SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Screwy turn signal (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/screwy-turn-signal-29161/)

Bandit400man 09-11-2012 09:53 AM

Screwy turn signal

So I got an unusual problem.

Its my right side turn signal. The running light does not stay on, only on the left side (first problem). And when I turn the signal on, to make a right turn, it comes on, but the less bright, running light filament comes on , not the bright one (second problem).
So WTF?:confused:

Where should I start? I printed out the EL schematic from the manual and traced the lines but it just brings me back to the switch.
But why? How?

Could this be a product of my aux outlet somehow? Anyone add an auxiliary outlet?

I didn't actually rip into a wire to splice it in, I just shoved the two leads into a constant hot plug and put some tape on it. And the signal at the time, was fine...

7moore7 09-11-2012 09:57 AM

You may have just switched the signal and constant running wire. Keep the ground wire and swap the other two

Bandit400man 09-11-2012 10:20 AM

That's all it should take? You'd think they would be color coded...then again I've admited to dumber things Lol thanks 7man I'll do that when I get home.

7moore7 09-11-2012 10:26 AM

It sounds to me like that is what is happening. I'd bet that your signal light on your dash and the one on your bike are on at opposite times when the signal is activated too (rather than on at the same time like should be happening on the left side of your bike).

But, it's electricity, so who really knows what's going on, haha!

Bandit400man 09-11-2012 12:21 PM

Word man an they call me an electrical designer at work! Hahaha

I'll see if it does that too...hadn't noticed cause you really can't while your riding lol

Bandit400man 09-11-2012 07:15 PM

Didn't work man...

When I switch around the leads to match to the other side, I got the running lights back on (and the correct filament), but when I turned on the blinker, I wouldn't blink. So I solved one problem, but still have another. But at least the right filament is constant on, like the other side. And when the dash blinks, its the same time/rate as the rear one, which works normal.

So now what? Bad relay? I just got it at the beginning of the summer and its a solid state one, plug and play.
I guess I can keep playing around with them...on the right side coming from the bike is light blue solid, light blue w/white stripe, and green. Signal wires are black solid, black w/white stripe, and red. both sides (signal itself) are the same, and the left side coming from bike is too, but orange instead of light blue...I hate electricity. Damn Tom Edison LOL

merckid 09-11-2012 07:46 PM

if you have all the wire correctly connected as you said then the next question i would ask is the right rear blinker working? if so i would suspect a bad bulb. try switching the left front and right front bulbs and see if the problem follows the bulb. If the left side is blinking then the blinker relay should be ok. both side run off the same relay i believe.

Bandit400man 09-12-2012 04:12 AM

Yeah all sides run off the same relay. And 3 of four corners are good, one still screwy. And there are new bulbs in there now...that was the first thing I did (new signal bulbs) cause I thought a bulb was out.

But I can try that tonight. Thanks! Anyone else got any ideas or suggestions?

Wicky 09-12-2012 04:22 AM

Clean all the connectors, esp where the dodgy bulb pushes against.

Bandit400man 09-12-2012 06:01 AM

Word Wicky, I can do that today too...I'll prolly take apart the whole switch housing an clean an lube it too.

I'll post back tonight with the results.

7moore7 09-12-2012 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 341721)
Clean all the connectors, esp where the dodgy bulb pushes against.

+1 it sounds like the relays are working correctly and wires are in the right spot, just not getting a solid connection. Check the ground as well.

Bandit400man 09-12-2012 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Found the problem: cheapy flush mount signals.

I first tested each lead for continuity. When that checked out, I watched as I twisted the bulb into place...that's when I noticed that the little contact patch thing would twist with it at the last moment. When fully locked, it would actually break contact at one lead. So if I left it half cocked per se, and it worked. So I then just locked it into place with some contact cement. Problem solved! (until I have to change bulbs LOL)

A pic of the 'perfect' amount of twist. See how its not fully seated? Works great now:

Attachment 24245

Bandit400man 09-12-2012 07:09 PM

Oh BTW, faulty 'grounds' are just 'usually' an easy scapegoat...I've always found its something mechanical in the end.

7moore7 09-12-2012 07:27 PM

Good find!

And I don't usually have problems with grounds either. But it would suck to chase a bunch of ghost mechanical problems when it was really just an easy scapegoat. ;)