SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   runs horrible over 5000 rpm (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/runs-horrible-over-5000-rpm-33139/)

evines 04-26-2015 04:44 AM

runs horrible over 5000 rpm

My bike was in storage for over 2 years and I took it to the local dealer to get it running again (the carbs were gummed up amoung possible other things preventing it from firing up). Now it runs like crap above 5000 rpm.

After a month of the dealer having the bike, I got it back yesterday. They said one carb was bad and put a new one on it. They cleaned it all up and they said they put the jetting back to the way it was before (when the bike was running well).

It runs well up to 5000 rpm, but then it will barely pull beyond that. In second gear, it takes forever to go from 6000 rpm up to about 8000 and it doesn't even want to go to redline. They think the jetting needs dialed in, but I'm not sure that that's all there is to it.

Other changes they made were they put a new TPS on it since the other broke off somehow, so it's probably not set near 500 anymore. But that should cause the problem I'm having.

Any ideas?

scottiemann 04-26-2015 05:09 AM

bad carb?????? I dont understand that one, unless the dropped the carbs and cracked one when they snapped off the TPS.

check all vacuum lines, especially the one going to the side of the petcock. chech all electrical connections that may or may not have been removed when they worked on it. check your plugs and make sure plug wires or coils(if your running stick coils) are seated properly.

if all that checks out your going to have to pull the carbs and verify that they did indead put jetting exactly the way it was especially the mixture screws and needles etc...

8541Hawk 04-26-2015 09:08 AM

Sounds like one of the diaphragms is not seated correctly by the problems you describe.

Unless they also messed with the CCTs, if so your timing might be out 180 degrees.

1971allchaos 05-01-2015 07:04 PM

Have you washed the bike (yearly washing) Sprayed water near /or in the area of the spark plugs /coil packs?

Other than that question... I would have to "Con-Cur"... with 8541hawk..
Dealership Techs, are usually in a hurry to make time(money).. and not always particular (because of their greed).

Hangfly 05-01-2015 07:45 PM

Maybe not just greed. I think it really takes time to set up the fuel delivery right on these bikes or any carbed bike. Especially if you are not familiar with the specific model. A normal shop is probably expected to hurry up and "knock these out" to keep the volumne going.
For example, the mechanic was probably in a hurry and broke the TPS. Luckily/hopefully, he didn't break the choke fittings.
I have never had a shop care as much for my engine as I do.
On the other hand, I don't underestimate the benefits of a smart, experienced mechanic either.

Hangfly 05-01-2015 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by scottiemann (Post 385356)
bad carb?????? I dont understand that one, unless the dropped the carbs and cracked one when they snapped off the TPS.

check all vacuum lines, especially the one going to the side of the petcock. chech all electrical connections that may or may not have been removed when they worked on it. check your plugs and make sure plug wires or coils(if your running stick coils) are seated properly.

if all that checks out your going to have to pull the carbs and verify that they did indead put jetting exactly the way it was especially the mixture screws and needles etc...

Aha! maybe he is a victim?! of VPwhatever.....