SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Runs outa fuel (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/runs-outa-fuel-35284/)

Rich Daniels 02-25-2019 06:33 PM

Runs outa fuel

Hello Everyone.

One of my bikes is a Superhawk. This is the bike I ride every Sunday but not every day. She has a bit over 12 K on the clock and as I also race vintage bike she's well maintained. Even to the point that she gets premium fuel and if she is going to sit get the fuel drained.

Out of the blue last Sunday she acted as if running out of fuel. Put in a couple of gals. and went for a ride; same problem, fuel starvation. I know I can just start troubleshooting the issue but I hope you all have a good place to start looking. The motorbike has not been apart nor has it had any changes. There is no sign of rust in the tank and no leaks is there an area where the S/H's have fuel problems ?

Don't post on the site often but I sure would be grateful for any advice.

Rich

Wicky 02-26-2019 12:06 AM

Check the diaphragm for holes/splits in the vacuum fuel petcock.

kenmoore 02-26-2019 11:30 AM

Second that,

Had the same problem, torn diaphragm in fuel tap, started out as a slight hesitation under hard revs at high speed.

put a genuine Honda one in and all is well again.

Cadbury64 02-26-2019 11:38 AM

Just to expand on Wicky's post; the VTR has a vacuum activated fuel valve, a vacuum line connected to the rear intake connects to the fuel petcock under the rear of the tank, and the vacuum of the running motor opens the valve. Inside the petcock is a rubber diaphragm and if that gets a hole in it, the fuel valve can stop working and fuel no longer flows. The other possible failure mode would be the vacuum hose either becoming dislodged or getting a hole/crack in it. There is a fuel strainer in the fitting where the petcock screws onto the tank, and also a manual shut-off valve at the same point (square peg pointing forwards, rotate 180 degrees to close). You can safely remove the fuel tank (after disconnecting the two fuel hoses, filler neck overflow, air vent and vacuum lines plus the low fuel sender wire) and flip it on its back without fuel leaking out of the cap.

Rich Daniels 02-26-2019 12:16 PM

BIG THANK YOU !

I knew you guys would come through. The Superhawk Forum has always been a great place for information with little B/S. I really do thank you guys for straight to the point help.

I don't often make posts because of the racing and the time that takes and for this I apologize. Because of this your help is doublie appreciated .

Rich

Rich Daniels 02-26-2019 12:27 PM

Cad64 !

Almost didn't notice your location.

We just got home from the Phillips Island Classic. First time in years I've been to the south of the planet.
Part of the reason that time is of such import is that we're putting together two GS1000's for next years meeting. The NZ folks are going to try and win next years team challenge. If you come over to the meeting drop by the Team USA garage and look for the Sportcraft people (The Purple Gang) and we'll buy ya a pint !

Again thanks to all three of you for getting me in the right direction.

Cheers
Rich

NHSH 02-26-2019 01:31 PM

Good on you mates, from UK, AU and NZ, seems like more action than the US team on this forum ;-)

Rich Daniels 02-26-2019 03:51 PM

No UK

Was a good meeting ! The UK team choose to not attend the meeting; not quite sure the reason. Many UK regulars became temporary citizens of OZ or NZ. All the same hope the UK is back in 2020.

Cheers