SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   RTH - Factory Pro Shift Star kit install help req'd (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rth-factory-pro-shift-star-kit-install-help-reqd-33954/)

Twitchy 05-21-2016 04:48 AM

RTH - Factory Pro Shift Star kit install help req'd

Guys in the Superhawk/Firestorm knowledge universe, installed my FP Shift kit, and it says in the FP instructions to keep the clutch transmission from turning, and rotate the rear wheel and go up and down through the gears to check operation. So with the rear wheel stationary, I click the shifter down into 1st, done. Squat down on the left side of the bike, spin the rear wheel as fast as possible, and click into 2nd, then 3rd etc etc, and then back down again.

My problem is the shift sequence gets stuck between gears. On one check through it will happen at the 5th to 6th change, get it back to 1st, then it might happen between 2nd to 3rd, get it back to 1st, then it might happen 4th to 5th. Seems random wher it gets stuck, but it gets stuck either on the peak of the star, or very close to it. When it gets stuck, I cannot get the star to move in either direction. Its like the shifter fork hits something immovable. The only way I can got it to move back down the ramp of the peak is to jiggle the shifter fork at the star end, and the star will click down into gear. Occasionally it happens going down the gears, but quite regularly going up the gears. The star is located correctly on the shaft and bolt tightened accordingly. I can use my finger with a fair bit of pressure to lift the detent arm, so I know that is not binding anywhere. What have I missed???

Also, maybe unrelated, maybe related. I happened to try the clutch lever action while the clutch is removed and it is rock hard. I cannot squeeze the lever in. Well, maybe I could but don't want to damage anything. Gave it a fairly good tug and no movement whatsoever. Any ideas on that one??

TIA.
(Obviously in the correct end of the world our sleeping time is your play time so excuse me not responding immediately, I will check for responses in the morning - hoping to get this thing done by Sunday night!)

Twitchy 05-22-2016 03:25 AM

Ok, update. I received a response from Marc at FP and he suggested turning the clutch shaft to check gear selection, rather than spinning the rear wheel. A couple of the shift require me to hold the shifter up for longer than usual to get the engagement, rather than click up and let go. As I drained the oil prior to starting the job, I expect (HOPE!) that with a gutfull of fresh oil and the engine idling, everything will be ok.

Wolverine 05-22-2016 06:07 AM

Sorry Twitchy, I have no experience w/ with this issue. Thanks for sharing though.

E.Marquez 05-22-2016 08:40 AM

So two things...
In order to shift a sequential transmission using engagement dog on the gear, the transmission needs to be in motion in most cases, and for changing more the one gear the transmission has to move between shifts at least.

So that's the idea behind turning the rear wheel.

If the rear wheel is in constant motion (no need for it to be turning fast, just continually ) and you can not get clean shifts..Id GUESS you may have another issue.

Assuming the case is back together, id say fill it with oil and go ride. Removing the case cover to inspect the parts is only going to cost you a gasket before you know if there is a problem.

Having the star not installed "clocked" correctly has been in issue.
It will sit crooked on the drum if you do that.

Originally Posted by Twitchy (Post 396316)
Guys in the Superhawk/Firestorm knowledge universe, installed my FP Shift kit, and it says in the FP instructions to keep the clutch transmission from turning, and rotate the rear wheel and go up and down through the gears to check operation. So with the rear wheel stationary, I click the shifter down into 1st, done. Squat down on the left side of the bike, spin the rear wheel as fast as possible, and click into 2nd, then 3rd etc etc, and then back down again.

My problem is the shift sequence gets stuck between gears. On one check through it will happen at the 5th to 6th change, get it back to 1st, then it might happen between 2nd to 3rd, get it back to 1st, then it might happen 4th to 5th. Seems random wher it gets stuck, but it gets stuck either on the peak of the star, or very close to it. When it gets stuck, I cannot get the star to move in either direction. Its like the shifter fork hits something immovable. The only way I can got it to move back down the ramp of the peak is to jiggle the shifter fork at the star end, and the star will click down into gear. Occasionally it happens going down the gears, but quite regularly going up the gears. The star is located correctly on the shaft and bolt tightened accordingly. I can use my finger with a fair bit of pressure to lift the detent arm, so I know that is not binding anywhere. What have I missed???

Also, maybe unrelated, maybe related. I happened to try the clutch lever action while the clutch is removed and it is rock hard. I cannot squeeze the lever in. Well, maybe I could but don't want to damage anything. Gave it a fairly good tug and no movement whatsoever. Any ideas on that one??

TIA.
(Obviously in the correct end of the world our sleeping time is your play time so excuse me not responding immediately, I will check for responses in the morning - hoping to get this thing done by Sunday night!)

Cadbury64 05-25-2016 02:00 PM

I agree with Eric; so long as the shift star is correctly located on the shift drum, then the installation is correct. When I installed a kit on my VFR800, I'm pretty sure there is a locating dowel that ensures these two items are locked in the correct arrangement, and if not then as Eric says the shift star won't be sitting straight. The test is when the detente wheel sits in the neutral position (where the star has a cut down point) the transmission will also be in neutral.

Gear shifts in a constant mesh gearbox require dogs on the side of one gear to slip sideways into slots on the back of the adjacent gear. These don't always align when the gearbox is not rotating so sometimes you can swap gears, other times you can't shift until the parts are rotated slightly.

ZERO 06-14-2016 09:09 AM

Sorry. I haven't been here in a while.
I didn't see how it couldn't have been installed correctly (with the dowel pin and all)And I just closed my engine back up and rode it right away. And it did and still does shift like a much nicer bike now.