SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Running on 1 cylinder (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/running-1-cylinder-6815/)

Philipian Ricer 03-30-2005 07:08 AM

Running on 1 cylinder

alright, so im riding around yesterday, and all of a sudden my bike starts to run on one cylinder. This problem has happened before because of some sort of relief tube kinked in the gas tank, so i open up the lid to let out the pressure(which usually fixed the problem), but it still ran on one cylinder. Only when i gave it full throttle did it start to run on two again. Does anybody know what this might be? When i did the tps mod, i noticed my air filter was really nasty, could something like this maybe cause my bike to run rich and foul a plug? thanks

faz 03-30-2005 09:31 AM

how do you know it was running on one cylinder?? how did opening the lid help get it from one cylinder to two??

Philipian Ricer 03-30-2005 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by faz";p=&quot (Post 3783)
how do you know it was running on one cylinder?? how did opening the lid help get it from one cylinder to two??

haha, you know when its running on one cylinder. It starts to sound like a four wheeler and you have no power. i think some sort of relief tube for the gas tank is kinked so after riding for a while, a vaccum is created in the tank, not allowing fuel to get into the carbs(well, one goes out first, than if i don't relieve it the second cylinder goes out). So before, i would just open my gas lid and could hear the pressure being relieved. But thats the problem this time. Cause that didn't fix it.

Philipian Ricer 03-31-2005 12:59 PM

Re: Running on 1 cylinder

alright, so i changed the air fliter, which was really dirty, and the spark plugs, which seemed fine. And its still running on one cylinder!!!! Damnit, this is freakin frustrating as hell! Does anybody have an idea why my bike is doing this??? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks

faz 03-31-2005 02:02 PM

Have you eliminated possible electrical issues?? do you know that the missing cylinder is getting spark?

Philipian Ricer 03-31-2005 03:04 PM

alright, get this. So i figure out its the back cylinder not running right, so i get down the the carbs and the little clip on the needle for the aftermarket jet kits fell off or broke off some how. WTF! Has anybody ever heard of this happening before? The guy i bought the bike from jetted it, so maybe he screwed up somewhere along the line, but ive ridin it over 7000 miles since i bought it. Weird

Philipian Ricer 03-31-2005 03:18 PM

haha, yeah, deffinetly broke. Does anybody know where i could get another one of those clips?

superbling 03-31-2005 05:58 PM

When I was experimenting with needle height with my factory jet kit needles, I had one pop (fly) off during one of the installations so I can see that happening.

I'm not advising to do this but I'd personally probably try to make one with a dremel and a very, very small washer until I could get a real one somewhere.

divingindaytona 04-01-2005 09:28 AM

Check your petcock hoses. Sounds like one of the tubes is kinked/plugged.

I have seen this happen to other motorcycles and its normaly related to the petcock.

In the superhawk the petcock is fead by vacuum lines. A plugged vent line will produce this same symptom.

Also you may want to check your plug and see that 1 the coil is working and 2 the plug is firing.