SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Replacing cylinder head - any suggestions? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/replacing-cylinder-head-any-suggestions-12498/)

driven 08-28-2007 08:19 AM

Replacing cylinder head - any suggestions?

Putting a new front head on tomorrow and then reassembling the bike. Any common pitfalls I can avoid? I'm an above average mechanic but certainly not a factory trained tech. I've read the manual and all looks straightforward, but any tips or timesavers would be appreciated! I'm all set on cam timing, etc. More worried about missing something in the maze of hoses and vacuum lines! :shock:

cliby 08-28-2007 09:41 AM

pretty straight forward procedure once you get access to everything. Don't risk anything - plug all the holes into the lower engine (cam chain tunnels) no matter how careful you think you will be. Is the head all complete? valves, valve train or are you transferring everything over?

Speed_Demon 08-29-2007 02:03 PM

Just make sure to block any passages to the bottom end. Stuff gets dropped. Make sure to keep the shims in order and check the clearances. It's a good idea to change the valve stem seals.

All those things you probably already knew. It's a pretty easy install just make sure you plug the petcock vacuum line on the correct nipple and seat the carbs fully. Good luck.

Speed_Demon 08-29-2007 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cliby (Post 127708)
Is the head all complete? valves, valve train or are you transferring everything over?

If you are swapping parts between heads you are surely going to be far out on the valve clearances. If so I suggest assembling the head outside of the bike and adjusting the valves before installation. It would be alot easier and you wouldn't run the risk of losing shims into the motor.

driven 08-30-2007 05:00 AM

No swapping parts from head to head. I did check clearances anyway before installing. They were on the loose end of the spec, but still ok. Got everything buttoned up last night. Assembly went fine.

*Until*

Did my check and double check, turned the key, and hit the button. Turned over smoothly for 10 seconds or so. No fire as expected since the bowls were completely dry. It's a good thing it didn't fire as I started getting a slap coming from - you guessed it - the cam chain. I don't know what's wrong. My cct has no spring (broken) so I tensioned it manually and put a locking bolt in so it couldn't have moved. The only thing I can guess is that I should have rotated the motor a few times after tightening the cct to allow things to 'seat' and then retightened it. Other than that I'm at a loss. I'll be disassembling tonight - just what I wanted to do.

driven 08-30-2007 10:26 AM

Couldn't wait. Ran home on my lunch hour and tore it apart. This morning I read the installation instructions for an APE tensioner (not what I have but same idea) and it confirmed what I suspected. My error - I set the cam timing and tightened the CCT as it sat. I didn't rotate the motor while continuing to tighten the cct screw which apparently is the only way to take all the slack out. Anyway, good news - I didn't break anything! Didn't have time to completely reassemble But will when I get home. I did crank it over after doing things correctly and no issues that I can see. I'm really hoping I get to hear an exhaust note tonight!

cliby 08-30-2007 01:21 PM

wow, great luck. Reading it my heart sank - glad to hear it all looks OK - by OK you mean you've been able to check the cam timing marks etc, and all is good I'm guessing.

driven 08-30-2007 01:42 PM

Had to reset - it had jumped. I quit cranking when I heard the clicking. No piston/valve contact. I did notice when removing my tank that there was no fuel in either line which kept it from firing and saved a catastrophy. Thank God! Tank was nearly empty so perhaps it didn't switch to reserve? I will put it all back together and fill the tank. I know the vac line was on the correct barb.

driven 08-30-2007 07:10 PM

Well, I've decided to wait until I have the APEs installed before going any further. I don't want to risk damage. I did find out that my petcock was switched off (bike was partially disassembled whenI got it), so once all is properly buttoned up I'm sure it will fire right up! Stupid me thought I could fabricate something that would lock the stock cct, but I don't trust it...*so*...now I have to pay extra shipping to get the APEs here Saturday. Time is ticking away on the riding season here in Maine!