SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   roughing up new tires with sandpaper (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/roughing-up-new-tires-sandpaper-8045/)

Les 01-27-2006 02:49 PM

roughing up new tires with sandpaper

I'm getting ready to put some new tires on the bike. I'm thinking about roughing up the sides with some sandpaper to help with the new tire breakin issue. What'd ya think?

thetophatflash 01-27-2006 04:17 PM

Re: roughing up new tires with sandpaper

I've done it and it worked. It allows you to scrub off the release agent all the way to the edges without leaning way the f*** over on slippery edges.

woodman 01-27-2006 04:33 PM

Just ride it...there is nothing to be afraid of.

yellowvtwin 01-28-2006 02:00 AM

sandpaper is a waste of time you need the heat in the tyres to scrub them in properly ,just take ya time dont hook in on the first corner and you will be sweet, wont take long to hit the edge's just take the long (fun) way home :twisted:

JamieDaugherty 01-28-2006 06:51 AM

Yellowvtwin is right, don't bother with the sandpaper. Having a rough surface is not going to change anything, you need to put heat into the tires to help 1) finish the curing process and 2) extract the mold release agents from the rubber. I just push the bike a little harder each day for about a week. Just be sure to be extra careful when the tires are cold (first 3-4 miles) and you'll be ok.

Jamie Daugherty
http://members.iquest.net/~daugherj

thetophatflash 01-28-2006 08:09 AM

I assume that all you naysayers have tried it both ways. I have and it works. Nothing like trying to make an emergency stop on new tires while "taking it easy".

yellowvtwin 01-28-2006 12:01 PM

Yep have tried it and been on rides with others who have tried it made no difference to the amount of slip from the tyres ,I have found I can scrub a set of tyres in in about 80k and they are fine from then on :) so it doesnt take long

superhawk22 01-28-2006 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trackday, fresh never used street tires. Now a track has more stick than street pavement but as long as you don't get on the throttle in the lean you should be fine.

RCVTR 01-28-2006 07:59 PM

Nice picture!
Makes me ache for my f%#%$% bike. sighhh..
All for a few miles of being stupid!

Anyway, I too have broken in fresh tires on the racetrack. Take a warmup lap and go.

On the street, on cold pavement I've also grabbed a handful of throttle and smashed my nuts in a wicked tankslapper with fresh tires, when I was younger and more foolish. :o

It probably helps to take the mold release off, because it is slippery. I won't criticize it. Always better to get some heat in the tires before going fast, though.

superhawk22 01-28-2006 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by RCVTR";p=&quot (Post 15704)
Nice picture!
Makes me ache for my f%#%$% bike. sighhh..
All for a few miles of being stupid!

Anyway, I too have broken in fresh tires on the racetrack. Take a warmup lap and go.

On the street, on cold pavement I've also grabbed a handful of throttle and smashed my nuts in a wicked tankslapper with fresh tires, when I was younger and more foolish. :o

It probably helps to take the mold release off, because it is slippery. I won't criticize it. Always better to get some heat in the tires before going fast, though.

Thanks that means a little bit more from you, (no offense guys). I too have had that displeasure on the street, key words grabbed a handful. :oops:

Any plans on a track only bike or is that still back burner stuff? You still got the track fairings? If I ever get any $ they would be a nice thing to have as I'm seriously considering just trackdays and no street. That would be tough though.

EMetz996 02-20-2006 11:34 AM

I'm a Design Engineer, working primarly with plastic. I can tell you, when mold release is used in a tool, the agent is molded into the top surface of the material. It is not removable by chemical or physical means, within reason. Sand paper will not remove it from rubber what-so-ever. For rubber compounds, the only option is to heat cycle the tire (and scrub it in) using the road to acomplish this.

Sand paper does absolutly noting, except ease your mind if you think it works. Sand away, have fun cleaning up. I'll be "easy riding" my new tires while you work!

woodman 02-20-2006 02:49 PM

Not all the tire companies use mold release when they make tires. There was an article in one of the mags a few years ago about tires and they interviewed some one from the company and he said they don't use mold release. Unfortunately I can't remember which company it was.