SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Serious brake issues (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/serious-brake-issues-8131/)

Loco 02-12-2006 11:10 PM

Serious brake issues

Ok, I like to do stoppies. That should be made clear. But, now I am scared as hell to try it on my latest superhawk and here's why:

I was running the stock brake lines, and I just figured there is too much wobble if you brake really hard on a stock setup, so I decided to go with SS lines. Installed them no problem, and now I go out to do some hard braking and the front end not only chatters, but at times it feels like I am running on a flat tire (as in the wheel just skids along the road). I almost high-sided trying to force a stoppie, and now I want to know what the hell is going on. I have a track day tomorrow at Cresson, and I sure as shit want to know what's wrong with this front end before I go race! Here's the bike specs:

* Tire pressure is fine
* Freshly bled brake system with DOT4 using traditional bleed method.
* Decently worn front tire (Metzeler with half-tread)
* Pads are original with ~14k miles (look worn but hard to tell exactly)
* Preload is set to one bar from full H.
* SS brake lines, with stock calipers and MC
* Bike is 1998
* Fork setup is stock and rotors are original.

Again.. under hard braking the bike dives like a jackhammer, and the front wheel twists sometimes under the induced skid. I need answers ASAP!!!

someonehappy 02-12-2006 11:36 PM

Maybe you should change your brake pad, and you feel worse because of the changing to SS lines and they increse the brake power and the firm level feel.

Just guess, I'm not pro and sorry for my poor english.

zakthor 02-12-2006 11:39 PM

Re: Serious brake issues

The stock springs are good for someone weighing 145#. I weigh 200 (now 190) without gear and my bike would dive horribly with the stock springs. The front tire would skip on the pavement after the fork reached the end of its travel and stopped absorbing bumps. I switched to racetach 0.9kg/mm springs and braking is much, much improved.

What is your weight?

Loco 02-13-2006 03:07 AM

Well. I only weigh 145-150 lb. I haven't had this problem on other superhawks. I feel like something isn't working the way is should. Either the pads aren't gripping right, the brake lines aren't solid, or something major is off on the front end. I hope it's just the brake system, because pads are cheap!

jschmidt 02-13-2006 12:37 PM

Hard lines reduce the ability to modulate the brakes. They basically shorten the range.

vtrstunta 02-16-2006 06:23 PM

Re: Serious brake issues

hey loco..dont know if this will help, but i run 10 weight fork fluid with stock springs, pretty high preload, ebc full-floating rotors, ferodo platinum pads, ss lines with stock calipers and master, and keep front tire pressure at about 35-36 (oh, and the front tire is a pilot power). the only time i ever lock up the front tire is when either the ground is extremely cold, or when my front tire is cold. i have almost dropped it a few times when that happens, but -knock on wood- not yet (nor have i looped it, over the front, although came pretty close). i dont think the SS lines would have anything to do with it, but im no bike mech. the only thing i suggest, and what im gonna have to upgrade to soon is a sterring dampner...turn it all the way up; then even when the front tire does lock, it wont be going straight for the ground.

Loco 02-16-2006 07:49 PM

It was poor tire pressures. When I checked it at warm temps, it was 20psi. This means when it was cold, and I tried to test it, it was probably at 15psi. That combined with a cold tire, cold roads, and an overall shitty front tire. You get the picture.

superhawk22 02-16-2006 07:53 PM

:lol: Yeah that could do it. Funny how you should check the simplest things first.