal, quick fingertwitch on the throttle and the next gear goes in... Your not supposed to be able to shift under load... If you can that gearbox that is capable of doing that is getting worn... In PM before your description didn't specify that, so my response wasn't as specific...

1971allchaos 08-06-2010 01:43 PM

Thank you all for the information, and opinions, I hit Tweety with this question.. Tweety gave educated information, That would have put this question to rest. If us "Newbie" asked a more logical questions... Going for a ride....

98VTRrider 08-07-2010 12:21 PM

It doesn't seem worth the risk and abuse to be shifting WOT without the clutch, unless it's a race with some prize money involved. Does it really improve acceleration any significant amount? That's something I wouldn't even want to try on my bike, maybe if I'm on somebody's bike that I don't like :evillaugh:

ima98chickenhawk 08-07-2010 02:45 PM

Your joking right?

8541Hawk 08-07-2010 03:37 PM

I do it all the time with no ill effects what so ever..... ;)

FinalBoss 08-07-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider (Post 277032)
It doesn't seem worth the risk and abuse to be shifting WOT without the clutch, unless it's a race with some prize money involved. Does it really improve acceleration any significant amount? That's something I wouldn't even want to try on my bike, maybe if I'm on somebody's bike that I don't like :evillaugh:

You don't have to use the clutch to shift besides 1st to 2nd, not only because you're going through neutral but also because the 1st to 2nd shift drops the rpms quite a bit, it will be extremely jerky. Once in 2nd you can upshift all the way up to 6th without a clutch, just put pressure on the shifter and roll off the throttle, done right it will be an extremely smooth shift with less wear than using the clutch. You can also downshift without the clutch just as smoothly (takes more practice to get it down), but I prefer to revmatch, sounds cooler :)

Never had a problem with any of my gearboxes or clutches.

mboe794 08-07-2010 06:15 PM

So nobody has any insight on a quick shifter for the hawk? I'm only curious at this point. And a little jealous of some of the guys at the track with bikes capable of shifting in the blink of an eye.

I've done a small amount of research and it seems that they are available for most F.I. bikes as an accesory with a Power Commander (not sure yet whether they work by cutting fuel or spark). But my dad says ignition interruptor type shift kits have been around for many years. I would think that there is something available. Maybe some type of universal kit that could be made to work with a little modification?

Any input would be appreciated.

1971allchaos 08-07-2010 06:19 PM

As stated eariler in quote #5- It has been done on a well used 1998 S-hawk 46,xxx miles (i boughtfrom it's abuser), it is in the project room.. Yet the 2003, or the 2006 RC-51s will shift up at full throttle (WOT).. HENCE, the question -past thru the outer walls of my brain.. Just wanted to make sure- (before i let somebody on my bike -That I didn't like ! ! ha ha

8541Hawk 08-07-2010 06:24 PM

http://www.mpsracing.com/products/mps/quickshift.asp

http://www.translogicuk.com/products.htm

http://www.hmquickshifter.com/

http://www.racegadgets.com/

and I'm sure there are quite a few more......;)

mboe794 08-07-2010 06:28 PM

Awesome, thanks!! :thumbsup:

1971allchaos 08-07-2010 06:45 PM

Thanks 8541, Ran one of the Yoshi-EMS with the shifter assist. on an 03CBR 600rr... Yet ! as specified - it just not a good way to flog my hawk.....

8541Hawk 08-07-2010 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos (Post 277063)
Thanks 8541, Ran one of the Yoshi-EMS with the shifter assist. on an 03CBR 600rr... Yet ! as specified - it just not a good way to flog my hawk.....

No worries. There is no need to get one for a SH though. This bike really easy and smooth to do clutch-less upshifts with no need for a quickshifter.

As for hurting the transmission, well I have 80K on my bike and do mostly clutch-less upshifts between 2nd and 6th. I do use the clutch on down shifts and also 1st & 2nd but that is mostly because I tend to short shift out of first so I would use a bit of clutch there no matter what. The point is my trans still works as good as new with no issues. ;)

Doing proper clutch-less by loading the shift lever and bliping the throttle does no danage at all. That is as long as you are the throttle 90%-100% .
If you are just loafing along and try it, it will not work well. On the other hand if you are spinning 7.5K rpms or more and on the throttle, you will get smother and cleaner gear changes by upshifthing with out it, IMHO.