SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Replacing Clutch Lever (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/replacing-clutch-lever-29540/)

memmakersorg 12-07-2012 04:32 PM

Replacing Clutch Lever

Hi,

I need to replace the clutch lever on my SH.

Does someone have a link to a good video or article that explains how to change it.

Thanks.

smokinjoe73 12-07-2012 06:31 PM

Search this forum (maybe knowledge base) for the repair manual. I believe everything on the bike is covered there. Its a pdf you can download then print the page you need.

8541Hawk 12-07-2012 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 345886)
Just remove the nut and bolt securing the lever to its mount, then install the new lever. There are no surprises. Use moly lube, or some type of semi-heavy grease, to lube all friction points. And don't tighten the bolt too tight. It needs to operate freely.

:iagree:

comedo 12-08-2012 06:20 AM

The clutch lever has a cylindrical brass insert in it with an indentation. There's a small post in the plunger the lever pushes against that has to fit into the indentation. Other than that, it's pretty much the same as changing the brake lever. It'll probably take more time to find a flat screwdriver, grease and a 10 mm. wrench than it will take to change the lever.

memmakersorg 12-10-2012 12:43 AM

Thanks guys,

I found me this one on ebay

Honda VTR1000 F Super Hawk Clutch Lever 98 05 | eBay

Look good to you guys?

Thanks.

smokinjoe73 12-10-2012 07:23 AM

My 2 cents is to look for brake and clutch together. You'll save on shipping and bikes inherently/inevidably tip, breaking levers. This leaves you stranded til a new one comes so always keep spares.
Something like this Honda VFR 800 VFR800A Inteceptor VTR 1000 Black Brake Clutch Hand Lever Set | eBay

Surfer, I mention the manual because it seems if someone is even asking the question about the lever, then yeah, there will be surprises.

Mem, take pics and ask questions. Knowledge abounds on here and you have to start learning somewhere.

killer5280 12-10-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 345992)
My 2 cents is to look for brake and clutch together. You'll save on shipping and bikes inherently/inevidably tip, breaking levers. This leaves you stranded til a new one comes so always keep spares.
Something like this Honda VFR 800 VFR800A Inteceptor VTR 1000 Black Brake Clutch Hand Lever Set | eBay

Surfer, I mention the manual because it seems if someone is even asking the question about the lever, then yeah, there will be surprises.

Mem, take pics and ask questions. Knowledge abounds on here and you have to start learning somewhere.

My advice exactly. In fact, I just did this last week and the psychomotogear levers work just fine. If you don't like black they have them in plain old polished aluminum, which is what I bought.
Honda VFR 800 VFR800A Inteceptor VTR 1000 Polish Brake Clutch Hand Lever Set | eBay

For about 10 bucks more you can get the cheap Chi-nee Pazzo knockoffs, but there is nothing wrong with the stock style levers.