SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Rough shifting from 1st to 2nd! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rough-shifting-1st-2nd-25556/)

six6nine9wpk 05-12-2011 07:32 PM

Rough shifting from 1st to 2nd!

I'm having issues shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Im constantly finding myself trying to shift to second gear and ending up in neutral.

8541Hawk 05-12-2011 07:48 PM

When was the last time the oil was changed??

lukenukem47 05-12-2011 10:07 PM

I had the same problem until I flipped my shifter. Now I apply little presure on the shifter before I shift and touch the clutch and bam jumps right into second. When I had to lift the lever it was a battle sometimes. Not say my way was the right way but just more effective or maybe I have a lazy foot.

CrankenFine 05-13-2011 03:55 AM

I thought it was me. Mine is occasionally a little balky going from 1 to 2, and I always assumed it was sloppy technique on my part coordinating clutch and foot movement. (which admittedly, it could still be)
My oil is fresh, so in my case we know it aint that.

evines 05-13-2011 05:31 AM

I remember that it took me a while to get used to the 1-2 shift. Mine has always been very clunky and requires more deliberate toe action than the rest of the gear changes. Now I don't even notice it unless someone reminds me. But at least I can find neutral easily, unlike some other bikes I've ridden.

Does the motion pro shift star fix this?

Edit: Oops. Meant Factory Pro, not Motion Pro.

xeris 05-13-2011 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by evines (Post 302619)
I remember that it took me a while to get used to the 1-2 shift. Mine has always been very clunky and requires more deliberate toe action than the rest of the gear changes. Now I don't even notice it unless someone reminds me. But at least I can find neutral easily, unlike some other bikes I've ridden.

Yes clunky here also. Running fairly fresh Shell Rotella. Any consensus on what oil seems to help de-clunk (yeah, I know the depth of the oil type debate) the 1-2, and neutral-1 shift. Or is that just the way the Hawk is?
+1 on the Pro shift star question.

thetophatflash 05-13-2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by evines (Post 302619)

The FP kit will make the shift significantly smoother, but it won't shorten the throw. That can be dealt with somewhat by adjusting the shifter position on the shift shaft. I've had it in for 2 seasons and I'm quite satisfied with the improvement.

superhen 05-13-2011 07:27 AM

It's common to the SH. I wondered the same when I first picked up mine. There's a couple other threads on here about it.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...fting-sh-7669/

8541Hawk 05-13-2011 09:51 AM

Get one of Jamies shift levers and you will be amazed at how well the bike can shift. ;)

Daugherty Motorsports - Motorcycle Suspension Performance and Modification

1971allchaos 05-13-2011 07:20 PM

Ok, I work as a tech now. Been a MMI grad, for over ten years. Short of my 15 yrs. term in Federal Law Enforcement, Spent most of my free time turning wrenches..In my free time.
You are dealing with Honda's answer to the torque that the V-twin produces...Which is straight gears, and the process of passing thru neutral to get to second from first to second is a long gap... To solve the hard shift from first to second, You can (A) ride the bike for the torque monster that other envy... or (2)spend the $800.00 to $1200.00 dollars to have the complete transmission gears undercut - so that the gears mesh more easily.. I had the gears done- I will let you know if it is worth the bucks..........

VTRsurfer 05-13-2011 11:10 PM

Since I started wearing Dainese Torque In boots about 4 years ago, I very rarely miss a shift (for over 25 years and about 160,000 miles before that, I wore sneakers). You do have to make a positive shift though, as with all Hondas. The 1-2 clunk doesn't bother me.