SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Is it rich? (long) (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/rich-long-9279/)

ruf455 08-09-2006 11:39 AM

Is it rich? (long)

I am new to these parts and trying to avoid getting stomped on for asking a question that has been asked many times. I have done some searching and asking around and figured I would pose TWO question here:

1. Upon deceleration my bike can and will pop at the volume of a gun shot out my pipes (stock cans). This is not your tasteful burble, it's a sharp pop of extreame volume of no particular rythm. I have my suspicions that the bike is running rich.

2. I don't know what the idle speed should be. With that, my bike was idling (after running a bit) @ 1500 RPM. I thought that was high, so I lowered it to 1000 RPM. When cold and after a proper choke start, it will not stay running unless it is warmed up for an extented duration (2 min plus). If I set the idle back up, it will idle just fine. Point of concern? or deal with it? easy way to fix?

I did find out that the bike had a jet kit and Jardine pipes... I wonder if the jet kit was left in the carbs? Could this lead to my concerns?

EngineNoO9 08-09-2006 11:47 AM

read the manual. idle should be at about 1200 rpm. popping is typical on carb'd bikes especially once pipes are done. we can't control decel like they can on FI bikes. we have to tune for acceleration and decel just has to deal with it. currently mine pops like crazy on decel. doesn't help that I removed the pair system either

ruf455 08-09-2006 12:09 PM

I'll bump the idle up and see what happens. I don't have the manual (I've got the shop manual on the way) so I was in the dark on that. I've ridden v-twin bikes before this one and knew that the bike being in a rich state can really make them pop. I've never encountered random .45 cal blast out my pipes though (made a guy next to me get startled and jump a curb last night...that was some funny sh*t).

Rufion 08-09-2006 03:07 PM

Hey ruf
try the idle drop tech in the manual for setting the richness of the closed throttle pathway and then synch the carbs or smoothness. If it pops hard on closed throttle decel, sounds like its lean, and raise the idle to 1200 but youll see that i the manual, you can get it online for free, it a easy find on google or on this site.
http://www.ablett.jp/bikes/vtr/carb_tool.htm for making the tool, i made my own and dif to this one.
have fun
rufion

GoBlu 08-09-2006 03:10 PM

When I bought my bike, it was jetted for a full Scorpion system. I didn't want to pay extra for the Scorpions, so they put the stock stuff back on the bike. It would pop ramdomly on decel. Not the nice rumble and bang the my currently installed Leo's make.

I know that is no help, but I just thought I would share my experience with jetted carbs and a stock exhaust.

Hawkrider 08-09-2006 05:05 PM

Yeah, you're definitely running too rich for stock pipes. Your choices are either to rejet, though you'll have to go back to stock main jets (can be gotten at the dealer) and you'll have to play around with needle heights. Also, if you have the Dynojet kit, you'll notice holes drilled in the slides. I don't know how those will affect the jetting if you go back to stock, so be prepared to fill them with epoxy if necessary.

Rufion, that is not the carb tool we need. Our mixture screws are half-round "D" shaped, though they can be modified with a Dremel to accept a flat.

Oh yeah, and your second choice is to get some aftermarket slip-ons. :)

Speed_Demon 08-10-2006 01:11 AM

The banging during decelleration is air entering the exhaust via the pair valve. Fix or disable it. I recommend disabling it. Problem could be loose or cracked supply or vacuum hose or faulty supply valve.

ruf455 08-10-2006 04:42 AM

I'll be getting slip-ons :) ... come to find out, the bike has a dyno jet kit ...

Hawkrider 08-10-2006 02:16 PM

Congrats! Whatcha gettin?

ruf455 08-14-2006 04:52 AM

Two Bro's (best part is that I am selling my car to free up some cash for bike mods...) ... I can't wait to get them.

BTW: Got the manual and shop manual. Rufion: I set the idle to 1200 and all is happy with the bike.